Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pentax K10D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mex
    mex e2 Member 6mex vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2008 - 8:57 AM

Hi all, i have just bought a k10d. and i can't upload the pix onto my pc, i have put the software on, connected my k10d but it will not transfer, i click on easy image transfer and a box comes up reading could not find D.C.F. media, can anyone help ?. thanks
    phil

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Mar 2008 - 8:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bobmackie
    Bobmackie  12 United Kingdom
    27 Mar 2008 - 9:18 AM

Have u tried removing card from camera and using a card reader---- Sounds like a software prob ---ask Pentax Club Forum

mex
    27 Mar 2008 - 9:20 AM

cheers bob, will do thanks

franken
    franken e2 Member 113027 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2008 - 9:23 AM

It's so much easier to use a card reader, they are really cheap and they don't drain your camera batteries when you download.

Ken

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2008 - 10:28 AM

Quote: D.C.F. media

In case you do want to use the direct from camera approach, Take a look at your owners manual, for information relating to this....!

Canon & Nikon for example have at least 2 options for " Mass Storage " data transfer...!

You may need to change the setting within the camera's menu.....!

Although it's a great idea to have a card reader handy......They are not the best approach to downloading images from your camera...! ! !

Here is why.....Continual removal & replacing cards in the camera, Will increase wear & tear on the Cameras pins, As well as wear on the memory card connections........Sad

There is always a risk of bending bins within the camera ( especially CF card users )......The less times you change cards OR remove them, Will lessen the risk....!

Each time a card is removed & replaced, Is another time that dust/grit or other nasties can enter the camera body.......!

So yeah! By all means have a card reader handy, For use as and when you have too.....!

But for everyday downloading......Direct from the camera is a safer bet......!

AnthonyM
    AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2008 - 10:47 AM

Question... do you perhaps use Windows Vista?

Power off the machine.
    Plug in the camera.
    Power up the machine and log on.

See if that helps. It worked for my K10D. (and for my SDHC reader, and for my internal SD card reader, and for my USB hard drive)
    Vista has some screwy weirdness with loading and actually activating new devices. If that does work, you should not have to do anything weird after that.
    An OS far from being ready for release.

Also, there is a setting under the Setup menu for Transfer Mode. Make sure it is set to "PC". See if that helps as well. Or try PC-F" The manual suggests the latter if you are having USB transfer issues. Although I cannot find a definition for the difference.

Last Modified By AnthonyM at 27 Mar 2008 - 10:52 AM
    franken
    franken e2 Member 113027 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2008 - 12:47 PM

I've taken out/returned memory cards to one of my cameras for over 3 years now without a single problem.

Ken

mex
    27 Mar 2008 - 4:17 PM

thanks all, anthonym done pc and pc-f still no joy
    thanks (will try again)

javam
    javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2008 - 7:06 PM

24,000 shots taken with my K10D, every one loaded on to the computer using a card reader, no problems yet.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2008 - 7:24 PM

Card reader every time as I couldn't be doing with all the hassle connecting the camera to the computer.
    I think its a bit paranoid with the dust from that chamber.
    As the K10D uses SD cards there isn't the pins a CF has.
    Ken

Last Modified By KenTaylor at 27 Mar 2008 - 7:25 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.