Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Pentax K-5 vs. Panasonic GH2

mikeyc71 e2
11 1.2k
27 Dec 2010 6:24PM
I am looking to ditch my Canon EOS20D and assortment of L grade lens for a more compact and up-to-date kit.

I am looking at the Panasonic GH2 or Pentax K-5, but I am not sure how compact the Pentax is, but according to the dimensions it appears to be smaller in width that the GH2. Can anyone confirm this?

The reason I am offloading my Canon equipment is because I don't wish to lug my equipment around and I do not wish to upgrade my 20D because I am not convinced by the current EOS bodies available and they're too expensive. It seems, at the moment, the GH2 is the one to go for and I was considering pairing up the GH2 with the excellent Pana Leica 14-50mm f3.8-5.6 with an adapter for the GH2.

I have looked at the current stock of Pentax lenses and I am disappointed with the optical quality of these lenses -- none simply come anywhere near as sharp as the Pana Leica 14-50mm f3.5-5.6 unless somebody can tell me any different.

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
27 Dec 2010 6:32PM
If your 20D was too big the K5 will not be an improvement.

Quote:none simply come anywhere near as sharp as the Pana Leica 14-50mm f3.5-5.6 unless somebody can tell me any different

Only one, the Olympus 14-54 Smile

But on the G2 the Pany would be better.
mikeyc71 e2
11 1.2k
27 Dec 2010 6:42PM
Thanks Paul, I guess I will go for the GH2 as that was my first instinct until Pentax chucked the K-5 into the ring Smile

Would you know if the GH2 is a lot smaller than the 20D? Its no point me buying one if they're the same size-ish Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
27 Dec 2010 6:53PM
20D
Size 144 x 106 x 72 mm (5.6 x 4.2 x 2.8 in)
weight 770 g (1.7 lb) with battery

G2
Size 124 mm x 84 mm x 74 mm (4.88 x 3.29 x 2.91 in )
Weight 428 g with battery
mikeyc71 e2
11 1.2k
27 Dec 2010 7:07PM
Wow that is some difference in size and weight! I guess the GH2 will be predominantly made of plastic then to get the weight down to 420g with a battery. It's gonna feel weird in my hands as I am used to the weight and size of my 20D Smile
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
27 Dec 2010 7:08PM
What about the Sony NEX series?
mikeyc71 e2
11 1.2k
27 Dec 2010 7:15PM
Unfortunately, I don't like the look of the Sony NEX cameras
Phil1958 5 272 4 Wales
31 Dec 2010 1:25AM
Bear in mind that the GH2 doesn't have a mirror (hence it's smaller size!) so you will have an electronic viewfinder as opposed to an optical one on the Pentax. Shutter lag may also be a problem. A recent review of the K5 likened it as a serious contender to the 5D2 had it been full frame. But at the end of the day "horses for courses" etc. Not biased towards either camera as I am a Canon user.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
31 Dec 2010 12:56PM

Quote:Shutter lag may also be a problem

I don`t believe so, its not a digicam.
Phil1958 5 272 4 Wales
2 Jan 2011 4:21PM

Quote:Shutter lag may also be a problem

I don`t believe so, its not a digicam.

May not be as bad as compacts but it must be slower than a DSLR with a mirror. Just a thought!
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2011 5:38PM
A DSLR has shutter lag because the mirror takes a fraction of second to swing up out of the way.
You don't get this with rangefinder and TLR cameras, and surprisingly it can make a difference.

My GX100 very compact digital and my GH1 also don't have shutter lag at all, because they don't have a mirror.
That might sound odd, but I do tend to use manual modes where possible, and manual lenses on the GH1.

I think what people call shutter lag is usually the time taken for metering and autofocus when not used manually.
Possibly also the delay in storing data, which can prevent taking the next frame.

With the GX100, I do sometimes notice a momentary delay when using af, and the time taken to store a high res raw makes it really a one shot camera. (The solution is to use snapshot mode and jpeg where necessary) On the GH1 I haven't noticed that, but as stated, I usually operate manually. It does seem to have a small buffer, as compared to a DSLR, and will briefly seize up after a few frames of rapid fire, which is, like the GX100, because its still digesting the data.

