Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photo converting

15 Oct 2009 9:03PM
hey guys im into photography for a few months , but im having a little bit of a struggle with converting photos , to upload them to the web. Most of my photos are taken in Raw format (.CR2) , but as soon as i convert them to upload them on the web i lose all my detail !

Can anyone please tell me how , and to which format i should convert my photos to????

Thanks Fritz

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2009 9:27PM
This may help

Quote:
All images must be:

* JPEG format (.jpg at the end)
* RGB format (not CMYK)
* resized to under 100Kb* in file size
(400Kb* for e2 members)
* no larger than 600x600 pixels in size
(1000x1000 pixels for e2 Members)
* Large versions are automatically made for images larger than 600x600 pixel

Important: *where possible please aim to compress to as close to 70Kb (200Kb e2) to improve your upload speed and performance. If you are unsure how to optimise your photographs, look at this technique:Resize your Photos for the Web

16 Oct 2009 12:46PM
Paint shop Pro v8.10 has a menu option whereby you can re-size the image to 600 x 600 pixels and an export option to reduce to 70Kb (or whatever sizes you want) in two easy steps.

I usually sharpen a little after the reduction and before uploading.
jas
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
16 Oct 2009 3:20PM
In Photoshop/Elements you have a 'save for web and devices' option that will compress the image down better than trying to do it with the pixel dimensions and resolution route, if that helps - so change your image size to the correct pixel dimensions in the 'image size' window, then 'save for web and devices' to get the right file size.
16 Oct 2009 4:43PM

Quote:...so change your image size to the correct pixel dimensions in the 'image size' window, then 'save for web and devices' to get the right file size.

Which is exactly what I said above with PSP, Katy..!! Smile
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
16 Oct 2009 5:04PM
well yes, but I was pointing out that this was available with other software Wink
16 Oct 2009 5:40PM
Fair enough, Katy, I guess it is! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.