Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo Information or lack of on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 2:49 PM

Isn't it about time that seen as this is primarily a photographic site with a large proportion of amatuer and beginner photographers that ALL photos contained the exif details or at least the make of camera lens and basic settings used where you can actually glean information on the shooting and equipment styles used in types of photography and by certain photographers. At the moment its just left to chance and some have no info at all which for me anyway is a bit pointless.

Also as an aside to this everytime i post a photo I have to physically choose the Canon 5D3 instead of it coming up automatically, not sure if an update is needed somewhere.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 2:50 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2013 - 2:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72303 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
25 Oct 2013 - 2:57 PM

If the photo uploaded contains exif information, we include it. However, the lack of data is often times down to how the image is saved/exported before uploading to ePHOTOzine. In many cases, software settings will be setup to minimize file size and thus will strip out the exif data.

If you are finding that your photos aren't displaying exif data, I would first check if the image file you uploaded contains exif data. If it doesn't, check the software you used to save/export the image to ensure meta data/exif is kept.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 25 Oct 2013 - 2:59 PM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 3:21 PM

If using photoshop and you use save as it will retain exif etc.
If you use save to web it will strip the exif data if i recall.
So the lack of details has nothing to do with epz it's the user.

Not sure about other photo editing software as I only use photoshop.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 25 Oct 2013 - 3:25 PM
franken
franken e2 Member 113061 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 3:33 PM

Quote: If using photoshop and you use save as it will retain exif etc.
If you use save to web it will strip the exif data if i recall.
So the lack of details has nothing to do with epz it's the user.

Not sure about other photo editing software as I only use photoshop.

I agree.

Whether an individual wants to upload the data or not is entirely up to them really and certainly not something that can be demanded.

Ken

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 3:34 PM

Forgot to say if you blend several images or hdr them most of the exif data will either be missing or wrong.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 3:37 PM

Quote: If you use save to web it will strip the exif data if i recall.

If you want to use Save for Web, which does help minimise file size, there is an option to keep exif data.

franken
franken e2 Member 113061 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 3:41 PM

Quote: If you use save to web it will strip the exif data if i recall.
If you want to use Save for Web, which does help minimise file size, there is an option to keep exif data.

I can't see the option in elements 11 Pete?

Ken

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 3:46 PM

Ah that may be right Ken. I was referring to the options in Photoshop CS

Last Modified By Pete at 25 Oct 2013 - 3:47 PM
pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 3:57 PM

I include exif information in my photos and would normally put it in if it does not come up , I cannot see why people would want to hide it and surely its simple enough to make the inclusion of camera lens and basic shooting info compulsory just as you have with adult / no adult / tags etc , that way no matter how it was saved people have the ability to learn from the photos how and by what they were taken and everyone just fills in the info if they need to.

franken
25 Oct 2013 - 4:01 PM

I tend to add the exif data with the exception of multiple uploads as I think the same info transfers to all of them?

Ken

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:04 PM

It's very difficult to include EXIF data if say you are posting an image that's a multi-layered stack or something else that may have been heavily manipulated.......I try to include as much information as possible, but I know a lot of other folk don't, but personally I don't really see what the problem is?

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43692 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:04 PM

The 5D III always appears automatically when I upload, no need to put add it manually.

As for what exif is included, I do not feel you should expect ePz to demand that every image uploaded includes this info. Not all save their images in a way that included exif.
Making camera brand and lens a 'must include' could be desirable, but I personally feel we don't want to be too demanding. That only puts people off.
Not everyone is interested in knowing what equipment was used.

Malc

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72151 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Forgot to say if you blend several images or hdr them most of the exif data will either be missing or wrong.

Most of my work is composite, and the root image exif info is displayed.
As Pete says, CS gives you the option to retain exif with 'Save for web'.

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 4:16 PM

Quote: The 5D III always appears automatically when I upload, no need to put add it manually.

As for what exif is included, I do not feel you should expect ePz to demand that every image uploaded includes this info. Not all save their images in a way that included exif.
Making camera brand and lens a 'must include' could be desirable, but I personally feel we don't want to be too demanding. That only puts people off.
Not everyone is interested in knowing what equipment was used.

Malc

It does not matter how an image is saved, the information can easily be input by the user along with the other stuff they need to enter. Its the way forward with the technology surrounding cameras phones now etc with things like geotagging etc and its just a matter of time before epz will be left behind if it does not do these things , after all this is a cutting edge photographic site and there is no reason in the world anyone could want to hide what camera or lens took a photo is there ? or am i missing that ?

Not everyone is interested in knowing what equipment was used ? that's an assumption - maybe you should ask or put it to a vote i think a lot of people would like to see that information.

p.s not to mention the obvious SEO and Advertising gains that could be for EPZ by making more use of manufacturers information

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 4:19 PM
keithh
keithh  1022818 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:19 PM

It's not a case of hiding the information it's more a case of relevance. If, for want of an argument, I included the exif info for my last shot posted, it would not help anyone at all unless they had the exact details of the lighting used and even then it would be of minimal use.

Knowing that someone used Manual Mode for 1/2 sec at F11 for a landscape photograph tells you nothing.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.