I don't think there is any particular reason why a GH2 would be slower than a DSLR at auto exposure or auto focus, but couldn't really say, I'm just puzzled by some of the comments here. Whatever is meant by shutter lag, I wouldn't expect it would be a problem with a GH2.

See this comment http://www.radiantlite.com/2010/09/panasonic-gh2-the-fastest-micro-four-thirds-system-ever.html
Phil1958 5 272 4 Wales
3 Jan 2011 6:32PM
Thanks Keith, I always thought shutter lag was the time taken from pressing the shutter to get the image - ie on a DSLR, once you press the shutter, the image is recorded almost immediately therefore getting the likes of action shots but with compacts there is a slight delay because there isn't a mirror - friends of mine have upgraded to a DSLR because they noticed when trying to get action shots of their children eg jumping in the pool etc, once they pressed the shutter the action had gone so to speak ie due to shutter lag. I just assumed the same would be true on a GH2 as it's a mirrorless camera. I think what you refer to above regarding the time taken for metering and autofocus is actually called AE & AF lag which does have a similar effect. Anyone who wants to know more about shutter lag can refer to Wikipedia which explains it all nicely. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_lag)
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
5 Jan 2011 11:46AM
I have a Panasonic GF1 (which has the same sensor as the GH2, I believe) and a Pentax K5.

In terms of image quality, they are not comparable, the Pentax being 3-4 stops ahead in noise quality as it should be. Nevertheless, the GF1 has excellent quality in its own right, the K5 being simply superb.

Shutter lag is a non-issue with both of them. The Pentax, in-body or in-lens, can focus more quickly but under any normal conditions, no faster than the GF1 with the 20mm 1.7. That is a measure how good the GF is rather than a condemnation of the K5, though!

I have the 14-140mm zoom for the Panasonic and there is no question that the shake reduction on that lens is better then the SR on the Pentax body.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2011 12:17PM
Not certain shutter lag is the correct term these days but there will be differences in how a camera reacts with and without a mirror and as usual there is win and loss. With camera like the GH then with no mirror the sensor is used to capture the viewfinder image and the autofocus is achieved from the video signal using contrast detection techniques. For static subjects this is good news as it is very accurate, but its not so hot at coping with moving subjects, well not compared to the phase detection system you get in SLRs.

as the view is from the sensor it can be handy with the EVF, but again if you are moving around then you can sometimes move faster than the video can keep up and you get tearing and lag issues. But you can overlay photo taking data very easy and you can have a bright viewfinder in the dark. And of course the other downside is the battery life is reduced as the EVF needs powering and then there is the slight issue of you heating/powering the sensor a lot of the time.

So depending on the shooting conditions, there may be some conditions where the GH camera would be slower to react, but there will also be conditions where it will run just as well.

So for a compact camera kit I think the GH series have attractions. But on lenses I would question using a 4/3 lens on an adapter over getting the correct m4/3 lens as the beauty of the system is the smaller lenses and camera, making it too big defeats the objective. I hear some people like using the adapters to allow the use of old manual focus lenses.
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2011 1:37PM

Quote:I would question using a 4/3 lens on an adapter over getting the correct m4/3 lens as the beauty of the system is the smaller lenses and camera

The zoom lens supplied with a GH1 is very clever as a point and shoot video lens, but relatively big and heavy.
Many old soviet lenses are much more compact and lightweight, and arguably give better still image quality.
There are also cctv and 16mm tv lenses which are compact and light, they may not always cover the sensor, but are often very usable.
Many of these lenses are also amazingly cheap. If you get a used G1 body only, they're a wery cost effective choice.
I haven't tried the very popular FD lenses, which presumably are SLR size and weight, but even those would make sense from this point of view.

The other practical reason for adapting, aside from the aesthetic experiment, is if you use another camera system, and share lenses.
For example, using a Leica film camera, the M43 camera offers a digital option without carrying two sets of lenses.
Using manual lenses with a DSLR, the GH1 gives a back up body and a decent video option, again without any extra lenses.
They're light enough to use a second body without really noticing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.