Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photo trip to Iceland - looking for advice

Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 4:21PM
brilliant, thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
14 Sep 2012 3:27PM

Quote:

Car hire does not have to be expensive, and prices everywhere including accommodation are cheaper off season, this usually means Oct to end April. Here are some links:

We use this company (link)

Slightly older cars for rent (link)

Sadcars is, indeed, the cheapest I can find in Iceland, Geraldine, but the prices for their 10-year old cars are more than 3x the price of similar sized new cars in USA.

It's all the fantastic things about Iceland that make the expense worthwhile.

14 Sep 2012 3:42PM
Yes I know it's a pain! If you are wanting to hire off season it's always worth phoning the company direct and asking for a discount, I've done this before now with some success...and yes I agree that the fantastic bits of Iceland sometimes outweigh the expense, but I still believe that car hire prices in Iceland are way too high!
hobbs e2
10 1.2k United Kingdom
14 Sep 2012 3:54PM
Just be careful with the security guards as they don't like people taking photographs in the shop. Wink
14 Sep 2012 7:06PM

Quote:Just be careful with the security guards as they don't like people taking photographs in the shop. Wink

It's OK if you keep your camera batteries in your pocket to keep them warm.

It reminds me of the (very) old joke with the punchline, "It's far worse than that, Father. We are not only barred from the Kingdom of Heaven; we are also barred from Iceland!"
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
14 Sep 2012 7:22PM
oh gawd, that was awful !! Smile
11 Oct 2012 9:54AM

Quote:
Car hire does not have to be expensive, and prices everywhere including accommodation are cheaper off season, this usually means Oct to end April.

Well, Geraldine, I followed your recommendation for SADcars - which was still bloody expensive - and what they gave me was a geriatric Subaru Legacy with about 268,000 Km on the clock, a very fierce clutch and a fourth gear that continuously jumped out. At least the tyres were OK and the brakes worked! Such fun. I should have known. When I arrived at their depot to pick the car up, there was a Post-it note on the door saying that the wee lassie would be back in 10 minutes. When she did arrive, she apologised that the car I was getting was blocked in by another car with a flat battery and would I mind waiting some more while she used the battery from the Subaru to start the one blocking it!

Apart from that, the trip was wonderful.

vik-church-2.jpg

aurora2-2.jpg

11 Oct 2012 11:57AM
Sorry to hear about your experience with SAD cars! Hope this did not spoil your enjoyment of Iceland too much? Looks like you had a good show of the lights as on your photo they were even visible through the clouds? It's always a pain when we get an 'extreme' forecast and clouds. For general interest here is a great weather forecast site for Iceland
http://www.yr.no/

and here is where we get our aurora forecast from:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/3

G
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Oct 2012 12:17PM

Quote:experience with SAD cars

Maybe the warning was in the name? Wink

Anyway looks like a good trip was had.
11 Oct 2012 12:37PM
Re SAD the owners told me that the name was their initials!!
Anyway here's a pic of the aurora a couple of nights ago, a race against the clouds which are visible coming in, this was the show that was seen in the UK,

1-aurora-jok-.jpg

11 Oct 2012 5:30PM

Quote:Re SAD the owners told me that the name was their initials!!

That's what they told me too.

No - it didn't spoil the trip.

The Aurora was not really very strong that night and was further weakened by the fullish moon. Certainly the camera saw far more of it that the naked eye could pick up and it is amazing how the clarity control in Lightroom 4.2 can enhance it even farther. We had a great show here in Scotland on Monday night but, at our latitude, it just tends to hug the northern horizon rather than filling half the sky the way it does in Iceland.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.