Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Phase One Capture One Express 6.

24 Jan 2013 7:20PM
I have also won a copy and downloaded the trial version, but to be honest I don't think I will use it so the first person to get in touch can have my copy for free.

John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

24 Jan 2013 7:27PM
After three attempts at installation, and failing miserably, I gave up and went back to Lightroom......
Is it me or has anyone else had a problem?
ChrisTom 6 72 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 8:41PM
Glad this thread was started, I have also had a phase one download code sent by email, the reason I came to the forum, was to ask how you would know which to download 32 or 64 bit or would it not matter, I presume that one has more features than the other, but after reading the comments posted, I realise it would be far above my knowledge level to use, so will not attempt a download.

Never really cracked the download, upload thing anyway.
As I am near zero computer savvy.

Take care.

Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
ltj22 6 4 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 9:16PM
i have just won that as well. Thank you ephotozine
canonfan46 5 1.1k United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 9:28PM
Everyone who entered the competition won this prize automatically.
I am happy with Lightroom 4 and see no reason to have another program so I dident bother with it.

Like Chris above, I dont know enough to rate it against Lightroom, but some on here appear to rate it similar to or better than Lightroom which costs aproaching £200.

How then, or why, do'es a company giveaway 10,000 free copies retailing @ £99.00? ( £1,000,000)
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Jan 2013 9:40PM
Because they want you to upgrade to C7 pro. Adobe gave away many thousands of LR1
bppowell 12 2.1k 2 England
24 Jan 2013 9:41PM
Anyone know how I can get to edit files in Capture one.
I have imported some raw files but it will not let me edit any of them. Watched a couple of videos but they seem different to this version. I do not have 3 sections named "Fixed", Folders" and "Albums".

Barry
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 12:01AM
Click on the file Icon near top left in the following (it goes orange when active)
file.jpg

In the box below should be the directory structure of your computer. So navigate down that to where you have some RAW images in a folder. Click the folder you want it gets highlighted
folders.jpg

It should draw thumbnails of the images below the main editing window. Click on a thumbnail and the full size image should turn up.
full-screen.jpg

Then for the editing tools return to the bar you picked to find files and pick one of the others. For example here is the histogram set they go orange when you pick them.
histogram.jpg

And to generate the TIFF go to the process tab
process.jpg

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
25 Jan 2013 12:33AM
I really like the UI of LR4, its lovely brush and grad tool - and all the lovely keywording gubbins too

but shots from a recent landscape trip did seem to fair better in Capture One 7 than LR4....

Then again - I'm still trying to work out how to process 5d2 files after 6 years of 5D1 files... amazingly different beasts.

may dedicate a bit of time to sussing out C1 7 - see if I can get a workable workflow
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
25 Jan 2013 12:44AM

Quote:how you would know which to download 32 or 64 bit

Go to Start
Right click on computer and choose properties
It will bring up your system info
Look for System type and it will say whether it's 32 or 64 bit
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
25 Jan 2013 8:41AM
downloaded, but can't activate...says their server can't access my profile...guess everyone on epz is trying to load at the same time SadSad

Edit: take it all back...has now loaded..off to play GrinGrin
ChrisTom 6 72 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 9:17AM
Go to Start
Right click on computer and choose properties
It will bring up your system info
Look for System type and it will say whether it's 32 or 64 bit

Many thanks Pete.

Clicked on start, but canít see a choice for properties in (my computer) option, just a list of drives and two folders, my documents and shared documents . I have an old XP media version system so maybe the properties choice is only on latter operating systems, (the media part has not worked for some time).

If I understand your post correctly, 32 or 64 bit is to do with my system and not the Capture One program.

Many thanks again.

Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
25 Jan 2013 9:23AM
Ah right yes I'm using Windows 7. This page explains all the aspects of 32 vs 64-bit differences , including how you tell what you're on using XP. Yes it is to do with your computer's processing
BEVZED e2
7 1.1k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2013 9:31AM
ChrisTom, I didn't have a clue so opted for 32, works absolutely fine (this numpty couldn't find where it said about my operating system, the neighbour said if my laptop came out of the ark then go for the basic Smile ). Now I've seen Pete's post above I know that I was clicking not right-clicking! Just don't let it 'update', close that box or it will take you to an upgrade that you pay for.
Lovely program Smile Thanks again EPZ
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
25 Jan 2013 10:55AM
ok...Two processed shots

First one in Lightroom, second in Capture One
untitled--2-of-28-.jpg

1-untitled--2-of-28-.jpg

I found Capture One's menu a trifle irritating (in that it's not a one stop shop) but has some interesting peculiarities. I liked the `presets' in the `curves' area....I find that perhaps the most difficult element of Lightroom and it would be nice to have some ready-made presets.

Haven't gone into a great deal of detail yet, but given that I paid £90+ for Lightroom, and Capture One has come `free'...if you haven't already got LR...then this is probably a very close match. Smile

I'm more than happy with Lightroom, but it's nice to have a second option, and once I've figured out som of the finer points, it might be really useful GrinGrin

Thanks epz - great prizeGrin

ps I think the main difference in the shots if that I've used a `punch' preset in LR which adds `clarity' and `vibrance'.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.