Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

People Joining ePHOTOzine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LesJD
LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
28 Feb 2012 - 10:35 PM

Not yet Pete Wink

Last Modified By LesJD at 28 Feb 2012 - 10:36 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Feb 2012 - 10:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43557 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
29 Feb 2012 - 4:06 PM

A fellow tog pointed me in the direction of epz, and at first I was only interested in uploading piccies and gettting involved with building up a 'network' of favourites. The after a while, I noticed there were other, undiscovered and unexplored areas of the forums. So I got into reading techniques, especially ps as this was all greek to me in the beginning. Then I found the forums and the enjoyment of people telling each other how big their equipment was and that anyone not using the same had to be a neolithic nerdWinkWink
All in all a great site...I might even "Like" it (thumb up).
So basically, uploading and commenting, techniques and forums, not necessarily in that order.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 29 Feb 2012 - 4:06 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2012 - 11:10 PM

It's a shame the people leaving thread gets more attention than this one. I guess the negative always shines through So with me half full optimism let's use this thread not only for newcomers to say hello but also for those who've spotted a new member who's doing some interesting photography. I'm enjoying the series by Peterborough based street photographer, Chris Porsz , who's currently posting pics he took in the 80s.
Who's joined who's inspiring you recently?

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2012 - 12:00 AM

Quote: let's use this thread not only for newcomers to say hello but also for those who've spotted a new member who's doing some interesting photography. I'm enjoying the series by Peterborough based street photographer, Chris Porsz , who's currently posting pics he took in the 80s.
Who's joined who's inspiring you recently?

@Pete..

I put that bit in to bump your point for a while.

with respect the thread about people leaving (apart from its inevitable divergence into banter on and off..) is important - do you just want people to keep joining , or do you want to keep them here? a thread about why people leave should be of at least vicarious benefit to those joining, the more chance it might give for identifying ways of making them want to stay.. (does that make sense??Smile )

Re highlighting intersting new members, I fully agree, and it's been suggested a few times that some kind of gallery (filter) could be formed to highlight only new members in their (say) first month. I for one would be very keen on it... how about putting it on the wish list?

Stephen

phil1963
phil1963 e2 Member 2264 forum postsphil1963 vcard United Kingdom
2 Apr 2012 - 9:54 AM

My brother led me to this site, im hoping to learn more on the art of photography and get some inspiration frm the site.

arhab
arhab  243 forum posts Indonesia2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 1:35 AM

just read the topic. i found the site when reading camera review. and than found that, this site contain more than that.

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 3:42 PM

I found ePHOTOzine after joining a few other website / forums which all claim to give feedback on the photographs posted. Needless to say the most constructive feedback I got from most was ...... Well done, beautiful picture etc. Not exactly constructive feedback.

I joined here after reading the feedback given to existing members and i realised this was what I wanted and needed to help my photography improve. The forums, networking and competitions are all a big bonus to my original wants making this a great place to be.

Already after only a few picture uploads I've had really constructive critique which has help me.

Eric

User_Removed
3 Nov 2012 - 5:09 PM

* used the reviews database extensively before joining to research the right camera

* use the forums

* use the gallery, not just to look at photos I like and give them some feedback but also to look at work similar to mine to see what others are doing. I find this gives me ideas on where to improve.

* use the groups which are a nice challenge and a way of both comparing and improving especially when challenged by the subject matter to get out of your comfort zone.

* would use the photo of the day thread / group (not exactly sure which it is) but am a bit discouraged by the fact that there is no comment or feedback and I don't particularly need just the stimulus of a topic to go out and take photos. in fact the lack of attention to posts in those threads is so bad that I actually asked that question on one of the days recently and was completely ignored so I don't see that any one is even looking at what is being posted which really defeats the purpose surely?

* ignored the 'vs mode' cos I couldn't figure out what it was, then did manage to click on enough buttons to eventually get some information on what it was ... used it for a bit ... decided it isn't for me.

* discovered you have sudoku which seems a bit random but love sudoku so will give it a whirl when I'm bored one day

* would love more feedback on photos via comments but it seems there is some fear of doing that??? Was suggested I use the 'critique wanted' gallery but that is bit more extreme ... I'm mostly happy with my photos and would be happy with the odd 'how about ...' sort of feedback that isn't so intensely analytical. I sort of see that option as being there for when I really want intensive help with a photo that went wrong and I have specific questions I want in depth help with.

* enjoy giving feedback on photos even if it is just to say why I like a photo - that to me is a helpful comment as much as 'constructive criticism'. It remains to be seen if other people appreciate those kind of comments.

* decided I do actually have a positive suggestion on the voting / vs mode / cliques issues that I have seen and read quite a bit about in the forum.

