Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pentax Kr

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kodachrome
3 Nov 2011 - 6:17 PM

After reading a luke warm review in DP Reviews on the Pentax Kr and a very positive top marks review in Amateur Photographer, Trusted reviews and Expert reviews, it makes me wonder which review to to take notice of if any. Any one have an opinion on the Kr, I would be glad to hear it. Most of my work is land scape. Would a better quality general purpose zoom lens be an advantage?

Pete

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Nov 2011 - 6:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2011 - 6:24 PM

Our reviewer liked it too. We have several pictures that you can view full size to help you make an assessment.
Pentax K-r review

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2011 - 7:27 PM

I find negative criticism is more important than glowing reports when assessing reviews because it tells me more about the limitations of a piece of gear and so I will read a variety of reviews and see how it matches against what I think is important to me. I will always read DPReview when looking to buy something new, but I am also aware that it is a very analytical, mechanistic approach to reviews. Other reviews tell me more about how it handles and the subjective side of things: AP reviews things in relation to general handling, and Trusted/Expert reviews tend to be impulse comments from new buyers. But in every case 'value' is incredibly subjective - it tells me only that someone thinks camera A is better value than camera B because Camera A may be inferior but the price difference is what makes it better value.

In the last few years, photographers have been in the fantastic position that the capabilities of almost any gear will surpass what many buyers are truly capable of, so it is not easy to make a bad decision on performance alone. Whether you prefer wheels versus buttons, EVF versus optical VF is down to personal preference.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014813 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2011 - 7:55 PM

Having bounced around from brand to brand more than I would like to admit, I find the most important requirement that I look for now is does the brand have the lenses available that I will want, and are they at prices which I am willing to pay. I have also narrowed my lens list down to those I will use, and not ones I would just like to have. I suppose I could say I look at it in as practical a light as possible.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 3 Nov 2011 - 7:56 PM
kodachrome
4 Nov 2011 - 7:47 AM

Hi guys

You make some good points I tended to ignore, such as the lens base behind the brand. Canon and Nikon have a vast lens base although I have to say at the very cheap end they are mostly milk bottles with one or two rare exceptions,

My interest in Pentax is for a couple reasons, mainly the lenses are good to very good and don't cost a fortune, they are also slightly smaller and lighter due to no in lens IS. Lastly and probably for the wrong reason, every body and his brother has a Canon or Nikon so I wanted to be different.

The Pentax bodies seem rugged and nicely designed. But its image quality for lanscapes that is my criterior with the capability of good resolution/detail. Plus of course they are a good price.

Agreed about the reviews, DPreviews are very analytical and tend to split hairs.
Camera Labs seems to be a pretty fair and balanced with fairly good logic behind their verdicts, but they have not reviewed the Kr to my knowledge.
As you say this site reviewed the Kr and gave it top marks.

Cheers

Pete

petemasty
petemasty  5155 forum posts England
13 Nov 2011 - 8:22 PM

Just bought the Kr with the DAL kit lens. Had a Canon 7d before, but wanted a smaller, lighter DSLR AND without all the stuff i just don't use. The Kr i think fits perfectly. It's noise control is absolutely superb and on a par with the Fuji X100 (which i have), and the fujinon lens attached to the X100 is very highly regarded indeed.. I'd also say that the kit lens gives excellent results. i did a test shot using the 18-55mm and the X100, both at the same exposure settings. There is no difference at all. I'm seriously impressed by the Kr. Yes, the kit lenses are noisy but i aint using it to sneak up on people or animals.

i've only ever used the basic settings on a camera so all the bells and whistles are wasted on me. The Kr in my humble opinion deserves its place amongst the top rated DSLRs currently on the market, and if price is taken into account, it should be top.

Kodachrome. i think you'll be very happy with the results you get from the Kr and the kit lens. any other lens above the kit lens can only improve it further.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014813 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2011 - 9:00 PM

The low end Pentax lenses also get top marks. I had a K20D, and it was a good, solid camera. The kit lenses were amongst the top in every review I read, plus the 18-55mm has good min close focus distance. I also had the older Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro lens, and it's a bit heavy, but it's metal, and built like a tank, and available on Ebay and Amazon for a very reasonable price. If you don't think you'll be looking for any longer than the 300mm f4.0, you'll be very happy with Pentax.

kodachrome
14 Nov 2011 - 7:47 AM

Thanks guys

Some useful recommendations, I'm not surprised Pentax lenses get good reviews as most are made by Hoya the parent company, although Pentax are now owned by Ricoh.

Am I right in thinking that apart from the K-5 [what a fabulous camera that is] the Kx and Kr have Samsung sensors and the K-5 Sony sensor.

One of my criterior is for a fold out screen and currently, a Second hand Nikon D5000 is the front runner along with a Nikkor 18-105.

Cheers

Pete

petemasty
petemasty  5155 forum posts England
14 Nov 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'm quite sure the Kr has a Sony sensor

felixkh
felixkh  7
28 Feb 2012 - 9:25 AM

Quote: I'm quite sure the Kr has a Sony sensor

Yes you are right!

kodachrome
28 Feb 2012 - 11:08 AM

Rumours are flying around about a Kr replacement using the current Sony 16mp sensor as fitted to the K5 and possibly an EVF. That sounds very interesting. As for the K-O1, I think Pentax have lost the plot.

Pete

Pentaxguy
Pentaxguy  2
2 Mar 2012 - 5:30 AM

The Kr is a phenomenally capable camera which unfortunately has been discontinued from production. I consider it a step up from my k10, especially in shooting at higher ISOs. As good as the Kx was, the Kr was a definite improvement.

The one downside I see from the Kr is the lack of room for a cable release, which is solved by using a wireless release. Still, I'd buy the Kr before considering a K-01.

kodachrome
2 Mar 2012 - 7:43 AM

I hope Pentax are not making the K-01 the Kr replacement, that would be a very bad move.
I currently use a Nikon D5000, it takes stunning pictures but its big and heavy, the Nikkor lenses although optically brilliant are big, heavy and expensive, a DSLR like a Kr which is smaller and lighter would be better for me and the lenses smaller and lighter because of in body IS.
Any body heard any rumours for a Kr replacement? Mind you, I could go micro 4thirds!
Pete

col55555ine
28 Apr 2012 - 4:36 PM

kr + k5 are good cameras, but if you want excellent sharp photos get the DA* lenses + ltd lenses.

goexplorephotography

Ive been running photography workshops for a a few years now and the pentax KR is one of the best cameras I've come across. image quality is excellent and the camera is so user friendly. If i had to pick a DSLR for a beginner i would definably advise the Pentax KR. i had a go a thought it was great.
You will get lots of advice and most will recommend the make of camera they have themselves. the fact is you can't buy a bad DSLR today. they are all very good and all produce excellent results. I use Canon but Nikon are just as good. If i was starting out as an amateur today i would probably go with Pentax. you would have access to a fantastic range of lenses, many of which you can pick up secondhand much cheaper than canon or nikons.
But whatever you choose. the camera is probably only 10% of what it take to capture a good photograph. its whats in your head that matters.

Good luck and have fun

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.