Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Petition against copyright grab competitions

A petition to ban companies from claiming copyright of photographs through unfair competition T&C's.

No 10 Petition

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
26 Jul 2009 12:09PM
Done and posted the link on another site too
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
26 Jul 2009 12:27PM
I'm in.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
26 Jul 2009 12:35PM
Seems odd that raising a petition is deemed the best way forward.

Don't like the T&Cs ? Don't enter, nobody is forcing you.

I'm not saying that I agree with such T&Cs, just that boycotting such competitions seems a preferable way to do it
dcash29 9 2.0k England
26 Jul 2009 12:53PM
Done
barrovian e2
10 163 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2009 1:09PM
I'm in too.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
26 Jul 2009 1:24PM

Quote:Seems odd that raising a petition is deemed the best way forward.

Don't like the T&Cs ? Don't enter, nobody is forcing you.

I'm not saying that I agree with such T&Cs, just that boycotting such competitions seems a preferable way to do it

I would agree I think.

Have these No. 10 petitions actually done anything ever, or are they just to make use feel like we have a voice and can change things?
montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2009 1:33PM
At the very least these No 10 petitions raise awareness of the situation.

I'm in.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
26 Jul 2009 1:42PM

Quote:At the very least these No 10 petitions raise awareness of the situation.

With who? Us? We know don't we? Not saying it's a bad idea, I just don't know if they do any good.
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
26 Jul 2009 2:36PM
Just dont enter
26 Jul 2009 3:18PM
I would suspect many entrants don't realise what they are missing out on and therefore the petition is a good idea.

This is no different to other "mis-selling" items to have hit the press in recent years and is well worth discussing openly.

It's not just as simple as saying - "Don't enter" - for the competitions to have real worth to the entrants T&C's need to be fairer to the entrants. That is worth discussing.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
26 Jul 2009 3:49PM

Quote:It's not just as simple as saying - "Don't enter"

Yes it is

Quote:for the competitions to have real worth to the entrants T&C's need to be fairer to the entrants.

Worth to who? You think they run them for our benefit ? If they were fair they wouldn't run them. The idea is to harvest images and to advertise their product

Quote:That is worth discussing.

Ripoff Pictures Ltd couldn't give a stuff if we raised 20 petitions. End of discussion.
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
26 Jul 2009 5:00PM

Quote:Ripoff Pictures Ltd couldn't give a stuff if we raised 20 petitions. End of discussion.

True, but raising awareness amongst photographers is more important and, although these petitions don't carry much weight on their own, they do bring the issue to the forefront.

Best way is to simply not enter and also to tell the organisers exactly why. No entries means no free stock library for them.
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
26 Jul 2009 5:25PM

Quote:

Best way is to simply not enter and also to tell the organisers exactly why. No entries means no free stock library for them.

Agree vote with your feet, no entrants is the bast way to get the message across, I for one would be happy with limited use or even a royalty fee if the image was used elsewhere that way we could all be winners instead of the competition holder grabbing all the rights, share them instead surely it's not that hard to do.

Edit Epz reader gallery could be used as a stock library we could all be quids in if we both got a cut
26 Jul 2009 7:01PM

Quote:Quote:It's not just as simple as saying - "Don't enter" Yes it is

Quote:for the competitions to have real worth to the entrants T&C's need to be fairer to the entrants.Worth to who? You think they run them for our benefit ? If they were fair they wouldn't run them. The idea is to harvest images and to advertise their product

Quote:That is worth discussing.Ripoff Pictures Ltd couldn't give a stuff if we raised 20 petitions. End of discussion.

No - in actual fact it is the beginning of a worthwhile discussion Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.