Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Pentax K10 & Tamron 10-24mm

12 Mar 2010 7:58PM
SadI am having problems with the autofocus on my new Tamron 10-24mm Aspherical Di11 with my Pentax K10d. I've tried it on 2 bodies, same problem. It simply will not 'lock on' reliably. If I do manage to get the autofocus to 'latch' the resulting image is horribly out of focus. Other lenses (including Tamron 18 - 250mm Aspherical Di11) are all fine on teh cameras. Returned to supplier twice & they say there is nothing wrong with it. Can anyone help?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pentaxian e2
5 12 1
12 Mar 2010 11:18PM
Just a thought, as a K7 owner and former K10 user.

When I had similar problems with my old K10 they were down to a simple error I had made. Could it be you are having the same problem?

Have you got your autofocus set on AUTO or SEL(ECTIVE)? If it is on SEL, which mine usually is, make sure that you have not inadvertently shifted the red dot that selects your point of focus to a peripheral area of the frame where there may not be much to focus on (such as featureless sky). This will make the autofocus hunt like mad.

It is easy to do this as your cheek can very easily catch the button that adjusts this.

I hope the cure for your problem turns out to be that simple. But it is worth checking.
14 Mar 2010 11:21AM
Pentaxian - thanks for your tip. I have the same problem whereever the autofocus is set.

I naturally think it's something I'm doing wrong - the camera and other lenses produce excellent results and the supplier has done a lot of testing on the lens on a range of bodies.

I am at a loss.

Thanks again for your interest.
pentaxian e2
5 12 1
15 Mar 2010 3:33PM
I would be at a loss to understand this myself. If other lenses work OK, how can it be anything other than the Tamron lens?

If the autofocus was not working at all with the lens, rather than just hunting and trying to get a lock, one could assume a problem with the electrical contacts.

Best of luck with it.
Bellie e2
8 507
15 Mar 2010 3:59PM
I wonder if you might get some further advice if you posted on the pentaxuser site too. It is a sister site to EPZ and the users might have come across something similar.
16 Mar 2010 7:52AM
Thanks Bellie, I'll give that a try.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.