Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo Information or lack of on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 91072 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 7:30 PM

Quote: It's not a case of hiding the information it's more a case of relevance. If, for want of an argument, I included the exif info for my last shot posted, it would not help anyone at all unless they had the exact details of the lighting used and even then it would be of minimal use.

Any information could be of use. I sometimes look at shots taken that are similar to mine to compare settings. It would seem to me that the people who argue against showing it really don't want to, same as the people who put watermarks on shots or web page addresses for free advertising, amazing that they are never taken down. I can't believe that other than for web use they are worth stealing to print as the files are so small.

Last Modified By MalcolmS at 25 Oct 2013 - 7:31 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2013 - 7:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 7:47 PM

Well I can produce a perfectly good 7x 5 greeting card from a 1000 pixel image but I also hate watermarks on EPZ it has to be said.

However on that particular shot it is not the exif info that would prove useful, it's the lighting info and that means I have to start explaining it before I upload the photo and it's not going to happen.

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 91072 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 7:51 PM

As I said, it would seem to me that the people who argue against showing it really don't want to, shame really as it can be a help.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 7:57 PM

No it can't.

Basic exif info is useful to the person who took it. To anybody else without the knowledge of the lighting or conditions it means less than very little.

I could sit down and spend five minutes explaining a particular lighting technique but it's not why I'm here. Other people may be here to learn, fair enough, but it's not my job to teach them.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 8:08 PM

Quote: No it can't.

Basic exif info is useful to the person who took it. To anybody else without the knowledge of the lighting or conditions it means less than very little.

I could sit down and spend five minutes explaining a particular lighting technique but it's not why I'm here. Other people may be here to learn, fair enough, but it's not my job to teach them.

Do you really mean that Keith ? if so maybe you have missed the point of being part of a community.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43924 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 8:09 PM

Quote: No it can't.

Exactly what I was saying earlier, Keith...it may interesting, but it has very little relevance other than to the person who took the image.

Quote: ...same as the people who put watermarks on shots or web page addresses for free advertising,

Not quite sure what this has to do with the subject of exif inclusion?

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 25 Oct 2013 - 8:10 PM
keithh
25 Oct 2013 - 8:19 PM

Quote: Do you really mean that Keith ? if so maybe you have missed the point of being part of a community.

I wouldn't write it, Andrew and I'm a member of a website. I have, in truth, helped countless members of this website, but it's not my job. If I had to write a flipping monologue on every photo I'd rather not bother.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 8:22 PM

Quote: if so maybe you have missed the point of being part of a community.

Do you check on your elderly neighbors? Thats community stuffWinkTongue

Sounds to me like your getting a bit soppy, twisted and possibly bitter over something Pulsar and should probably be spending your time more usefully in the communityTongue

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73881 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 8:38 PM

Quote: Do you really mean that Keith ? if so maybe you have missed the point of being part of a community.

It's a photo sharing website, not help the aged.

Next people will be asking for everyone's exact workflow.

MalcolmS
25 Oct 2013 - 9:11 PM

Quote: It's a photo sharing website, not help the aged.

I thought it was more than that. I thought it was a knowledge sharing site where those with a common passion shared experise and helped each other to progress their skills. Excuse me for being so idealistic, but it would appear that I have been paying my subs. under a misapprehension.

Quote: If I had to write a flipping monologue on every photo I'd rather not bother.

Nobody is asking for this, it takes absolutely no effort whatsoever to include exif information. If the final product is a result of combining multiple exposures and the exif info. is not relevant so be it, but please stop making excuses for the fact that you don't really want anyone to know how you produced a shot.

Last Modified By MalcolmS at 25 Oct 2013 - 9:12 PM
martin.w
martin.w e2 Member 12352 forum postsmartin.w vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 9:31 PM

I rarely include the data, mainly because I can't be bothered except for camera and lens. If anybody asks (and they have) I tell them, but I don't often look at others data unless I find fault with the shot to see if anything major is wrong. When I see a shot I like on here I look for visual clues like composition rather than settings. As images could use filters, different lighting, hdr and various other photoshop stuff, I probably couldn't duplicate it even if I wanted too....and I don't.

As far as I am aware there is still choice on EPZ......and too be honest I find a lack of any sort of description much worse than a lack of data! Wink

MalcolmS
25 Oct 2013 - 9:46 PM

Quote: As far as I am aware there is still choice on EPZ

Nobody would deny that Martin and I would not suscribe to forcing anyone to put exif. data up if they don't want to. When I first joined EPZ and met you on a meet in the Lakes I looked at your PF and liked what I saw. I wanted to take shots as good as yours and so any info. that you could give me was welcome, by whatever means.
You don't need to look at data as you are capable of producing superb shots in your own right, as is Keith. I don't look at data as often now as I believe I have progressed, perhaps not very adventurous but I am reasonably happy with what I produce. It's just a shame that some don't feel they can voluntarily share their expertise and unlike you, some won't share it even when asked. Yes I could have gone to college and studied photography and may have had an equal level of knowledge by now, but I didn't get into it in a serious way until later in life by which time I had qualified in something else and there are already too many professional photographers for the market.

Last Modified By MalcolmS at 25 Oct 2013 - 10:02 PM
pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:24 PM

Its a sad day but i have to say there are far too many old timers on here who need to dust off the cobwebs and move into the now, being part of a critique team or a moderator or simply being a long time member does not make your opinion any more or less valuable or appropriate than anyone else , everyone has an opinion and is welcome to share and discuss it. The whole principle of a forum. The principal of a photographic community is to share photos , if you wish to hide the information that goes with those photos then what on earth is the point ?

No one has yet given any single plausible explanation as to why they would NOT want to share the data from a shot they have taken, just wandered around the houses with reasons no one needs to know. Can someone come up with a reason other than people don't need to know - because obviously they do or they would not ask.

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:28 PM

I think that for the critique gallery as much info as you can possibly share is always useful to someone trying to work out what went wrong and what you did right.

For the regular gallery... well, unless you happen to be standing right next to the photographer and using exactly the same camera, lens, filters, and you use the same editing software and the same workflow, don't even begin to imagine that you can use the same settings and get the same results.

There are many EPZ tutorials on a very wide variety of photographic subjects, plus a healthy forum with many people willing to offer advice, so is it really necessary to include exif data on every shot posted in the gallery?

keithh
25 Oct 2013 - 10:30 PM

Because if it is a community or society or whatever you might like to call it...it is a free one where people are free to choose how they use and interact with it.

And no one has given a plausible reason for sharing all of the information on every photo or show me the multitude of questioners.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.