Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Advertisement

Photo Month Guide

Forums > Photo Month Forum > Photo Month Guide

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

nik111
nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6314 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 - 1:17 PM

Hello all,

To try and answer all the questions that have been raised, I've put a quick Q & A together. Feel free to add any questions you think I've missed and I'll answer them (adding them to the post).

What is Photo Month?
Photo Month is basically a useful section to gain knowledge about all kinds of photography techniques. It will hopefully inspire and encourage interactivity and also motivate those stuck for things to photograph.

It's a daily guide to help readers take better photos of the chosen subject. The forum then provides a place to show examples of this subject. You can go out and take the shot specifically (which is encouraged to help those who want to develop) or you can show off previous examples. Use it how you like.

Is it all about uploading images?
It doesn't have to be! We welcome topic suggestions, people's own techniques and feel free to give feedback about the images you see in the forums. You can get in touch through the PM system or via the Contact Us page.

Where can I find the techniques and articles?
A link is placed in the daily forum posts made and you can access Photo Month via the Inspiration drop down on the menu. There's also two tabs on the homepage: Techniques and Features where you can see recently added content. To view a specific article, just click on its title.

inspiration-menu.jpg

tabs.jpg

Who can upload images?
Any member who wants to join in can.

How many images can be uploaded?
We've not put a limit on the number of images that can be uploaded. Some upload one, others showcase a few shots they've taken.

How do I add images to the forum?
Take a look at this guide for instructions on how to do this: How To Upload Photos To ePz's Forums

Do the images have to be taken on the day?
Even though we encourage people to get out and about with their cameras we understand that life doesn't always allow you to post images on the day so are quite happy for you to add them to specific forums at a later date.

Do they have to be new images?
We are happy for you to dig-out old examples from your collection that will fit the themes too.

What are the themes?
The theme changes daily to coincide with the daily technique / feature that's posted on site. You will find a list of themes in the Photo Month forum all of which have dates next to them. The next day's theme is posted at midnight. All images need to be posted in the relevant forum posts.

Why is there a prize now?
We wanted a way to thank those who join in, plus encourage others to get involved.

Who can win?
Generally it is people with UK and Ireland address only. However, we do sometimes have prizes to give away that can be awarded to worldwide residents.

Where can I find out what prizes are up for grabs?
At the start of each month we will post a news item that announces what prizes we have to give away. There's also a weekly mention in our newsletter and generally a weekend reminder about our competitions is set live every weekend.

Are there any deadlines?
We pick a winner weekly so if you want to be in with a chance of winning a prize, you need your images to be in the forum before each week ends.

Who judges the competition?
It's something that's done in-house by the editorial team.

Where are the winners announced?
We create a news announcement and then contact the overall winner via PM.

Example: Nikon Coolpix P310 Camera Competition Winner

Last Modified By nik111 at 14 Feb 2013 - 1:22 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2013 - 1:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 1:40 PM

Thanks Nik, the questions have also just been added to the FAQ section in their own Photo Month category:
Photo Month FAQs

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 1:55 PM

When a guide was mentioned I interpreted it slightly differently.

I thought of a quick reference listing of all the daily themes / dates.
Perhaps Alphabetically with associated date(s) as hyperlinks .... I think some themes have been repeated

I assume that would take a lot of work going back to the beginning though, but may be worth considering starting with 2013 as a trial and updating at the end of each month.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 1:59 PM

Like a yearly index?

nik111
nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6314 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
14 Feb 2013 - 2:01 PM

Would it be very different to how the posts are put in the forum now though? Just trying to fully understand what you mean and also wondering what the benefits of it would be? Smile

Last Modified By nik111 at 14 Feb 2013 - 2:06 PM
Pete
14 Feb 2013 - 2:05 PM

With an alphabetical list you could quickly look to see if polarisers were covered under P, or snow under S...and that would link to what we have now. Or you could just skim down the list and find ones that attracted your attention. Not sure how you would do that currently without a fair bit of work.

JJGEE
14 Feb 2013 - 2:17 PM

Pete, yes that is what I had in mind, but as you say probably a great deal of work to implement Sad

Anyway, was just my thought on my interpretation of A Guide

Last Modified By JJGEE at 14 Feb 2013 - 2:18 PM
p12owe
p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 3:04 PM

Thanks... this answers a lot of questions I had.
It's great to have all this info in one place and I will definitely be giving it a go whenever work permits!

Pete
14 Feb 2013 - 3:09 PM

Quote: Not sure how you would do that currently without a fair bit of work.

Quote: but as you say probably a great deal of work to implement

Sorry you misunderstood. I'm not sure how you would use the current system to find snow without a fair bit of searching.
The alphabetic list would make it easier

JJGEE
14 Feb 2013 - 3:20 PM

Pete,
Sad I got a bit mixed up.

The alphabetic list IS what I was thinking of, but perhaps a bit time consuming / a lot of work for your technical wizards to set it up so that we, the members can just click on P to see if Polariser or say Pet Photography is there on the list

Last Modified By JJGEE at 14 Feb 2013 - 3:20 PM
Jestertheclown
14 Feb 2013 - 5:15 PM

I enter this (very) occasionally, just for the sake of it and I was unaware that there was any kind of prize to be had.

It won't affect the likelihood of my entering but just what is the prize?

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 14 Feb 2013 - 5:15 PM
Pete
14 Feb 2013 - 5:20 PM

It won't affect the likelihood of my entering but just what is the prize?
See questions in first post Smile

Quote: Where can I find out what prizes are up for grabs?
At the start of each month we will post a news item that announces what prizes we have to give away. There's also a weekly mention in our newsletter and generally a weekend reminder about our competitions is set live every weekend.

Last Modified By Pete at 14 Feb 2013 - 5:21 PM
Jestertheclown
14 Feb 2013 - 5:37 PM

Quote: See questions in first post Smile

Must pay more attention.

Pete
21 Feb 2013 - 5:21 PM

Just a quick thanks to Jeff JJGEE for his suggestion above. I've been busy getting RSI compiling a linked list of all the articles written in 2012 for Photo Month.
A huge collection of useful stuff for people of all levels. I've put it in month order for now. If anyone has a load of free time on their hands and fancies turning it into an A to Z let me know. If not I'll get around to it when I have some free time.

Photo Month 2012 - a year of photography techniques, tips, best ofs and interviews. If members find it useful I may go back and do 2011.

JJGEE
21 Feb 2013 - 10:05 PM

Pete

Quote: If anyone has a load of free time on their hands and fancies turning it into an A to Z let me know.

Took about 30 minutes.
Can provide it in Apple's Numbers format, Microsoft's Excel Format or Adobe's pdf Smile

let me know which one you want and how to send it to you.

Jeff

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.