Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo locations around Swindon?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2012 - 4:37 PM

I'll be flying over to the RIAT shortly with my son & staying just outside Swindon (Fri-Mon), I may have a spare day to tour about (picking up hire car from Bristol airport), any suggestions as to possible photo locations to visit (within say hour & half ish drive from Swindon), I've looked up a few on the NT web site etc. but you can't beat local knowledge for practical advice re: parking/crowds/photo potential etc. Preferebly scenic views (not too hilly or energetic walks/climbs as I'm just not up to it at the min, still recovering from reccent heart op) or transport/old buildings/museums etc.

Any advice will be useful in planning my long weekend.

Many thanks for any replies,

Joe B

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jun 2012 - 4:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Collier
    9 Jun 2012 - 6:21 PM

There are many places of interest in and around Swindon, if you are looking for something for a rainy day there is the Steam Museum in Swindon next to the Outlet Shopping Centre.

The Ridgeway is just outside of the town and this has some notable places along it such as The Uffington White Horse and Wayland's Smithy.

Other local, attractions include the Buscot and Coleshill Estates, Coleshill is where the agents that were parachuted into France in WW II were trained.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    snapbandit
    9 Jun 2012 - 6:34 PM

Many thanks Dave, Had thought of the steam museum (although hoping for not too much rain!!)

the other places look very interesting too,

Cheers,

Joe B

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2012 - 10:05 PM

Do not forget Avebury stone circle, its @ 30 min away from Swindon

Glostopcat
    Glostopcat e2 Member 8232 forum postsGlostopcat vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 11:41 PM

The Cotswold Water Park which is about half an hours drive from Swindon is worth a visit if you want to photograph landscapes, watersports or wildlife. Going further afield, Lacock Abbey, the Fox Talbot museum and Lacok village near Chippenham is worth a visit, as is the National Arboretum at Westonbirt near Tetbury, and the flight of locks at Caen Hill on the Kennet and Avon canal at Devizes.

Sezz
    Sezz e2 Member 9617 forum postsSezz vcard England15 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2012 - 11:44 PM

As Ed has mentioned - Cotswold Water Park and definately Lacock Abbey and Castle Combe - I don't live in Swindon but my Dad does and I am often there visiting.

Dave B
    Dave B  11113 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Jun 2012 - 7:41 AM

If you are looking for small city meets grand architecture then Bath is just a 35 mile hop along the M4 back towards Bristol.

If you fancy going south then on the south side of Salisbury Plane you have the historical town of Shaftesbury (including Golden Hill AKA the Hovis advert) with Stonehenge & Old Wardour Castle near by plus Cranborne Chase (just a nice area to drive around with lots of ‘open country / rolling hills’ scenery from the side of the road).

Dave B.

snapbandit
    11 Jun 2012 - 7:58 AM

Cheers for the info everybody, plenty of choices (just hoping for good weather now! Smile

Was at Bath & Salisbury with the family last year while on holiday (my wife was born there & I lived near Andover as a child -- loooooooooong ago! ) so may take another drive down that direction.

Many thanks all for the replies.

Joe B

Last Modified By snapbandit at 11 Jun 2012 - 7:59 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.