Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photo trip to Iceland - looking for advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315546 forum posts England
13 Sep 2012 - 4:21 PM

brilliant, thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Sep 2012 - 4:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 3:27 PM

Quote:

Car hire does not have to be expensive, and prices everywhere including accommodation are cheaper off season, this usually means Oct to end April. Here are some links:

We use this company (link)

Slightly older cars for rent (link)

Sadcars is, indeed, the cheapest I can find in Iceland, Geraldine, but the prices for their 10-year old cars are more than 3x the price of similar sized new cars in USA.

It's all the fantastic things about Iceland that make the expense worthwhile.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Sep 2012 - 3:28 PM
igeraldine
14 Sep 2012 - 3:42 PM

Yes I know it's a pain! If you are wanting to hire off season it's always worth phoning the company direct and asking for a discount, I've done this before now with some success...and yes I agree that the fantastic bits of Iceland sometimes outweigh the expense, but I still believe that car hire prices in Iceland are way too high!

hobbs
hobbs e2 Member 101222 forum postshobbs vcard United Kingdom
14 Sep 2012 - 3:54 PM

Just be careful with the security guards as they don't like people taking photographs in the shop. Wink

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 7:06 PM

Quote: Just be careful with the security guards as they don't like people taking photographs in the shop. Wink

It's OK if you keep your camera batteries in your pocket to keep them warm.

It reminds me of the (very) old joke with the punchline, "It's far worse than that, Father. We are not only barred from the Kingdom of Heaven; we are also barred from Iceland!"

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315546 forum posts England
14 Sep 2012 - 7:22 PM

oh gawd, that was awful !! Smile

User_Removed
11 Oct 2012 - 9:54 AM

Quote:
Car hire does not have to be expensive, and prices everywhere including accommodation are cheaper off season, this usually means Oct to end April.

Well, Geraldine, I followed your recommendation for SADcars - which was still bloody expensive - and what they gave me was a geriatric Subaru Legacy with about 268,000 Km on the clock, a very fierce clutch and a fourth gear that continuously jumped out. At least the tyres were OK and the brakes worked! Such fun. I should have known. When I arrived at their depot to pick the car up, there was a Post-it note on the door saying that the wee lassie would be back in 10 minutes. When she did arrive, she apologised that the car I was getting was blocked in by another car with a flat battery and would I mind waiting some more while she used the battery from the Subaru to start the one blocking it!

Apart from that, the trip was wonderful.

vik-church-2.jpg

aurora2-2.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Oct 2012 - 9:58 AM
igeraldine
11 Oct 2012 - 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience with SAD cars! Hope this did not spoil your enjoyment of Iceland too much? Looks like you had a good show of the lights as on your photo they were even visible through the clouds? It's always a pain when we get an 'extreme' forecast and clouds. For general interest here is a great weather forecast site for Iceland
http://www.yr.no/

and here is where we get our aurora forecast from:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/3

G

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 12:17 PM

Quote: experience with SAD cars

Maybe the warning was in the name? Wink

Anyway looks like a good trip was had.

igeraldine
11 Oct 2012 - 12:37 PM

Re SAD the owners told me that the name was their initials!!
Anyway here's a pic of the aurora a couple of nights ago, a race against the clouds which are visible coming in, this was the show that was seen in the UK,

1-aurora-jok-.jpg

User_Removed
11 Oct 2012 - 5:30 PM

Quote: Re SAD the owners told me that the name was their initials!!

That's what they told me too.

No - it didn't spoil the trip.

The Aurora was not really very strong that night and was further weakened by the fullish moon. Certainly the camera saw far more of it that the naked eye could pick up and it is amazing how the clarity control in Lightroom 4.2 can enhance it even farther. We had a great show here in Scotland on Monday night but, at our latitude, it just tends to hug the northern horizon rather than filling half the sky the way it does in Iceland.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Oct 2012 - 5:32 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.