Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo sticks to glass in frame

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    greatdog
    greatdog  6 England
    28 Dec 2010 - 4:07 PM

When i put a gloss 6x4 photo printed from an online company in a glass photo frame sometimes i get a mark on the glass like the paper is not dry,i have tried many methods to make sure the glass is clean and dry but to no effect,what is this caused by and is it curable?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Dec 2010 - 4:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Dec 2010 - 4:17 PM

Always best with any print to make sure it doesn't touch the glass. Usually by having a mount. You can either buy these or buy a mount cutter & make your own.

Adrian_Reynolds
    28 Dec 2010 - 4:26 PM

Hi, I was told by a photo framer its caused by the paper expanding as it gets warmer and/or by being taped into the mount to wrongly. He said he used as little tape as possible allowing the photo to expand outwards and not bulge and stick to the glass, I always follow these steps and it seems to work for me,
    Adrian
    (also found with better quality paper when home printing, it doesn't tend to do it)

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82345 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Dec 2010 - 6:26 PM

I always print on matt paper when the image is intended to go behind glass. The image may seem to miss some of the spark of gloss prints when seen at first, but they really come to life when put behind glass. The main advantage is that the image surface does not reflect - you can occasionally find that with gloss prints you get a lot of light bouncing between the print and the glass. whipspeed gives sound advice re: mounting the image - although its not clear from your post whether you've done this or not. If so Adrains advice about allowing your print to 'breathe' is a good one. I have always found the smooth surface of gloss prints encourages them to stick more - once they've stuck you end up with marks - its a similar principle to finger prints in that you get this with gloss, but not with matt papers.

So to sum up: if its going behind glass use matt prints; ensure you mount them; and when fixing the print to the mount don't stick down all the edges, but allow the print some room to breathe.

HTH's

Adam

keith selmes
    28 Dec 2010 - 6:43 PM

Sounds like it does need mounting, if its mounted properly I don't know how that problem would occur.

If that is the case, this link with how to pictures might help, http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_mounting.html

And a sample ephotozine thread http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/how-do-you-mount-your-prints---22262

rainbowsmyyarn
    29 Dec 2010 - 10:07 AM

Hi Greatdog being a picture framer now for over 25 years I can tell you firstly these golden rules.
    1/ Never put a photo directly behind glass, as this can ( not always )cause future issues with the photo sticking to the glass through humidity, thus ruining the photo, as it will eventually stick to the glass and be unremovable from it with out tearing it off.
    2/Always place the photo behind a acid free mount as this will eliminate it contacting the glass in future.
    3/ For photos placed behind a mount you can always stick it down first to prevent it going wavy in the future.
    The only photos I would never stick down are those that are of monitory value like Signed Limited Edition prints, unless the customer specifically requested it.
    Hope this info helps you and others reading this post in the future.Smile

StevenJLewis
    5 Feb 2011 - 12:39 PM

If you don't want to use a mount, I thought there was spray on the market you can use ?

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2011 - 12:55 PM

Quote: If you don't want to use a mount, I thought there was spray on the market you can use ?

No idea about the spray, but all you would need to do is use some spacers to separate the pic from the glass. last time I did this some thin strips of mountboard did the job fine.

miptog
    miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2011 - 1:58 PM

Its prudent to let any print dry out properly before placing it in a frame. This may take several days for a print to properly dry.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.