Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Perfect portrait settings on Canon7D

JanieB43 6 47 6 England
5 Oct 2012 8:42AM
Whilst most people say that Nikon cameras are the best for portraits I happen to favour landscape photography so I went for Canon however I'm now getting some requests from friends to do some portraits. Can anyone suggest how I should set up my 7D in the customised zones to get somewhere near the gorgeous skin tones that Nikon does so well?

Thanks guys

Jane

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 9:29AM

Quote:Whilst most people say that Nikon cameras are the best for portraits

do they ?
bainsybike 5 276
5 Oct 2012 9:36AM
If you're talking about Canon's pre-programmed Picture Styles (Standard, Portrait, Landscape etc), if you shoot RAW it doesn't matter how you set up your camera, because you can apply the same styles after the event on your computer in Canon DPP, and then adjust them to suit. Some more style templates are available here.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
5 Oct 2012 9:39AM

do they ?

I've never heard anything relating to Nikon being the best for portraits?

Successful portrait photography is not down to any specific camera it's down to the user of them.

Ken
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 9:44AM
Use a canon nifty 50 50mm 1.8mkII. magnificent lens on the Canon 7D imo.
For settings,... youll have to set it on the fly, everyone has different skin tones in different light. Some canons prefer RED like mine, it over reds things, others can be green, some are noisy others are not it truly depends on your camera and the light. I dont think (nor have i found personally) any "specific" setting for portraits
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 10:27AM
Any such comments probably come from people looking at the out-of-camera jpegs and each camera manufacturer has their own defaults - but if you take RAW you can make the image any style you want. The only reference I have heard regards 'camera best for portraits' is that some believe the Foveon sensor used in the Sigma cameras provides better detail and colour rendition than the Bayer sensor used in CaNikon.

However, if you do want to use in-camera styles there are some quick tips I have heard such as when shooting portraits in available light, set the WB to 'shade' (even when it is sunny) which gives a warmth to skin tones.
But you can go into the Picture Styles menu and set your own (up to 3 I believe). You can even download picture styles to give the look you want:
http://www.productionapprentice.com/quick-tips/using-picture-styles-on-your-canon-5d7d-to-get-the-look-you-want/

and if you google "canon 7d picture styles portrait" you will find loads of advice.
One thing though: do not try to create a 'Nikon effect' if you have no idea what Nikon does to an image. Find a style that you like.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Oct 2012 11:21AM

LOL...Someone please tell my Nikon cameras this.....Smile

Quote:I happen to favour landscape photography so I went for Canon

Uh Oh, That explains why my landscapes are so average....Sad

Sorry..Grin But it needed to be clarified, A camera is a camera....Full Stop...!!!

The output from any camera type or brand, Depends entirely on the person holding the camera, That's the way it has always been, Hopefully its the way things will stay if there is to be any creativity left in photography.

Wink
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 11:33AM
some say Nikon are better for everything. Grin

ducks and runs for cover Wink
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
5 Oct 2012 11:52AM
. . . you mean they're not!?
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 1:46PM
Hi Jane,
I saw this post yesterday, and decided to come back to it after there had been some other responses, as I too had not heard about the 'Nikon' skin tones.
There's a lot of adjustment that can be made and store as a setting for shooting specific genres, but as mentioned above, this can be re-tweaked in raw conversion.
That's before you even start photoshop up Smile
The 'Portrait' mode is my preference, but I tend to leave white balance in auto setting, as it has yeilded some good results in the past, by giving a cooler look to the skintones,
that I might not have considered looking at if I had set the white balance specifically.
If using auto white balance gives a cooler(blue) look, and I want a warmer look(yellow), I can always adjust in raw conversion to suit.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.