Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

Pentax K10D

mex 7 23 3 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2008 8:57AM
Hi all, i have just bought a k10d. and i can't upload the pix onto my pc, i have put the software on, connected my k10d but it will not transfer, i click on easy image transfer and a box comes up reading could not find D.C.F. media, can anyone help ?. thanks
phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bobmackie 13 1 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2008 9:18AM
Have u tried removing card from camera and using a card reader---- Sounds like a software prob ---ask Pentax Club Forum
27 Mar 2008 9:20AM
cheers bob, will do thanks
franken Plus
12 3.5k 4 Wales
27 Mar 2008 9:23AM
It's so much easier to use a card reader, they are really cheap and they don't drain your camera batteries when you download.

Ken
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
27 Mar 2008 10:28AM

Quote:D.C.F. media

In case you do want to use the direct from camera approach, Take a look at your owners manual, for information relating to this....!

Canon & Nikon for example have at least 2 options for " Mass Storage " data transfer...!

You may need to change the setting within the camera's menu.....!

Although it's a great idea to have a card reader handy......They are not the best approach to downloading images from your camera...! ! !

Here is why.....Continual removal & replacing cards in the camera, Will increase wear & tear on the Cameras pins, As well as wear on the memory card connections........Sad

There is always a risk of bending bins within the camera ( especially CF card users )......The less times you change cards OR remove them, Will lessen the risk....!

Each time a card is removed & replaced, Is another time that dust/grit or other nasties can enter the camera body.......!

So yeah! By all means have a card reader handy, For use as and when you have too.....!

But for everyday downloading......Direct from the camera is a safer bet......!
AnthonyM 10 388 2 United States
27 Mar 2008 10:47AM
Question... do you perhaps use Windows Vista?

Power off the machine.
Plug in the camera.
Power up the machine and log on.

See if that helps. It worked for my K10D. (and for my SDHC reader, and for my internal SD card reader, and for my USB hard drive)
Vista has some screwy weirdness with loading and actually activating new devices. If that does work, you should not have to do anything weird after that.
An OS far from being ready for release.

Also, there is a setting under the Setup menu for Transfer Mode. Make sure it is set to "PC". See if that helps as well. Or try PC-F" The manual suggests the latter if you are having USB transfer issues. Although I cannot find a definition for the difference.
franken Plus
12 3.5k 4 Wales
27 Mar 2008 12:47PM
I've taken out/returned memory cards to one of my cameras for over 3 years now without a single problem.

Ken
27 Mar 2008 4:17PM
thanks all, anthonym done pc and pc-f still no joy
thanks (will try again)
javam 10 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2008 7:06PM
24,000 shots taken with my K10D, every one loaded on to the computer using a card reader, no problems yet.
KenTaylor Plus
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2008 7:24PM
Card reader every time as I couldn't be doing with all the hassle connecting the camera to the computer.
I think its a bit paranoid with the dust from that chamber.
As the K10D uses SD cards there isn't the pins a CF has.
Ken

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.