Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo Information or lack of on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keith selmes
26 Oct 2013 - 8:15 AM

Quote: moving on. Pastures fresher and more open await.

If those pastures have photographers, they'll say the same as people here.
Personaly, I like to see details, they satisfy curiosity, but exif data does no more than that.
It's also potentially misleading. My exif often says I used a 400mm lens, when I don't have one. I do have a x2 TC though.
And very often it doesn't say what lens or aperture I used, because it wasn't an electronic lens.
Often, beginners think exif data will help them, but it won't.
It's a bit disturbing when you find experienced and even pro photgraphers apparently not understanding this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Oct 2013 - 8:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

indemnity
indemnity  6329 forum posts
26 Oct 2013 - 10:56 AM

It doesn't bother me giving the exif, or how the lighting has been done. That's only the start, the flash duration and lighting ratio used and how the image was processed makes all the difference. I've selectively altered the exposure in images by 2 stops, put gradients of 1-2 stops, not to mention mapping, curves, levels etc. even how a monochrome conversion was done can not be assessed from resulting image.

Somebody using a bridge/crop camera applying the settings used on a full frame or MF camera is not for example going to get the same depth of field.

On the other hand when somebody has a problem or an issue with an image, exif can be helpful in determining where or how it went wrong.

However more of an issue on here when there's no exif information, it's for very good reason... usually there are no images in the portfolio, yet they also have a remarkable ability to comment in the forums giving advice on 'how to do it'. Wink

Todays 2p spent.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 11:47 AM

So...

For displaying exif:

- Our supposed "duty" as part of a community (highly contested)
- When somebody has a problem or an issue with an image, exif can be helpful in determining where or how it went wrong (hmmm ... critique gallery?)
- Others can learn from it (also highly contested)
(Did I forget any arguments for displaying exif?)

Against:

- Not always possible if you're saving for Web, depending on the software you use
- Not possible (or even misleading) if the image you post is a combination of several shots
- The right of the photographer to decide not to post the data, whatever his or her reasons might be (who are we to judge?)
- Showing the exif data is useless anyway, since using them to try and re-create the image is unlikely to lead to the same result
(Did I leave any out?)
-

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 12:32 PM

Quote: Actually we can, and i for one am moving on. Pastures fresher and more open await.

EXIT EXIF.Smile

conrad
26 Oct 2013 - 1:06 PM

Amazing how trivial a reason for leaving can be...

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 1:15 PM

Quote: Against:

- Not always possible if you're saving for Web, depending on the software you use
- Not possible (or even misleading) if the image you post is a combination of several shots
- The right of the photographer to decide not to post the data, whatever his or her reasons might be (who are we to judge?)
- Showing the exif data is useless anyway, since using them to try and re-create the image is unlikely to lead to the same result
(Did I leave any out?)

YES.

- In this surveillance obsessed world some Government Agency or other could be collecting this data to use against us at a later date...

Wink

conrad
26 Oct 2013 - 1:53 PM

Quote: In this surveillance obsessed world some Government Agency or other could be collecting this data to use against us at a later date...

Not just government agencies, how about digital stalkers / ex-partners, ... etc.

Last Modified By conrad at 26 Oct 2013 - 1:53 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 3:49 PM

Quote: Often, beginners think exif data will help them, but it won't.

...saved me saying it Wink

they don't know it's "pretty useless" till they get a little more experienced ?

at the start you're clutching onto any shred of information, not knowing whether its useful of not Wink

me - well if I export from Lightroom it usually has EXIF in, if I save for web in Photoshop, it usually strips is out... and that's it really.

recently, a few people have commented congratulating me on including the EXIF, which was unexpected

Smile

keith selmes
26 Oct 2013 - 5:46 PM

Quote: they don't know it's "pretty useless" till they get a little more experienced ?

If they're lucky, someone more experienced will tell them, and if they're clever, they'll believe it Smile Can save a lot of time and confusion and frustration.

I started with reading magazine photo captions, just before digital cameras and exif became popular. The same thing applies.
And the people who confirmed the futility were Ctein and Roger Hicks, on the Compuserve Forum, several years BE (Before Ephotozine).

I suppose we do look for a simple answer, like "this is the best lens to use", or "use these settings for this subject", and eventually find it's not really that simple.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 11:05 PM

Indeed. This is why we run workshops Wink

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 91072 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2013 - 11:31 AM

Useless or not, it's interesting to some. The photography publications would seem to agree as they invariably publish some of the information.

conrad
28 Oct 2013 - 9:36 AM

Quote: it's interesting to some

That may be the case, but it's not enough reason to require every user to include the data on every upload to the gallery.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014800 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2013 - 7:23 PM

It's just something else to be dissected.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.