How about making TWO votes - one is a LIKE button and one is VOTE button. I have been mulling the question over in my mind and I realised that the 'clique' voting that upsets so many people is in fact a 'LIKE' vote, and I myself, have come across photos I like but don't think are good enough to get a vote towards an award but I have no way of indicating that I like this photo. I have to either comment and not vote which is kind of not nice (at least I feel that way) or give a vote I don't think is entirely deserved. If I could LIKE a photo and then on the few I think are really good give it a VOTE for the gallery awards that would be just perfect. Then all the people who 'vote' because in reality they actually just like a picture have a means of doing so and the serious reviewers can vote.

I really hope that this suggestion can be given due consideration unless of course the idea has already been put forward and I missed that conversation. (I haven't actually read ALL the threads LOL)

all in all both of us are enjoying being on the site, encouraged by the positive feedback we have received so far, and look forward to learning and growing as we go on.

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2012 - 8:11 PM

Oh well, I initially joined in 2010 but today I have the bright idea I will part with 29 and become a fully paid up member ...hic. My forte is all things Bonsai so enjoy photographing my trees and nature. I suffer mild dementia and awful arthritis with other related health difficulties but soldier on. I've had one of my trees selected to appear in possibly the UK's premier Bonsai show in February 2013 so knees are knocking. I just joined because I really really like photography and I've tried many sites out but none compare to EPZ.

My name is Mike Jones. Handle though will always be Mozzy.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73801 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2012 - 8:57 PM

Quote: all in all both of us are enjoying being on the site, encouraged by the positive feedback we have received so far, and look forward to learning and growing as we go on.

Am I the only one that's a bit bemused, a very positive comment, loads of points well made, some I concur with, some not, then to see 'user_ removed', Sad

Last Modified By Nick_w at 3 Dec 2012 - 8:58 PM
AlexandraSD
4 Dec 2012 - 2:01 AM

User_removed..... why?

I was User_removed once by my own choice, I was possibly gone for almost a year, maybe longer i cant remember, but i suddenly missed photography and this little website, since rejoining i have had no desire to be User_removed ever again, even though i have not uploaded a single image in months, im still addicted to photography and ePz gives me my fix, even though i very rarely visit the galleries, there is enough here to keep me occupied for an hour without needing to see a single image, unless its one of ePz's gear test reviews. Like now, i really wanna look in the galleries now im thinking about it, but i gotta be in bed shortly and im running out of excuses already Wink I actually dont get time to read blogs anymore either, but i do publish a few here, and i have already started adding photo locations, well one anyhow, a few more of us should add more as well, come on you lot Smile

Im at work tomorrow but i will try and get a photo to upload to ePz by midnight tonight, because lets be honest, i have been lazy, and saving myself for my new toy, but i will do one last image and i will upload it tomorrow, a nice typical fenland landscape or something, quite a few round here, which will be a challenge seeing as the weather is going to be dull and wet, whatever, i will have to pull my finger out and pray i dont need my tripod cos im not taking that with me as well!

I will be getting e2 membership again, once i remember to bring in my debit card, i always remember when im comfy in bed typing like this, in no hurry to get out of bed, go outside to my car, etc etc Wink but i will get e2 again, i like the irony of keeping a white background on my portfolio while everyone else opts for black....... Tongue

AlexandraSD
4 Dec 2012 - 3:03 AM

Pete, i am now inspired by the photo locations section of this site, which is clearly underused and infrequently updated, the Norfolk part of it anyway, tut tut....

So i will make it my mission to fill that gap, because i know Norfolk pretty well, though i am less familiar with the Broads in the east of the county, the north and west side i know well enough, enough to keep me photographically busy during 2013, as well as a little personal challenge, im crap at landscapes and i know it, but i need to expand my repertoire again and just enjoy photography for the sake of it.

I❤ePzGrin

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
4 Dec 2012 - 3:12 AM

I'm here and have been for so long now because whilst EPZ might have it's foibles, critics, cynics and Trolls Wink It's still the best all round photography site on the web......

That statement should put me in good stead for the Xmas draw Wink

AdeGrinGrinGrinGrin

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43557 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
4 Dec 2012 - 5:57 AM

Quote: I'm here and have been for so long now because whilst EPZ might have it's foibles, critics, cynics and Trolls Wink It's still the best all round photography site on the web......

That statement should put me in good stead for the Xmas draw Wink

AdeGrinGrinGrinGrin

Be careful what you say about trolls, Ade...the genuine Norwegian ones will be very, very upset if you say nasty things using their name.Wink They'll come out from under their bridges and so all sorts of 'orrible things to your personage.Grin

Malc

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.