Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo trip to Iceland - looking for advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
12 Sep 2012 - 11:32 AM

I was thinking about a short trip to Iceland some time from November.... The fly/drive holidays I have looked at seem to be very expensive, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.
Would it be cheaper to book flights / car / accommodation separately ?
Would a circular route be advisable (say for 4-5 days) or use a single location as a base ?
What's the best time of year to visit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Sep 2012 - 11:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
12 Sep 2012 - 11:41 AM

BlueLagoon highly recommended.
Whale watching.
Northern lights. - There's lots of photo opportunities and a lot of it is volcanic so varied landscape.

There are a lot of brochures when you arrive.
It's getting colder now - the other day was the first snow of the year.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43912 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 12:16 PM

Bri - here's a 5 day route used by the Norwegian camera forum starting from Reykjavik and travelling along the nw coast. REd day 1 blue including ferry day 2yellow/white day 3...in other words travelling clockwise.
This is supposed to be the most photogenic part of Iceland.
HTH

40086-468x800.jpg

Daffy1
Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
12 Sep 2012 - 12:30 PM

Lucky you I went to Iceland a few years ago , very expensive+++ but worth every euro !! Landscapes +++ Waterfalls etc . There is someone on this site (can't remember who) has lot of brilliant photographs from Iceland and I think he runs photographic tours. ENJOY Grin. A very jealous Damian

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 12:52 PM

Make sure you go to Gullfoss Bri...

gullfoss.jpg

I was on an organised trip and didn't spend enough time here. One place I'd certainly head for again...with a tripod!

Les_G
Les_G  7148 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 12:56 PM

deeply envious, its a great Country. one problem you may find in November is that many roads close - especially internal routes. I would think about heading along the South coast, good mix of landscaes, waterfalls and Icebergs.
I would also cost up the various elements of the trip seperately, I have found this cheaper in the past. Watch the insurance on the car hire - they tend to be very restrictive.
Hope you will share the images when you return Grin

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53623 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hugeknot used to be on this site - he wrote this article http://www.ephotozine.com/photolocations/iceland--travelling-around--536.

I've been as a electronics comms engineer, but before i had a camera :-( Amazing place.
You drive on the right and have to keep your lights on even in the day - they are wired on in hire cars.
Blue lagoon smells but is an amazing swimming experience - you feel like a boiled vegetable.

I still loosely know this guy Georg over there http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgaspelund if you want me to forward your contact details?

Enjoy - Obviously!

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 1:17 PM

Bri there's a lady called Cath Evans who is doing regular Iceland Photo trips, she's from Brixworth in Northamptonshire.
Cath Evans

jk

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 1:50 PM

If I was driving round I'd want to play music with a Icelandic feel, but not too traditional! - and for this we have superb albums from the likes of Jonsi, Mum and Sigur Ros not forgetting Iceland's queen's, Bjork!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139436 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 2:03 PM

Or music by Sveinbjörnsson who, amongst other works, composed the Icelandic National Anthem.

User_Removed
12 Sep 2012 - 2:27 PM

I am going back there at the end of this month - but just for 4 days unfortunately. November may be a bit late if you want to get off the main "ring" road.

As you have noted, it is very expensive. Expect food and drink to be four times normal UK prices (or double London prices). Car hire and fuel is also worse than here. Unless it has come down recently, VAT is 24%

Packages tend to be best. Air fares, hotels and car hire separately will almost certainly cost more.

If it is your first time, you will be surprised (pleasantly) by a number of things. The fish and lamb are superb. The people are well educated and friendly. The environment is probably the least polluted in any developed country. You get used to the odour of sulphur very quickly. The folk speak better English than they do in many parts of England. There is a real "café culture" in Reykjavik. The flight is very short (only 1 hour and a wee bit from Glasgow). And, of course, contrary to common misconception, it is not in the Arctic and benefits, like Scotland, from the influence of the Gulf Stream - so temperatures much more moderate than other places of similar latitude.

Have a great time.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Sep 2012 - 2:49 PM
User_Removed
12 Sep 2012 - 2:31 PM

,,,sorry, should add - if you are booking a package DO NOT use a "photo tour" one. It will be much more expensive than a normal Icelandair one booked through a site like Lastminute.com or Bookings.com

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43912 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
12 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM

Suggestions to B&B / Hotel along the route I posted.

http://www.langaholt.is/Langaholt/EN/Index.aspx
http://breidavik.is/
http://www.gistihus.is/
http://www.djupavik.com/
http://www.hotelfron.is/

Last Modified By saltireblue at 12 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315583 forum posts England
12 Sep 2012 - 6:14 PM

Awesome amount of information, many thanks. I was thinking of November as I will be leaving my job in October so need something to do..... but might wait until the spring. Still very early in the planning.

Thanks again, and please, keep adding anything useful.

Cheers

(Oh, and Pete, I won my first slideshow at the camera club with a show that used Hoppípolla as the background music) Smile

igeraldine
13 Sep 2012 - 1:54 PM

Spring is a great time to visit Iceland.

Roads into the interior often don't open til July. Now they already they are closed

http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/road-conditions-and-weather/the-entire-country/...

In winter the far NW always has a lot of snow and was abandonded because of this but great place to go in the Summer. Small clarification on the seasons here. The first day of Summer is at the end of April but this is a bit like the UK winter on a good day! the mountains will still be snow covered. We carry on running 'Winter' trips til the beginning of May. The South coast of Iceland is always accessible and between mid Feb and the end of April the daylight hours are long enough to get in lots of photography with a great chance of seeing the northern lights too. May/June is superb for bird photography and in June visitors will see to the remarkable fields of purple/blue Lupina.

Car hire does not have to be expensive, and prices everywhere including accommodation are cheaper off season, this usually means Oct to end April. Here are some links:

We use this company

Slightly older cars for rent

Camping Vans for Rent

The hostels in Iceland are often as good a standard as some of the hotels and rooms can be booked ahead online, even private rooms with en suite facilities.

Make sure you bring a wide angle zoom as the landscapes are BIG!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.