Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pentax K-x ISO

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Perry_95
    Perry_95  359 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Feb 2011 - 6:28 PM

I seem to be finding that even in fairly ok lighting my camera wants an extremely high ISO (6400) and if i manually lower it then the pictures are either really dark or the shutter speed gets lowered. Is this just because it is actually poor lighting and i shood wait untill the summer when there is lots of light. Bearing in mind i was in a large studio room in my school where the lighitng isnt the greatest.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Feb 2011 - 6:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113103 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Feb 2011 - 6:46 PM

Hi James, what settings are you using? ie, shooting in auto, shutter priority, aperture priority?

I use a k -X and rarely go above iso 800(unless I'm in dark interiors etc)

Ken

Perry_95
    11 Feb 2011 - 8:29 PM

i use shutter priority, it with around 1/100 for portraits, and then the f/stop would be 5.6 and then the ISO kept going to ISO and me or my "teacher" couldnt figure out why.

bagman
    bagman  365 forum posts United States
    11 Feb 2011 - 9:10 PM

perry 95
    I work inside doing pic,s of flowers or portraits. i use pg or av mode at 1250 or less , many times hand held. yes useing a kx camera.

franf

bagman
    bagman  365 forum posts United States
    11 Feb 2011 - 9:23 PM

sorry you didn"t say what lens you are useing. that could make a big change in out come your haveing in pic,s.

frank.

gpwalton
    gpwalton  1390 forum posts
    11 Feb 2011 - 9:25 PM

If you are shooting indoors and not using flash, then I think that 100th sec shutter speed is a little optomistic. If your subject is static then use lower shutter speeds with the image stabilisation on.

The Pentax KX is a great camera for low light situations.

Perry_95
    12 Feb 2011 - 1:45 PM

okay, i was using the 50-200mm kit lens, and if 100th sec shutter speed is optomistic then thats all i need to know, i didnt know if there was a problem with my camera or there was infact too little light. It was hard to say because i dont have a device that measures the amount of light, i dont even know if there is one!! Tongue so thank you, i have just come back from walking my dog on a very sunny day and i was able to go up to around 2000th sec shutter speed with ISO around 200-800

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7744 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Feb 2011 - 2:48 PM

I keep the camera on 100 iso as far as possible, occassionally go to 200, It sounds like you've got the auto iso feature selected which will keep increasing the iso until the camera likes the shutter speed, you can restrict the upper limit within the menu.

Personally I'd up the iso manually as required for each situation, keeping it at the lowest possible, prefer using a tripod / monopod for support rather than increasing iso.

Cheers

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 12 Feb 2011 - 2:48 PM
    Perry_95
    12 Feb 2011 - 5:11 PM

okay, thanks for the tip but the lowest ISO on my camera is 200 and ive read that it can be extended to 100 but dont know how.

Toonman
    Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2011 - 7:24 AM

The iso is set to iso 200 for a reason. Base iso has a lower dynamic range than 200. ISO 200 hundred is the optimum minimum iso on your kx.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.