Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bonvilston
    12 Jan 2012 - 3:25 PM

I have just converted my website to a virtual representation of a real life image gallery. The images are on walls in themed rooms and the menu is a map of the gallery. It operates like the electronic touch screen maps you get in shopping malls. I don't want to go much further into this idea if it is totally along the wrong sort of lines. Any comments would be very welcome.

Peter

Got to The Site

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jan 2012 - 3:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 3:33 PM

I admire the idea but unfortunately the execution doesn't do it for me, sorry. It doesn't look very professional, not helped by the spotlights and wouldn't inspire me to buy anything. Once in the gallery the arrows don't work and the only way of getting to the art motion gallery is via the map.

If you want to carry down this route I would recommend your background look more like the theme, that grey is pretty drab and your navigation arrows be thumbnails of the next room, not just arrows.

Also, purchasing images should be a seamless operation from the image you want to purchase, not a separate link. Each image needs full details of sizes and prices.

Sorry if this comes across a bit harsh.

Ian

Last Modified By digicammad at 12 Jan 2012 - 3:34 PM
    adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 3:34 PM

Certainly an interesting concept; I don't know if it will catch on.
    I don't know if you have activated it or not but your "go back" arrow doesn't work, so I had to quit the gallery & re-enter to look around.

Bonvilston
    12 Jan 2012 - 3:40 PM

Adrian - it is still a draft really so i will look at the back button and make it active, thanks

Digicammad - Not at all harsh. The whole point of putting the comment on here was to get comments and constructive criticism. Just not sure whether to persist or to accept it was a bad idea.

Thanks both for the comments

digicammad
    12 Jan 2012 - 3:48 PM

To reinforce your idea of the gallery map, that should probably be on the home page rather than a separate link. It would also pay to make it look less clunky, for example if you imagine how a Cluedo board looks you could use that type of concept. You could even inject a bit of fun by having toilets and a cafe, with appropriate images in there.

Bonvilston
    12 Jan 2012 - 3:51 PM

digicammad - you are now making me enthused again ! what a dilemma. But thanks for the ideas !!! Grin

digicammad
    12 Jan 2012 - 4:10 PM

No worries

KevSB
    KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 4:32 PM

For me it looks like it is aimed at the younger market very much like the touchscreen buttons you get in musiems to engage children, The light grey background does nothing to highlight your images and Does not have a professional feel to it as does the Lights which dominate your initial Viewing, I Feel it cheapens what is excellent content , This is my own opinion and may differ completely to everyone Else's.

chrissp26
    chrissp26  1039 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jan 2012 - 9:53 PM

For me digicammad summed it up perfectly its a very good idea but the execution lets it down.

The lamp graphics aren't cut out very well, they have jagged edges, if you used a magic wand to cut them out in photoshop make sure you check the antialiasing option to smooth away the jaggies or if you are using cs5 try using the refine edge tool when working with marquees.

I think the your concept has merit and is worth persuing, as you said yourself its an early version. I would ditch the noisy background I've never been in a gallery that has such distracting walls or dirty looking walls. Think about how a picture hangs on the wall, which direction the light is coming from and create a SHALLOW - note the word shallow - drop shadow to lift the images off and perhaps experiment with CSS3 rotation definitions to angle your pictures slightly. Don't worry though in older browsers they will default back to there square alignment.

I've put together a very quick and very crude test of what I mean here:

http://www.chris-spittles.co.uk/codeForForums/gallery/gallery.html

You will need a modern browser i.e. firefox 5 or higher, Chrome, IE9 or Safari to see its true benefit.

It uses HTML5 and CSS3. There is a small JAvascript file to ensure the HTML5 elements render correctly in IE7 and IE8.

Have a look and hopefully you will see what I mean. That example took me 10minutes to create and although it will only really work with 1 image on the page, give me another 30 mins and I'll write a script which can randomise the rotation and position of images on the wall.

Feel free to view the source if you need an explanation of what is doing what, give me a shout.

All the best

Chris.

Bonvilston
    12 Jan 2012 - 10:08 PM

Chris,

Thanks a lot. i've looked at the page and get the idea. I will do a bit more work on mine and get back to you if that's OK

Peter

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.