Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo Information or lack of on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:35 PM

If you all go back to the beginning you will see i suggested that the exif data OR at least the camera and lens should be included , not necessarily every single detail. If you cant even be bothered to fill in basic details of your photo then why bother posting and expecting others to vote and comment ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2013 - 10:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

martin.w
martin.w  12350 forum posts United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:39 PM

I have been on this site over 11 years and uploaded over 1500 images. I have been asked less than 10 times for the settings on my photos Wink

franken
franken e2 Member 112926 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:43 PM

Quote: No one has yet given any single plausible explanation as to why they would NOT want to share the data from a shot they have taken, just wandered around the houses with reasons no one needs to know. Can someone come up with a reason other than people don't need to know - because obviously they do or they would not ask.

As I mentioned earlier, I do supply the info although it relates to the exact time and place that I take each shot and as such may not be of any real value to others.

You could use exactly the same settings in another place and time and the results may not be worthy of an upload.

Yes, you can see what cameras and lenses are being used although they are simply tools and a camera is yet to be invented that will compose and take the shot exactly as you would see it when you press the shutter.

Other reasons are that some people who use software like Photoshop Elements and they save for web will lose all exif data and some may consider it not worth the effort of manually inputting data? Full versions of Photoshop allow you to do this though.

I can't see any plausible reason as to why people on this site should have to justify why they do or don't supply this information to be honest.

Ken

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 10:48 PM

Quote: I have been on this site over 11 years and uploaded over 1500 images. I have been asked less than 10 times for the settings on my photos Wink

Because you are already supplying your camera and lens on your information. Which is at the sake of pointing out yet again the whole point , not everyone even does that.

This is fast becoming a community of people who just argue the point without considering it, if you cant see any reason to give information about a photo you have then just don't post it. If you have become so self important that you believe no one else needs to know what you did how or with what then you have truly lost the whole ethos of a photo sharing community and should just put your hard drives in safe storage somewhere and have done.

Jestertheclown
25 Oct 2013 - 10:51 PM

Quote: This is fast becoming a community of people who just argue the point without considering it,

. . . you've just noticed?

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 25 Oct 2013 - 10:51 PM
franken
franken e2 Member 112926 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:56 PM

Why can't we all take for granted that some people are happy to supply the info and others for various reasons don't want to and move on.

Ken

martin.w
martin.w  12350 forum posts United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 11:01 PM

Quote: If you cant even be bothered to fill in basic details of your photo then why bother posting and expecting others to vote and comment ?

You have done.....fifth one down in your recent activity...just jpeg as info.

I have given it consideration, as have several others above....most information given would be useless as similar settings would not give the same photo....certainly not out of a studio anyway. It is yourself that is not actually considering what is being added to this subject by a variety of different photographers.

pulsar69
25 Oct 2013 - 11:02 PM

Quote: Why can't we all take for granted that some people are happy to supply the info and others for various reasons don't want to and move on.

Ken

Actually we can, and i for one am moving on. Pastures fresher and more open await.

keithh
keithh  1022565 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 11:06 PM

Perhaps it will be a place where the world just agrees with Andrew.

GarethRobinson
25 Oct 2013 - 11:08 PM

C the **** hit the exif.

Have a great weekend folks and tune in next Friday with your modified exifs for round 2...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214407 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 11:13 PM

Quote: No it can't.

Basic exif info is useful to the person who took it. To anybody else without the knowledge of the lighting or conditions it means less than very little.

I could sit down and spend five minutes explaining a particular lighting technique but it's not why I'm here. Other people may be here to learn, fair enough, but it's not my job to teach them.

I totally agree with this, the exif information is pretty useless to anyone other than the person who took the picture, the only use I can think of is when entering competitions.

Quote: Next people will be asking for everyone's exact workflow

Some people supply this info on DVD`s and charge for it Smile

Quote: No one has yet given any single plausible explanation as to why they would NOT want to share the data from a shot they have taken, just wandered around the houses with reasons no one needs to know. Can someone come up with a reason other than people don't need to know - because obviously they do or they would not ask

Back in the eighties when I first started using a camera I found the woman's glossy magazines taught me a whole lot more about lighting than any photographic magazine ever could, those magazines forced me to get out and experiment.

lawbert
lawbert  71647 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 11:19 PM

Quote: Its a sad day but i have to say there are far too many old timers on here who need to dust off the cobwebs

Hmmm.....youve been here 9 years....perhaps you need a light dustingWinkTongue

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 11:57 PM

there is a website that I like for both recipes and the photography http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/seroendeng

no amount of exif data will ever help you recreate what is produced by Kay, she has some fantastic natural light for most of the year but its about more than that and just one example would be portraits - Keithh once said something thats stayed with me forever.. that the eyes are windows to the soul, no amount of exif will ever be able to provide that.

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 12:30 AM

I can do a bit of cooking, and sometimes the results are edible, but it never ever looks anything like the photos on Kay's site, more like a small explosion in a grocery store... Tongue

It's the same with exif data - you can buy the camera and lens, follow the instructions, faithfully note the settings someone else used, but the end result may still turn out to be an explosion of the photographic kind. Or you can experiment and find out what style of cooking works for you, what you can get away with and what works best with a few extra ingredients Wink

keithh
keithh  1022565 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 5:59 AM

I once said what?

Was I drunk. Lol Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.