Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photo locations around Swindon?

snapbandit 10 2.2k 3 Northern Ireland
9 Jun 2012 4:37PM
I'll be flying over to the RIAT shortly with my son & staying just outside Swindon (Fri-Mon), I may have a spare day to tour about (picking up hire car from Bristol airport), any suggestions as to possible photo locations to visit (within say hour & half ish drive from Swindon), I've looked up a few on the NT web site etc. but you can't beat local knowledge for practical advice re: parking/crowds/photo potential etc. Preferebly scenic views (not too hilly or energetic walks/climbs as I'm just not up to it at the min, still recovering from reccent heart op) or transport/old buildings/museums etc.

Any advice will be useful in planning my long weekend.

Many thanks for any replies,

Joe B

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Collier 8 236 2 England
9 Jun 2012 6:21PM
There are many places of interest in and around Swindon, if you are looking for something for a rainy day there is the Steam Museum in Swindon next to the Outlet Shopping Centre.

The Ridgeway is just outside of the town and this has some notable places along it such as The Uffington White Horse and Wayland's Smithy .

Other local, attractions include the Buscot and Coleshill Estates , Coleshill is where the agents that were parachuted into France in WW II were trained.
9 Jun 2012 6:34PM
Many thanks Dave, Had thought of the steam museum (although hoping for not too much rain!!)

the other places look very interesting too,

Cheers,

Joe B
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2012 10:05PM
Do not forget Avebury stone circle, its @ 30 min away from Swindon
Glostopcat e2
8 235 2 England
10 Jun 2012 11:41PM
The Cotswold Water Park which is about half an hours drive from Swindon is worth a visit if you want to photograph landscapes, watersports or wildlife. Going further afield, Lacock Abbey, the Fox Talbot museum and Lacok village near Chippenham is worth a visit, as is the National Arboretum at Westonbirt near Tetbury, and the flight of locks at Caen Hill on the Kennet and Avon canal at Devizes.
Sezz e2
9 617 15 England
10 Jun 2012 11:44PM
As Ed has mentioned - Cotswold Water Park and definately Lacock Abbey and Castle Combe - I don't live in Swindon but my Dad does and I am often there visiting.
Dave B 12 113 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2012 7:41AM
If you are looking for small city meets grand architecture then Bath is just a 35 mile hop along the M4 back towards Bristol.

If you fancy going south then on the south side of Salisbury Plane you have the historical town of Shaftesbury (including Golden Hill AKA the Hovis advert) with Stonehenge & Old Wardour Castle near by plus Cranborne Chase (just a nice area to drive around with lots of ‘open country / rolling hills’ scenery from the side of the road).

Dave B.
11 Jun 2012 7:58AM
Cheers for the info everybody, plenty of choices (just hoping for good weather now! Smile

Was at Bath & Salisbury with the family last year while on holiday (my wife was born there & I lived near Andover as a child -- loooooooooong ago! ) so may take another drive down that direction.

Many thanks all for the replies.

Joe B

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.