Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo Information or lack of on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:12 PM

Quote: Why would anyone want to waste their time with numerous drop down boxes - it's how tho picture looks to the eye that matters, not that the latest nikkor 6-800 f1.2 lens is used

Not really the greatest critique i have ever heard ! if that was the case why would EPZ even bother including the info at all.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2013 - 5:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73867 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:14 PM

Quote: Not really the greatest critique i have ever heard ! if that was the case why would EPZ even bother including the info at all.

So do I, if I look at a Rembrandt, I don't care what brush he used.

EDIT: if someone wants help or critique of their image, sometimes Exif is important.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 25 Oct 2013 - 5:17 PM
pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Not really the greatest critique i have ever heard ! if that was the case why would EPZ even bother including the info at all.

So do I, if I look at a Rembrandt, I don't care what brush he used.

Dragging old chestnuts like that out isn't going to help the cause. Rembrandt and DSLR photography dont have an awful lot in common.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73867 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:20 PM

Quote: .Dragging old chestnuts like that out isn't going to help the cause. Rembrandt and DSLR photography dont have an awful lot in common.

No, what about composition, lighting, model craft. I take it you haven't seen the work of Peter Kemp?

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 5:21 PM

I wonder though if Rembrandt had been given the choice of 100 different makes of brush and 1000 different types of head ( to be a fair comparison ) would people then have asked which one he used ?

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 25 Oct 2013 - 5:22 PM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8991 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:24 PM

To be honest I think the original question has been answered long ago and now the goal posts have been moved.

Close the thread before the sh1t hits the exif.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 25 Oct 2013 - 5:29 PM
Nick_w
25 Oct 2013 - 5:26 PM

They probably would, but my point is, composition, knowing your subject, how to use the available light,is infinitely more important than the EXIF information. Pre- visualise the image and your halfway there. Knowing that x used F8 1/125 sec doesn't tell you much.

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 5:26 PM

Is that the normal end to a healthy debate ? Close the thread.

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 5:29 PM

Quote: They probably would, but my point is, composition, knowing your subject, how to use the available light,is infinitely more important than the EXIF information. Pre- visualise the image and your halfway there. Knowing that x used F8 1/125 sec doesn't tell you much.

Agreed Nick, in some cases it wouldn't tell you much , but there again in some it would. So as suggested earlier its something that should be looked at in the case of the beginners amateurs and for financial reasons, just dismissing it without consideration is hardly a sensible way forward.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8991 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:31 PM

a healthy debate to the original question is fine. Are you still asking the same question I don't think so.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023013 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:36 PM

When did the rule that debate has to stick rigidly to the original question suddenly appear?

Debate evolves.

Nick_w
25 Oct 2013 - 5:38 PM

It's not the actual data that matters, it's knowing what the shutter speed, aperture do. So just religiously dissecting someone's images doesn't serve much purpose. For example in Keith's image, was it natural light, was it just the candle (I doubt it Wink) was it flash, was it cropped? If so by how much. Part of the information can be misleading. By that I mean 1/125 sec with natural light says one thing, with flash it's virtually meaningless - for the particular instance, it could have been 10seconds (in a dark room) or 1/250 sec and you would get the same result - (candle aside)

For me I'm more interested in the relationship between the various elements, what they mean, why they were placed where they are, is it just a load of innate objects plonked on a table, or were they placed where they are for a reason, are there any messages there?

Last Modified By Nick_w at 25 Oct 2013 - 5:41 PM
GarethRobinson
25 Oct 2013 - 5:38 PM

when it's a Friday and the pubs open and we all cant go to the same pub to continue Tongue

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 5:39 PM

Quote: A quick look at your excellent PF conrad completely disproves your point. Looking at your images without data ( and we are not talking only exif but also camera lens ) one could be forgiven for thinking they were taken with a few thousand pounds worth of camera. The fact that you have wrung that amount of performance out of your camera says a lot about your skill as a tog and also tells the viewer that sometimes the lens is a lot more important than the camera.

Actually, a lot of the 'excellent' images in my PF are from the time I had someone who helped me with my photoshopping, something that I'm not very good at myself. Not much to do with the camera, I could have used a cheap compact and many of the results would still have been stunning. Even my one and only EC was a combination of two pics and could have been created with almost any camera AND a lot of photoshopping. So the answers to those questions about my camera were useless, giving EXIF data was a problem, and it wouldn't have meant much anyway.

So I think you've just proven one of my points... Smile

Last Modified By conrad at 25 Oct 2013 - 5:41 PM
lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 7:17 PM

I include all my exif data, It may be of help to someone who has exactly the same kit...but I doubt it

Other peoples exif is personally of no interest to me at all...same as all the youtube videos on how to do a certain style of photography.

Its my hobby and I want it to last a lifetime and keep on learning through my failures and successes,

there isnt a quick fix in having exif data to improve photography....just time and effort to understand that computer called a camera, be it a nikon, pentax, olympus, canon etc or post processing the image, or using flash...

Its all about trying to make a personal style in the crowded image taking market!! and having a lot of fun whilst doing soTongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.