Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Petrol Price

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 12:38 PM

When petrol price went over 1, there were protests by lorry drivers etc.
Now it is roughly 1.30, and will go up again when tax goes up.
And still, no protest.
What is happening?

Soon, I won't be able to afford going to work, and am thinking of moving house... Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2011 - 12:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 12:41 PM

Did you not know, fuel is a luxury! Why else would there be a luxury tax on it?

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 12:42 PM

It certainly is!

oliverivorybray
13 Jan 2011 - 12:51 PM

There are also rumours that our beloved government plan to increase fuel prices again next week. Hopefully petrol stations will start accepting arms and legs as payment.

Carrera_c
Carrera_c  5254 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 1:06 PM

Doesn't matter what happens, petrol will never go anywhere near 1 a litre ever again. Especially with CO2 emissions being the 'hot' topic and cars being such an efficient producer of the lovely gas...

It's fairly evident that the government are going to continue to encourage more economical cars and electric cars. Keeping fuel prices high will help them do this.

That seems to be the only options nowadays: Smaller Engine, or Hybrid/Electric.

Either that or buy a bus pass.

John_Frid
John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 1:10 PM

The price of petrol in Egypt is currently 1.10 per litre. Well to be accurate that is actually LE1.10 - eqivalent to about 12 pence. Mind you, cars are, so I am told, no cheaper there than here, and they have a average dent/scratch free period of less than 2 weeks.

Before going to Cairo I thought driving in London was bad - now it seems quite a pleasure.

gary.d
gary.d  12134 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jan 2011 - 1:11 PM

So when carbon-based fuels eventually run out and oil companies lose their multi-billion dollar profits what's the odds on the next mainstream fuel, whatever it will be, also being highly taxed?

Coleslaw
13 Jan 2011 - 1:13 PM

Quote: what's the odds on the next mainstream fuel, whatever it will be, also being highly taxed?

Absolutely.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
13 Jan 2011 - 1:16 PM

Electric cars, that's a joke. To get to my parents' place in Yorkshire (a 2.5 hour drive) I would need to book a hotel half way up while the car recharged.

gary.d
gary.d  12134 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jan 2011 - 1:25 PM

Until electric cars have the range and performance of an average family car they will never be fully accepted. And then if that did happen would we need many more power stations to meet the demand for tens of millions of cars being constantly charged?

Metalhead
Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 1:35 PM

Quote: what's the odds on the next mainstream fuel, whatever it will be, also being highly taxed?

Exactly! Remember when there used to be a big price difference between petrol and diesel? And diesel cars were scoffed at by most motoring journalists?

Nowadays there's probably more turbo diesel-engined family cars on the road than petrol cars, and the price is higher than petrol. Yes, you can still get more range than a petrol car, but the fuel prices are ludicrous. I'm doing everything I can to keep my underpowered diesel car on the road purely for the range from a full tank... Almost double my old petrol car...

I went to Guernsey back in 2001 and it was 46p per litre for petrol. I wonder what it is today?

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2011 - 1:37 PM

electric cars do have some use. For example we have a 2nd car that does a 20 mile trip about 3 times per week, and seldom goes more than 60 miles at a time. With lack of public transport etc, car is only option. and it fits the distance etc of an electric car. But the car we have is worth 500 tops. Remind me again how much an electric car costs. It never makes economic sense to me.

electric cars make sense for inner city commuting. Hybrids make sense for inner city commuting, for the rest the infernal combustion engine has the clear advantage. Hybrids add weight etc so unless you have a lot of stop start cycles its better to avoid.

john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
13 Jan 2011 - 1:37 PM

I'm surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the con we have with fuel prices in that the duty is added BEFORE VAT, therefore when VAT is added we are paying tax on a tax.

The motorist will always be an easy target as a cash-cow for whichever government is incumbent at the time. We need to get where we're going and will pay for the fuel whatever the cost.

JamesGarfield
13 Jan 2011 - 1:41 PM

As Coleslaw has said I can't believe the hauliers haven't made a noise about fuel prices, diesel is 1.32 a litre here (Ipswich). I don't know how people are affording to get to work let alone pay their bills at the moment and I truly believe things are going to get worse too.

MrGoatsmilk
13 Jan 2011 - 1:55 PM

From what I have been told by a neighbour who owns a small haulage company the government introduced a scheme whereby they the hauliers who have a reduced emission pay a lot less tax, his unit carries a shipping container and is very large must carry up to 44 tonnes or whatever the limit is now. He pays 200 per year road tax on that (lot less than some family cars and 4x4's). I think that scheme was to keep the lorry owners sweet and is one of the reasons we don't hear of blockades now.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.