Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photo Essay worth looking at.

sugarbird 10 223 South Africa
8 Aug 2008 4:09AM
http://www.dayswithmyfather.com/

I found this incredible....my respect. link

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NevP 9 853 13 Canada
8 Aug 2008 4:58AM
My respect too. It's rare to find this honesty so beautifully and eloquently expressed.
mark2uk 8 739 8 England
8 Aug 2008 7:11AM
A beautiful piece of work.
Very moving.
kitsch 8 439 4 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2008 7:30AM
very moving & eloquent, and wonderful photography too...
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2008 7:48AM
Really good work.
Geraint 8 715 34 Wales
8 Aug 2008 7:51AM
Incredibly moving. Thanks for sharing the link Jill.
Geraint
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2008 8:11AM
Beautiful, and quite moving... thanks Jill.
redjoker 6 981 4 England
8 Aug 2008 9:31AM
wow very good, and very moving, thanks for the link
Stewy e2
7 101 2 England
8 Aug 2008 11:51AM
Incredibly moving and beautifully photographed.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
8 Aug 2008 11:59AM
Good photography and simple text that said everything that needed saying.

Each image was good enough to stand on its own merits even without text, which is of course the main test/criteria for a strong photo essay.

Thanks for finding and sharing.
jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2008 12:07PM
Cheers for the link - hugely enjoyed that. Everyone with a spare moment should check it out.

Technically, it hangs together incredibly well. Continuity is the key word - the tones are similar throughout and the tiny DOF leads the eye to the pertinent detail.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2008 12:18PM
Well worth a view it captures a lot.

But it does so sound like Altzheimers, the behavours fit in so much with how my grandfather was. I remember he once read the same newspaper article over 10 times, each time expressing shock at the headlines, then telling a tale of how he boxed as a youth, with humour and intesity,. Then he would stop and stair into space, the light fade from his eyes and he would slow pick up the paper, read the headline...

Those photographs capture the different phases so well, just look at his father face..........
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
8 Aug 2008 12:23PM
Very touching....
John_Frid 8 514 56 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2008 12:42PM
An incredibly touching essay - so wonderfully and sensitively produced.
Graywolf 7 999 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2008 10:20PM
Very very moving.

It touched me in very many ways.

No one who has not dealt with dementia can really understand the the depths and heights it can drive you down and up to.

The Christmas before my dad, died 5 1/2 years ago, he was in hospital with cancer of the everything. After the three remaining members of my family had left I was on my own with my mum, who had already fairly advanced dementia, for the week until new year. I cannot remember how many times I must have explained to her where dad was and what was the matter with him.

She is not always an easy person to be with and dementai seems to show the real deep down person, but with the inhibitions stripped away, and the lowest point at that time for me was being on my knees in the dining room in tears of despair and frustration at the way in which she seemed to deliberately baulk me at every turn. The most important lesson I learned at that time was, 'probably best to do nothing' because in the end things sort themselves out.

by comparison..

Probably one of the funniest incidents was driving her back from her sister's in Somerset the next Christmas. She has a stoma bag, and this does not combine well with dementia and poor eyesight.

We stopped at services on the M5 coming north ( I won't tell you which one it was) as we needed to eat, which we did. She then decided she needed to go to the loo. She returned quite quickly to announce that her bag had 'burst'.

OK I can deal with this. Into the car, fossick about and find some fresh ones. oh But wait.. they need to be cut to the right size. No problem, up to the till and borrow a pair of scissors. By this time she has found a pre -cut bag in her handbag, so I pack her off back to the ladies to do the business.

about 10 minutes later she returns carrying

wait for it........

the old stoma bag wrapped in her knickers.

I take her by the elbow and hustle her to the door.

'Just put it all in the bin there mum' I said pointing to the bin outside the main door.

She started to argue but by that stage I wasn't having any of that.

An hour and a half later we called at another service station for her to have a wee.

As we were leaving the building she tucked her arm in mine and whispered.

'Whatever you do don't have a crash'

I looked at her and said,

"what are you talking about mother?"

'I seem to have forgotten to put any knickers on this morning'.

I nearly pissed myself laughing, and it ended up with her helping me to the car.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.