Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Pentax K30, A punters first impression.

23 Jul 2012 1:27PM
I just had a play with the new K30 at my local dealer. Its as they say a 'photographers' camera. Every thing is in easy reach and the buttons are large and logically placed unlike some cameras I could mention.
The menue display is one of the best I have used and is logical and easy to navigate with not many settings buried too deeply again unlike some cameras I could mention.
The OVF is superb being 100% and and its an average weight. The only thing I found negative and this is my personal opinion, the right hand grip is quite narrow and juts out a tad too far for my liking making it not quite as comfortable as other cameras to wrap your fingers round, I'm sure you would get used to it pretty quickly though. Although not as minature as the Sony A37 its below average in size, similar to the older Kr.

A great camera, but it needs to be around £675+ to be more competative with the big boys.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2012 1:03AM
How does £600 grab you for camera then. Or £650 with a lens.
24 Jul 2012 7:19AM
Thanks strawman, my local dealer seems to be clinging on to the launch price, but I guess for not much longer, WEX looks a good deal. We need to see a few reviews now to get a cross section of opinion.
4 Nov 2012 7:26PM
£369 for the body+spare battery at SRS and then you can claim £50 back from Pentax which brings it down to £319 hows that for a bargain!Grin
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 8:19PM

Quote:£369 for the body+spare battery at SRS and then you can claim £50 back from Pentax which brings it down to £319 hows that for a bargain!Grin

Indeed a bargain although the big guns will be foremost sadly to many looking for a first DSLR.
The dual power is a neat addition.
5 Nov 2012 8:54AM
Ken
I was in SRS Saturday for the Pentax day and I was very impressed with the deals being offered, especially for the K30, its a steal.

I visit my local Jessops quite often as its walking distance from home and I have got to know the staff quite well. I was in the other day and it was quite an eye opener to over hear their sales techniques to the customers. If the customer was looking at DSLR's such as Nikon or Canon, they were really pushed as the best there is, Nikon by a short head. Sony's were not pushed that hard even though I think they are now great cameras.

I asked the sales manager why they don't sell Pentax DSLR cameras such as the new K30, like they used to with the KR and he said, no body wanted them and they sat on the shelves too long, he said our premier branches do sell them. He said for every Pentax I sold, I would sell 20 Nikons or Canons and it was a similar story with Olympus before Olympus stopped making consumer
E system DSLR's.

Jessops sell more cameras than any other outlet in the UK but they seem to only sell what sells not to mention the fact that Canon UK have invested in Jessops.
blob e2
2 1
17 Dec 2012 9:22PM
That last bit is interesting - I didn't know canon had a chunk of Jessops.

I had the same experience though, the salesman pushed nikon but couldn't offer any reason why that was better.

I'm just moving to pentax from olympus, mainly because oly seem to have abandoned consumer dslrs.

Liking the K30 though.
strawman e2
17 Dec 2012 11:11PM

Quote:I didn't know canon had a chunk of Jessops.
JESSOPS INTERVIEW: CANON TIE-UP AND HSBC TALK ‘RUBBISH’
18 Dec 2012 9:25AM
The whole photo industry is full of rumours, I read the rumour of the Canon investment in Jessops on another site. Who knows just what deals go on behind the scenes.

I have also jumped ship from Olympus to Sony because of their rather annoying move to dump 4Thirds users regardless of all those 4thirds lenses out there. It seems Olympus are putting all their eggs in one basket with the M4T format. Changing systems is not a cheap exercise.
strawman e2
18 Dec 2012 1:03PM
Moving to m4/3 was the smartest thing Olympus did and they have offered adaptors, they had to do it in order to survive I believe. Look at how much better the m4/3 cameras sell. Sony may have to make a similar choice, who knows what the next year will bring.

I am surprised at how well that Canon and Jessops rumour spread, it offered little to Canon. It could be they relaxed their terms a bit, I know a camera dealer who was complaining that the last set of Canon T&C's made his life harder and hit his cash flow.
18 Dec 2012 2:39PM
It may have been a smart move by Olympus to move over to Micro 4thirds as you say, in order to survive, and I don't blame them for that. However, in that process they have alientated many 4Thirds E-XX users. Look at some of the posts on the 4thirds forum, they are not a happy bunch.

The current adaptors offered to fit 4thirds lenses to the M4T OM-D E-M5 has caused focussing and metering issues on some of the pro level lenses. Olympus said they hope to resolve it, perhaps with a new body.
Sony and the Sony Alpha rumour sites have hinted that NEX technology might be incorperated into the next generation of SLT bodies, so it doesn't look like their SLT/DSLR bodies are going to be dropped any time soon, especially after the huge investment into the A37/57/65/77 and more recently the A99.

I have a micro 4thirds Panasonic G3 with a 14-45, 45-200, and a lovely little Oly 9-18.
Nice camera, great lenses, shame my Sony A37 is so much easier to use and gives nicer colours and tonal range [in my opinion] and I have all those excellent Konica/Minolta AF lenses to look for at bargain prices.
CP140 e2
2 7 Canada
25 Feb 2013 7:01AM
I have a K-30, a Panasonic FZ200 and a small waterproof Panasonic P+S. Obviously the P+S can't compete with the first two, but the K-30 is far and away a better camera when compared to an all-in-one ultrazoom.

The ability to use AA batteries can be a "lifesaver"

Manual zoom is more precise and easier to use than an electronic zoom.

Any zoom lens is a comprimise. The less you zoom, the less you have to comprimise. There is of course an issue when cost vs image quality is factored in. Having said that, any DSLR ***matched with a shorter zoom ratio lens *** will beat a bridge camera with a 50:1 zoom.

Being able to scope out a subject, without having to wait for the camera to power up, can be very handy.

I just returned from a trip to Australia... of 2000 images captured, 5% were done with the P+S (because it is waterproof), another 5% with the FZ200 (quick and easy) but far and away the bulk were done with the K-30.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.