Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photograph banding

Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 8:53AM
Hi there i am having a problem at the moment with banding from the sky in my images. I am not sure what is causing it i have a nikon d300s and a sigma 10 - 20 mm in use most of the time.
On sunday i tried to process a picture from st marys light house that had been taken with a lee filters big stopper it seemed dark on the edges but was good where the most light was but when i tried to get rid of the dark edges i got banding not sure what i am doing wrong here,.
Also i whent out last night into newcastle it was cloudless skys and took a few on different white balances when i tried to change in camera raw i am getting banding again without anyother adjustment,.
Is this becasue i am using 14 bit in my camera instead of 12 bit or could it be a fault with my camera i am not sure what i am doing wrong for this to happen, if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be really good.
Thankyou andrew.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 9:00AM
-amw3365.jpg

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 9:07AM
This could be light drop off which is something from which a lot of lenses suffer. If you are using Lightroom you could try the lens correction tool, which is pretty good at resolving it.

Mind you on the shot above it could easily be just because there is less light pollution in the top left. Do you see the dark edges on all shots?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
31 Jan 2013 9:12AM
Banding in the sky or any gradient (especially false) can easily be caused by a poor monitor or monitor profile, or aggressive calibration.
Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 9:13AM
Hi ian if i am using the big stopper yes but this must happen with everyone as you cant see through the filter and the brighter parts of the sky are always going to be brighter and darks are always going to be darker. But this shot doesnt have any filters on as i managed to get it all in the histogram it is just when i try to open up the sky to lighten it starts banding, but if i sharpen it starts to remove the banding but not totally.
Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 9:16AM
Hi glenn i have a dell 2408wfp monitor and use a colormunki desgin to profile every two weeks.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 9:17AM
I'm only on my work monitor at the moment, but it is normally pretty good and I have to admit I can't see banding in the photo above, just a fade from dark to light.
Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 9:22AM
I have everything calibrated. monitor, printer, and photoshop cs6 i use prophoto rgb colour space in photoshop. But in camera it is set a adobe rgb does this make any difference?
Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 9:26AM
My monitor profile is 120 luminance level and my target white point is D65.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
31 Jan 2013 9:27AM
It takes a fairly high-end monitor to eliminate banding altogether, but most of us don't notice it a lot of the time because photographic subjects more often than not don't contain perfectly formed gradients. When you calibrate a monitor you effectively forfeit some of its bit-depth, which is why selecting 'native' settings and taking a minimalist approach during calibration is often a good ideaŚmore so at consumer level (it's also why high-bit LUTs in mid-level monitors are quite an attractive feature).

You can get an idea of how your monitor behaves in this respect by trying something like the Lagom gradient test . In my case I can see how spending extra money might help, but your Dell is probably in better shape than mine. Ideally you should do the test outside of a colour-managed app (Opera or IE would do), otherwise the profile interferes with the resultŚcalibration and profiling being two separate actions which nonetheless interact.
Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 9:33AM
Also my monitor is set at 32 bit not 16 bit
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
31 Jan 2013 9:57AM

Quote:Also my monitor is set at 32 bit not 16 bit

I think you're talking about OS colour there, Andy, with 32-bit probably equating to 8-bit anyway (it gets complicated). In fact your monitor has an 8-bit panel and you calibrate it through the video card. That effectively means that when you adjust white point and gamma you lose significant bit-depth, and in a wide-gamut monitor bit-depth is worth clinging on to. If your software allows it, you could try applying 'native' white point and gamma.

Your monitor seems to have some history of banding, which might not be easy to address, but gentle calibration will help (the luminance target has no bearing on this because it's not a digital adjustment - 120-140cd/m▓ should be fine).
Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 10:07AM
Hi glenn i did a measurement of the ambient light level it is 10.73 lux and the color munki says it will set to 80.00 cd/m2 is this correct or do i need to set it higher. Its quite a dark room in the dinning room.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 10:30AM
Andy try resetting your monitor to factory defaults and turn off calibration just to see what happens with the banding.
Andy1979 e2
8 754 2 England
31 Jan 2013 10:35AM
Tried that chris still seems to be there!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.