Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photo Storage

24 Mar 2013 12:57PM
What's the best means of image storage please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2013 1:09PM
Cloud storage is best but obviously you have to pay for the space, The next is Hard disk drives, running two in parallel as a back up. preferably external drives. Anything other than this is not recommended long term.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
24 Mar 2013 1:20PM
I use a couple of external hard drives. I also back up onto DVD.

I've recently looked at Cd's/DVD's that I burnt in 2003/4 and they are as the day I burnt them.

Ken

Quote:Cloud storage is best but obviously you have to pay for the space, The next is Hard disk drives, running two in parallel as a back up. preferably external drives. Anything other than this is not recommended long term.

Thanks Kev,
I have backed up some to dvd disc and recently started using 'know how' cloud drive, however at first considered external hard drives but was swayed away with reports of discs failing after 2 years so now looking at SSD, any phot library or phot houses out there?
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
24 Mar 2013 1:45PM

Quote:Cloud storage is best but obviously you have to pay for the space, The next is Hard disk drives, running two in parallel as a back up. preferably external drives. Anything other than this is not recommended long term.

Personally I wouldn't hand my data over to some Internet company so that they can then effectively rent it back to me. And what if the company goes bust? Or gets taken over? Or suddenly hikes its prices?

I run a 1Tb external drive for my main archive which is then backed up onto low capacity USB drives (120 and 250 Gb). Once 64Gb USB sticks come down in price, I'll switch to those. Backing up to a number of smaller drives limits your exposure if one does go t!ts-up. And solid-state drives are likely to be a lot more reliable due to the absence of moving parts.

Forget CD-ROMs or even DVDs as the capacity is too low to store a reasonable number of files (given the filesizes generated by modern cameras) and there are serious questions about their longevity.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
24 Mar 2013 1:47PM
A point worth mentioning is the discs in external hard drives work the same was a the one built into a computer and as such they are all prone to failure.

I've got an external hard drive that I purchased in January 2007 and its still running well.

It has been suggested that you keep at least three sets of images that you treasure in separate places/drives/storage etc.

Ken
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
24 Mar 2013 2:00PM
The new USB3 external drives are excellent for storing data are very fast assuming your computer can handle USB3 and you won't have to wait an age to upload/download data, something to bear in mind if you have a slowish broadband connection as I do living out in the sticks somewhat.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 Mar 2013 6:31PM
Nothing wrong with hard drives, No idea where you heard the 2 year thing from, But that is not particularly reliable advise, Actually it is less reliable than hard drives....LOL..Grin

Most of the methods have already been mentioned, Like Jools, Kev, Ken with a smattering of Ade's USB 3 addition, The duplicate external hard drive option is probably the all round best, HDD's are so cheap nowadays, Just sort a couple of 1Tb drives from decent brands, Go mad and use a 2 bay external hub or a NAS unit, Whatever floats yer boat....Smile

So bottom line you end up with 2 copies of everything on the externals, Plus 1 copy on your system drive.....Grin

Simple as that really....Wink And non of that cloud nonsense....!!!
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2013 6:47PM

Quote: considered external hard drives but was swayed away with reports of discs failing after 2 years

No idea about the 2 year thing, But it is best to assume that every drive will file at any time, that is why you really need copies of your backup copies.
I always like to stick to the 3-2-1 rule:
3 copies of the data
2 on-site
1 off-site (in the cloud)

Quote:Personally I wouldn't hand my data over to some Internet company so that they can then effectively rent it back to me. And what if the company goes bust? Or gets taken over? Or suddenly hikes its prices?

Then you ditch it & go to another company, it is only an extra backup.
Backblaze costs me less than a drive would for unlimited storage and extra piece of mind.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.