Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Perceptions of a photographers gender.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
monkeygrip
7 Jul 2012 - 12:20 AM

In business for 4 years next week and this is the first time this has happened to me.

This morning shooting in mt City centre 3 police officers kept a very close eye on me while I was shooting a child model. OK child safety is very important but I have to ask the question if I was a woman would they have reacted the same? (It was a little boy not that is should matter)

Is every man with a camera a peadophile until they prove they are a photographer? are people still suspicious even when you do?

Ladies do you feel people assume you are ok with their kids because you are a woman?

Is the news responsible for the over protection of kids? As a kid I used to go out on my bike exploring and only return home if hungry or it was dark so are there more nasty people in the world now than there was in the 70s, 80s?

(I have to say although I felt the presence of all 3 officers today not at anytime did they do anything to upset the shoot so although I raise concerns above they showed a great example of good policing)

Answers on a postcard.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jul 2012 - 12:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 12:42 AM

Quote: I was a woman would they have reacted the same?

I doubt it. They'd have assumed you're the mother.

Quote: there more nasty people in the world now than there was in the 70s, 80s?

No but there is greatly more media inspired paranoia.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72417 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
7 Jul 2012 - 1:11 AM

No answers, postcard or otherwise, but I do agree with your sense of unease and points raised. Likewise as a kid I'd be gone for hours, far and wide with a multi-purpose stick (sword, rifle etc) and climbing rope (length of clothes line..) and had to be back at teatime..
Ours are full grown now, but if they were younger I expect they'd rarely be out of our sight..
I feel I need to be a lot more careful who I point a camera at these days, usually feel more at ease if my wife is with me (as if this gives legitimacy to my actions...!) and sadly I do think a woman would be viewed with less suspicion..

thewilliam
7 Jul 2012 - 1:22 AM

When a man looks at a naked woman, he's a voyeur and when a woman looks at a naked man, he's an exhibitionist.

The man is always in the wrong!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214389 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 1:24 AM

Quote: This morning shooting in mt City centre 3 police officers kept a very close eye on me while I was shooting a child model. OK child safety is very important but I have to ask the question if I was a woman would they have reacted the same? (It was a little boy not that is should matter)

Why were they watching you ?

No been funny, but why, did you ask them, or was it all in your head.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 7 Jul 2012 - 1:27 AM
Graysta
Graysta  91118 forum posts England
7 Jul 2012 - 8:14 AM

Quote: The man is always in the wrong!

After being married for 35 yrs next week this is probably the most truthfull statement ever posted on this site. WinkSad

Back on topic i am pleased that the Police monitored but did not interfere, all to often they are a bit too keen to react,

Last Modified By Graysta at 7 Jul 2012 - 8:18 AM
monkeygrip
7 Jul 2012 - 8:20 AM

They where most certainly watching me, even the kids Mum who was sat not so far away noticed them.

As I said they didn't intrude enough to warrant me speaking to them.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
7 Jul 2012 - 9:19 AM

Quote: They where most certainly watching me

Maybe they were just curious and liked watching a pro tog at work.

puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 10:35 AM

If it means that our kids are safer, the police can stand on their heads and do wheelies. How would you feel with a knock on the door and the police are stood their to inform you that your child has been murdered? My 2 brothers and I used to go out for hours and as you say, only come home at mealtimes, but back then it was safe. I live in Tenerife and have a 12 year old son and I feel much safer here than I would in the UK. If the police were to approach me, I would be only too willing to explain that I'm on a photo shoot and the childs mother was nearby. Better to be safe than sorry!
Stephen

ge22y
ge22y  5115 forum posts Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 11:15 AM

I agree with Rossd above, perhaps one of the officers is also a keen photographer and s/he was genuinely interested in watching you work! Were you using lights/pro equipment? If there had been 3 men in suits watching you work would you have posted this thread? I think a lot of people forget that under the uniform police officers are just people with hobbies and interests just like the rest of us! They may well have liked to engage you in conversation about your style/techniques etc but but due to the negative press the police get with photographers decided to stand back and watch instead.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 11:27 AM

Quote: perhaps one of the officers is also a keen photographer and s/he was genuinely interested in watching you work!

That's probably a generous interpretation! Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214389 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jul 2012 - 3:40 PM

Quote: perhaps one of the officers is also a keen photographer and s/he was genuinely interested in watching you work!

The only time I`ve been stopped or spoken to by a police officer has been when that officer has been a keen photographer as well, there human just like the rest of us.

Stu, maybe all the hype was playing on your mind, I`ve even felt nervous at time photographing my own kids in public Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 7 Jul 2012 - 3:42 PM
captainpenguin

Quote:

Are there more nasty people in the world now than there was in the 70s, 80s?

No but there is greatly more media inspired paranoia.

Yiou have it in one I bet if we saw the child abductions from 50 years ago they would be the same or possibly less than in this safety obsessed world we live in,lets face it the pervs out there can get there kicks on thousands of internet sites they dont have to photograph kids in public

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
7 Jul 2012 - 3:49 PM

On the plus side of course, at least you weren't mugged and had your expensive pro gear nicked!!

Carabosse
7 Jul 2012 - 3:55 PM

Quote: On the plus side of course, at least you weren't mugged and had your expensive pro gear nicked!!

Indeed... as the old song goes "Always look on the bright side of life!" Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.