Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

People who VOTE but dont leave a message

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

stuart_murray

For all Beginners the hardest part of doing photography is the question.
Am i doing it right?
And i have found that alot of people on this website vote but dont leave a message after they vote to tell the person why the voted for there picture, like was it for the subject or there rule of thirds or something,maybe a simple thing like WELL DONE it goes a long way,
so what do you think, let me Know

stuart murray

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Mar 2009 - 4:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2009 - 4:26 PM

I agree that it can be frustrating but to me a vote is no different to a 'Well done' in that it still doesn't tell me what I've done well!

I know there are people who are keen to vote on as much as they can but don't necessarily have the time to leave comments on top of that. Also, I'm a beginner so I'm not sure what I could write on some people's shots as they are quite clearly of a professional quality so anything I say will not add a great deal of value it - in my opinion anyway...

Chris

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72303 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
6 Mar 2009 - 4:27 PM

I agree that it would be nice if more people who voted also left a comment. However, I think because of the nature of people on the internet (being in a hurry) alot of people just feel they don't have time.

I for one usually leave a comment on photos I vote on. However, im always so busy building the site that I don't get alot of time to browse the gallery causally.

User_Removed
6 Mar 2009 - 4:31 PM

I will tend to leave a comment with a vote but it depends how many are already there. It takes a fair time to read them all to make sure you are not duplicating a comment. No point in just repeating someone else. The time spent reading also reduces the time I can spend looking through other new pics.

stuart_murray

Quote: I agree that it can be frustrating but to me a vote is no different to a 'Well done' in that it still doesn't tell me what I've done well!

I know there are people who are keen to vote on as much as they can but don't necessarily have the time to leave comments on top of that. Also, I'm a beginner so I'm not sure what I could write on some people's shots as they are quite clearly of a professional quality so anything I say will not add a great deal of value it - in my opinion anyway...

Chris

Even if your a beginner you can tell the pros because everyone is still learning so something you see and they dont so tell them,if they get pissed off so what,it just shows you that all comments count

stuart_murray

Quote: I will tend to leave a comment with a vote but it depends how many are already there. It takes a fair time to read them all to make sure you are not duplicating a comment. No point in just repeating someone else. The time spent reading also reduces the time I can spend looking through other new pics.

Remember you dont have to read everyones if you think it will help the person say it and if 20 other people are saying it ,it must be true

SteveCharles
6 Mar 2009 - 4:42 PM

I don't often vote without commenting, I think comments are more valuable than votes, but I do sometimes as a way of just saying 'I like that'.

Apologies to anyone who has said 'well done' on any of my shots, but I would rather collect a vote than have someone say 'well done'; I personally find the phrase 'well done' a bit patronising, like it should be accompanied by a pat on the head and a gold star.

User_Removed
6 Mar 2009 - 4:43 PM

I have the time to express my appreciation of a few dozen shots. I don't have time to *comment* on a few dozen shots. I comment on the ones I'm particularly impressed with.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96001 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2009 - 4:46 PM

I generally don't comment as unless I've something useful (or sometimes daft) to say.

As others have said the click is the 'well done'

That said I might feel differently about 10.30 tonight when I'm full of either Voddy or wine Smile

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2009 - 4:49 PM

I try to comment as much as possible, but time normally dictates how much [or little] I can say, quite often a click is all I can muster.

John_Frid
John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2009 - 4:54 PM

Generally speaking the vote itself denotes a "well done" - otherwise why vote for it. Sometimes, if I'm not under time pressure, I will leave a comment, but I don't feel obliged to.

As far as giving feedback on how the image might be improved, I tend to only do this on images which are in the critique gallery. I take the view that if someone really wanted critical feedback they would have selected that option.

There are too many images going through ePZ to comment on them all so you have to find some way to decide which ones to spend your time on.

stuart_murray

its a subject alot of people are intrested about from what i can see

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2009 - 4:56 PM

Quote: That said I might feel differently about 10.30 tonight when I'm full of either Voddy or wine

I try to refrain after a few glasses of red...for some reason I get a bit sure of myself after havin a drink!! Smile

randomrubble
6 Mar 2009 - 5:02 PM

Votes are fine, its a way of saying that's an image I like. Nothing wrong with that at all.

E2 members can follow up the votes and see if they like the voters work too, which can be quite a source of inspiration as the best way to get an understanding of what makes a good image is to look at a lot of images and see what elements particularly appeal to you.

t_downes
t_downes e2 Member 6260 forum postst_downes vcard United Kingdom
6 Mar 2009 - 5:25 PM

I tend to click and move onto the next unless its one of them wow pictures. I look through a lot of images so its quicker for me to just click at times. I was on here last night and there was so many great images coming on i found it hard to keep typing things in. But most of us have just the click and i find thats fine with my images.

Last Modified By t_downes at 6 Mar 2009 - 5:26 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.