Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo Information or lack of on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:21 PM

Quote: It's not a case of hiding the information it's more a case of relevance. If, for want of an argument, I included the exif info for my last shot posted, it would not help anyone at all unless they had the exact details of the lighting used and even then it would be of minimal use.

Knowing that someone used Manual Mode for 1/2 sec at F11 for a landscape photograph tells you nothing.

The people it will help are the beginners and amateurs looking for help advice and guidance on equipment as well as those of us interested enough to actually want to know when we see a good shot some of the background to it.

And that said i may actually gain some knowledge from the fact you took a landscape shot at F11 with a particular lens as that may tell me its sweet spot.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 4:23 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2013 - 4:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:26 PM

But having the exit info on This image tells you nothing. The only bit of info of remotely any use would be f8 and that's it.

Even judging lens quality would be a waste of time.

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 4:28 PM

Quote: But having the exit info on This image tells you nothing. The only bit of info of remotely any use would be f8 and that's it.

Even judging lens quality would be a waste of time.

and the fact it was taken with a 50mm lens which to some would be important , shows the quailty of the prime. Added to the fact it was taken with an 'older' camera showing you dont need brand new equipment to take a good shot.

Some people dont include ANY info with their photos.

It is by the way a cracking shot !

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 4:30 PM
conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:33 PM

So I think we can conclude that although some want to see the exif data, displaying it isn't always that useful, that EPZ shouldn't or can't require it from people who want to upload an image, and that it therefore will still be left up to the individual.

Right? Glad we got that settled... Smile

Last Modified By conrad at 25 Oct 2013 - 4:33 PM
pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM

A quick look at your excellent PF conrad completely disproves your point. Looking at your images without data ( and we are not talking only exif but also camera lens ) one could be forgiven for thinking they were taken with a few thousand pounds worth of camera. The fact that you have wrung that amount of performance out of your camera says a lot about your skill as a tog and also tells the viewer that sometimes the lens is a lot more important than the camera.

So no not settled Wink

p.s note that on your PF there are comments such as ' what camera do you use '

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 4:39 PM
keithh
25 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM

I know . Lol.

But I can hide a multitude of failings at this size. Who knows what it looks like at 16 inch...I know ....but you don't get that info at 1000 pixels.

There was a landscape photographer some years back on EPZ who had an exhibition close to where I lived and in it was one of my favourite works not just of his but as a landscape work on its own.

In real life it just wasn't sharp.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 33370 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway22 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:41 PM

Quote:
It does not matter how an image is saved, the information can easily be input by the user along with the other stuff they need to enter. Its the way forward with the technology surrounding cameras phones now etc with things like geotagging etc and its just a matter of time before epz will be left behind if it does not do these things , after all this is a cutting edge photographic site and there is no reason in the world anyone could want to hide what camera or lens took a photo is there ? or am i missing that ?

Not everyone is interested in knowing what equipment was used ? that's an assumption - maybe you should ask or put it to a vote i think a lot of people would like to see that information.

p.s not to mention the obvious SEO and Advertising gains that could be for EPZ by making more use of manufacturers information

How much information should we demand people include? Camera make and lens? Full exif? People do not like being made to include info that is not automatically included in their normal workflow. Many will have to manually enter the exif on uploading...a pain in the posterior, or change their way of saving to have it included automatically.
It's nothing to do with hiding, it's about freedom of choice for the individual.

What good is exif when viewing 98% of images on ePz? They are invariably processed to a degree that makes the exif basically irrelevant..OK if the original non-retouched image is included, but otherwise? And all the variables in weather/light at the time mean the exif is basically useless to anyone who wasn't there to see the conditions with their own eyes.
OK, it can be useful to show, for example, how much motion blur was achieved with the shutter speed used, I'll give you that. But if I show ISO 200, 1/200th and f/11 on an image of my garden it tells you nothing at all about the amount of levels adjustment, curves and other alterations done on the pc. In all such instances exif means diddly-dot.

Malc

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 4:42 PM

Quote: I know . Lol.

But I can hide a multitude of failings at this size. Who knows what it looks like at 16 inch...I know ....but you don't get that info at 1000 pixels.

There was a landscape photographer some years back on EPZ who had an exhibition close to where I lived and in it was one of my favourite works not just of his but as a landscape work on its own.

In real life it just wasn't sharp.

The day wont be far away when EPZ upgrades picture sizes , Google+ is running at over 2000px currently !

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 4:46 PM

Sorry Malc but your not seeing the bigger picture. There are technical aspects to this that those who are involved with the other side of EPZ the actual website will understand only too well. Targeting of advertising specifically being one and being able to direct the right ad at the right person will bring in more advertisers and more revenue. If I am posting a shot using a Canon 5Dmk3 , why would i want to see an ad for a pentax lens on the side ? the ad for the latest canon fit lens would be much more likely to get my attention. Cookies and extracting data are a large part of advertising and EPZ is advertising driven with no doubt even though it has great user content.

So its a win win , win for users see more info, win for epz makes more money. Cant really see your point ? You are after all already demanding a certain amount of information to post a photo so the user has to interact.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 4:50 PM
keithh
25 Oct 2013 - 4:47 PM

2000 pixels makes for a very very stealable image size. A whole site suddenly ruined by horrendously designed watermarks but that's a different story.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 33370 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway22 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:53 PM

Ah, right Andrew,
I thought your OP was all about including exif for the specific benefit of other members, now I see you are thinking more in the direction of the commercial benefits of having that info included. Your last post clarified that.
In that case, we agree. (No matter how much I hate targeted advertisingWink)

Malc

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 4:54 PM

So if an image composited of two or three images, what is the correct Exif? not to mention HDR

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 4:56 PM

It could simply be labelled as a composite or HDR in a drop down box, the camera, lens, and in fact all the data could be in drop down boxes. This would actually be of even more use to the user to know.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 4:57 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:00 PM

Why would anyone want to waste their time with numerous drop down boxes - it's how tho picture looks to the eye that matters, not that the latest nikkor 6-800 f1.2 lens is used

GarethRobinson
25 Oct 2013 - 5:01 PM

Nick there is no correct exif of use to anyone when images are composites or hdr from multiple shots except for maybe lens used focal length and f-stop.
As said earlier in the post. But im sure someone will say different.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 25 Oct 2013 - 5:04 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.