Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Phone charges for taking photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bikerbob
    bikerbob  12173 forum posts
    10 Mar 2014 - 12:58 PM

My wife has a samsung smart phone which is on pay as you go but she is concerned about how much it is costing. This morning we went for a walk and she checked her balance before we left the car and it stood at 11.28. She switched the phone on and took about 8 photos of some swans then switched it off, when she got back to the car she checked her balance again and it was 10.28 so she says it is costing her 1 to take those photos. Now I know nothing much about mobile phones all I can do is send the odd text and phone people in my contact list. She has never used it to go on the internet or anything else other than send a few texts to the family but she has topped it up with 20 in the last month. How do I find out where the money is going. Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Mar 2014 - 12:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigpete
    10 Mar 2014 - 1:06 PM

Unless she is forwarding via email or mms their is no charge,, taking photo's is not at a cost only forwarding via a network which is done via mms or email even that is free as long as you do via wifi and not mobile data

Pete

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6697 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2014 - 1:10 PM

Sounds to me like the phone is downloading data when it is switched on, so you would be well advised to check the settings.

bikerbob
    10 Mar 2014 - 1:20 PM

Thanks for those quick replies she has no idea how to send photos but we will get someone to check the phone over to see if something needs changing in the settings. But at least we now know that photos are free. Thanks.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2014 - 2:06 PM

Go into your network settings and turn off wifi, mobile data and data roaming. Try taking pics again and see if its still doing it. Make sure Bluetooth isn't on either.

Nick

janovilas
    janovilas  10218 forum posts England
    10 Mar 2014 - 2:11 PM

It's worth checking to see if it has been configured to backup the photos automatically to dropbox or google drive or picasa or something along those lines. Turning off the data connection will stop that though.

Dave_Canon
    10 Mar 2014 - 6:41 PM

I have a Samsung Smart phone Pay as You Go. I also use drop box so if I take a photo it appears in drop box on my PC and Tablet. However, the transfer to Dropbox only takes place when the phone is connected to a WiFi network which is usually at home but now often free in many locations. My mobile data and data roaming is turned off but WiFi turned on. My balance only drops if I make a phone call or send a text message. 10 will last me months.

Dave

bikerbob
    10 Mar 2014 - 6:56 PM

The pay as you go card she uses is a virgin media card and I have been in touch with them and it seems that every day when she turns on the phone it charges 1 for internet use even though she does not use the internet I will get my son to look at it and disable this function. They said that it was some app or other that was causing the problem.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2014 - 7:48 PM

Probably Samsungs own app.

leybald
    leybald  539 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Mar 2014 - 9:08 PM

The phone is using data by downloading the GPS location for every photo you take to add to the exif file. Turn off the 3G and turn it only when you need it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.