Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Phase One Capture One Express 6.

24 Jan 2013 11:33AM
Hi

I have just won a download of the above software. I already have Lightroom 4 on Mac. Can anyone tell me what the Capture One software will do that Lightroom won't?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Jan 2013 11:36AM
Many are of the opinion and I am one, that it is built upon a better conversion engine.
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
24 Jan 2013 11:44AM
In terms of raw processing I cannot see much difference between the two.

I can achieve practically the same results in both albeit the process of getting there, as in what features to adjust and by how much etc. are different.

Personally I get the feeling that Capture One Express is more for people that understand the technicalities of processing more and being able to utilise that knowledge.
MrDennis e2
5 247 Wales
24 Jan 2013 3:07PM
I find it easy to follow Photoshop. Don't find it so easy to find what I want in Capture 1, or to follow along in it.
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 3:32PM
I had an earlier version of Capture One which I found very good and straightforward to use.
However, the later versions seem to have become more complicated as they have become more sophisticated..and as mentioned, seem to be aimed more at the professional/technical market nowadays.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
24 Jan 2013 3:46PM

Quote:Many are of the opinion and I am one, that it is built upon a better conversion engine.

That was true, till Adobe headhunted one of the key Phase One tekkies
keithh e2
24 Jan 2013 4:37PM
Well the original LR was built on Phase One technology and in my view is still playing catch up.
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
24 Jan 2013 4:40PM

Quote:Well the original LR was built on Phase One technology and in my view is still playing catch up.

As Lightroom & ACR use the same / similar technologies can one also state the case that Photoshop CS6 is still playing catch up as well ?
keithh e2
24 Jan 2013 4:45PM
You can.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
24 Jan 2013 5:35PM

Quote:Well the original LR was built on Phase One technology and in my view is still playing catch up.

LR 3 made an enormous leap in quality from 2, and v4 is even better still. They pinched the point curve from capture one (you have to change the defaults) you can do curves on the channels. I moved away from Capture One when the D300 first came out, it was very poor (phase one owned upto it after a while), they did sort it, but by that time I'd bought LR and stuck with it.

Both are great RAW converters, and you can get identical results from them (watch the camera profiles, that's where you can see big differences)
keithh e2
24 Jan 2013 5:42PM
Well have to disagree I'm afraid.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
24 Jan 2013 5:47PM
Ok, won't be the first time (and doubt the last) but to resolve would need a side by side comparison.

What I donot like about LR is how it forces me to use its bloated catalogue system.
andart e2
12 491 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 6:29PM
interesting article on DPreview today: raw converter comparison
24 Jan 2013 6:57PM
I have just won that as well. I have been using Elements 10 up to now but this win will certainly up my PP. Thank you ePhotozine

Realspeed
24 Jan 2013 6:58PM
i have just won that as well. Thank you ephotozine.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.