Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Phase One Capture One Express 6.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Newdevonian
24 Jan 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi

I have just won a download of the above software. I already have Lightroom 4 on Mac. Can anyone tell me what the Capture One software will do that Lightroom won't?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Jan 2013 - 11:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022733 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 11:36 AM

Many are of the opinion and I am one, that it is built upon a better conversion engine.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96207 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 11:44 AM

In terms of raw processing I cannot see much difference between the two.

I can achieve practically the same results in both albeit the process of getting there, as in what features to adjust and by how much etc. are different.

Personally I get the feeling that Capture One Express is more for people that understand the technicalities of processing more and being able to utilise that knowledge.

MrDennis
MrDennis  5226 forum posts Wales
24 Jan 2013 - 3:07 PM

I find it easy to follow Photoshop. Don't find it so easy to find what I want in Capture 1, or to follow along in it.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 3:32 PM

I had an earlier version of Capture One which I found very good and straightforward to use.
However, the later versions seem to have become more complicated as they have become more sophisticated..and as mentioned, seem to be aimed more at the professional/technical market nowadays.

Last Modified By rhol2 at 24 Jan 2013 - 3:35 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73803 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 3:46 PM

Quote: Many are of the opinion and I am one, that it is built upon a better conversion engine.

That was true, till Adobe headhunted one of the key Phase One tekkies

keithh
24 Jan 2013 - 4:37 PM

Well the original LR was built on Phase One technology and in my view is still playing catch up.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96207 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 4:40 PM

Quote: Well the original LR was built on Phase One technology and in my view is still playing catch up.

As Lightroom & ACR use the same / similar technologies can one also state the case that Photoshop CS6 is still playing catch up as well ?

Last Modified By JJGEE at 24 Jan 2013 - 4:41 PM
keithh
24 Jan 2013 - 4:45 PM

You can.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73803 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 5:35 PM

Quote: Well the original LR was built on Phase One technology and in my view is still playing catch up.

LR 3 made an enormous leap in quality from 2, and v4 is even better still. They pinched the point curve from capture one (you have to change the defaults) you can do curves on the channels. I moved away from Capture One when the D300 first came out, it was very poor (phase one owned upto it after a while), they did sort it, but by that time I'd bought LR and stuck with it.

Both are great RAW converters, and you can get identical results from them (watch the camera profiles, that's where you can see big differences)

keithh
24 Jan 2013 - 5:42 PM

Well have to disagree I'm afraid.

Nick_w
24 Jan 2013 - 5:47 PM

Ok, won't be the first time (and doubt the last) but to resolve would need a side by side comparison.

What I donot like about LR is how it forces me to use its bloated catalogue system.

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 - 6:29 PM

interesting article on DPreview today:raw converter comparison

realspeed
realspeed  8 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 - 6:57 PM

I have just won that as well. I have been using Elements 10 up to now but this win will certainly up my PP. Thank you ePhotozine

Realspeed

realspeed
realspeed  8 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 - 6:58 PM

i have just won that as well. Thank you ephotozine.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.