Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pentax K-x

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MattGrayson
    17 Sep 2009 - 2:31 PM

All quiet about the Pentax K-x DSLR camera, is no-one bothered? I've done a preview of it and it doesn't look at all bad.

What's your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Sep 2009 - 2:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fauxtography
    17 Sep 2009 - 3:02 PM

Quote: and it doesn't look at all bad.

It looks bloomin' hideous in red.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Sep 2009 - 3:16 PM

I like the red body but the red lenses don't look right. Panasonic have done similar. Can anyone remember the khaki green limited editions of certain cameras in the 70s. And the gold ones? Even Leica and Hasselblad went down those roads.

fauxtography
    17 Sep 2009 - 3:21 PM

Still doesn't make it right Grin

Smaller bodied cameras, like compacts can get away with colour, not on an SLR sized one though.

riprap007
    riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Sep 2009 - 3:25 PM

Quote: . Can anyone remember the khaki green limited editions of certain cameras in the 70s.

Oh Yes, and hideous - I have avoided those Wink

DunDiggin
    DunDiggin  760 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Sep 2009 - 3:32 PM

Have you seen the Japanese micro site for the K-x? 20 different body colour options, each with 5 grip colour options. Micro site lets you play with the combinations - and there's a chart of the top 36 favourites as voted by people clicking the I Love It button as they trial the combinations.

I am surprised they're restricting the US and European markets to a limited set of 4 colour options. Maybe they think we're too conservative to go for anything that funky.

My personal view is that some of the colour options (particularly the metallics) work better than others. Some look a bit tacky/plasticky for my taste (e.g. the chocolate).

But, for the target market of families wanting a first DSLR to get good quality photos of their kids, what's wrong with a funky colour? I think the fact the colourful ones don't look serious is a positive point - I just feel it is odd that we in the UK won't have the full set of colour options unless we buy grey imports.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Sep 2009 - 6:46 PM

The note regarding ISO and image quality is interesting.

It might also explain Nikons approach, It would seem the old ideas surrounding lower ISO figures are not relevant to digital cameras, Therefore its of little use to make direct comaprisons between film & digital ISO speeds.

MattGrayson
    17 Sep 2009 - 8:09 PM

Good point.

With regards to the colours, the Japanese have gone wild for the coloured cameras, hence the multiple choice in Japan only. The GH1 is a nice colour but isn't as harsh a red. Personally, I'm a black camera guy and I'm not really keen on alternative colours.

pentaxpete
    20 Sep 2009 - 11:36 AM

The only reason I would get another PENTAX is if it was FULL-FRAME and I can use all my old lenses even the 1960-70's screw fit and if it had a flash socket for studio flash leads and a flash synchronise speed of 1/250 as Canon and Nikon have managed -- why does PENTAX not have all this -- and if I want to take VIDEO I use my VIDEO camera-- not pay extra for video in a still camera !

cathal
    cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2009 - 12:35 PM

Quote: Can anyone remember the khaki green limited editions of certain cameras in the 70s. And the gold ones? Even Leica and Hasselblad went down those roads.

Ah yes, very much from the days when cameras were worn as status symbols. That Leica and Hasselblad got in on the act only strengthens the argument, and proves conclusively that money and good taste are not always good friends.

I've not had a detailed look at the Kx, though I do have a soft spot for Pentax, and have a few bits of Pentax gear. Other than funky colours (which sort of points towards a particular market segment) I don't think this camera moves the goalposts for a low end dSLR.

The Pentax dSLR I'm holding out for though is a full frame model, to take advantage of all those really nice (and really cheap) SMC lenses that you can pick up for, in some cases, the cost of a magazine. I need not have a huge spec either... An MX or MZ5 with a full frame sensor will do.

I guess if they sell enough Kx bodies they might have the funds to do it, and the will they / won't they 645D.

MattGrayson
    7 Oct 2009 - 10:19 AM

I have the Pentax K-x in for review. I'm currently working on it so keep focused on the review section for updates... Smile

Give me a click!

MattGrayson
    11 Oct 2009 - 8:17 PM

The Pentax K-x review is finished. Smile

Pentax K-x review

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 11 Oct 2009 - 9:05 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.