Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographer of the year announced !

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Geoffphoto
21 Mar 2012 - 2:40 PM

Interesting !

BIPP announce Photographer of the year

winning pic

I really like some of the portraits and landscapes, any comments anybody ????

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 21 Mar 2012 - 2:41 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Mar 2012 - 2:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
21 Mar 2012 - 3:12 PM

I like the landscapes as well. Glad to see deep dark shadows in a mountain scene for the bronze award.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 - 3:56 PM

Quote: any comments anybody ????

....shoot...missed it again.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2012 - 4:50 PM

Quote: any comments anybody ????

Perhaps they should take a look thru EPZ'eds award galleries from time to time, a lot of the shots on here are equal too, if not better than some of the judged finalists of the BIPP IMHO.

Ade

rontear
rontear e2 Member 11rontear vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2012 - 4:51 PM

Very interesting competition with stunning images, Peter Lik the winner in Landscape IA have seen his work in America. Stunning.
As a photographic judge myself I recently judged the RPS Visual Arts and gave my medal to the 2nd placed Fine Art image here. " Grown Up Girl " I thought was a beautiful combination of suggestive glamour and childhood past. Excellent.
Ron.

User_Removed
21 Mar 2012 - 5:02 PM

Not in any way detracting from the quality of some of the photographs.....

....but aren't there far too many "Photographer of the Year" awards for the title to be pretty meaningless? It seems that just about every magazine, website, association or society confers the title upon someone.

Ade_Osman
21 Mar 2012 - 5:07 PM

Now I agree with you on that, perhaps we could have an EPZ POTW award.....Could be interesting. Seriously though, having come across the BIPP on several occasions before, their POTW does seem to have a lot of kudos among pro togs and rightly so. On the other hand, some might say it's a little elitist, now that should open up a can of worms Wink

Ade

lemmy
lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 - 5:10 PM

Quote: a lot of the shots on here are equal too, if not better than some of the judged finalists of the BIPP IMHO

You have to enter don't you? Or do BJP trawl around photo sites looking for pictures?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54168 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2012 - 6:10 PM

What fantastic photos. My personal fave amongst the lot would be this one. Camille

Ade_Osman
21 Mar 2012 - 6:22 PM

I was under the impression the British Institute of Professional Photographers was a closed shop members only thing.....I could be wrong? Not that I have an axe to grind with them, because I don't, all I was merely saying was that whilst the Institute has a lot of kudos (not a bad thing) there are photographers just as good here........You only have to look at the award galleries to see that.

Ade

MrDennis
MrDennis  5226 forum posts Wales
21 Mar 2012 - 6:30 PM

As Ade says..I have also seen far better in ephotozine. JMHO
Nothing wrong with what has been chosen but again, far better on Flickr as well as in here.,

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2012 - 6:43 PM

heavily processed stuff!

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43557 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2012 - 6:45 PM

Quote: Not in any way detracting from the quality of some of the photographs.....

....but aren't there far too many "Photographer of the Year" awards for the title to be pretty meaningless? It seems that just about every magazine, website, association or society confers the title upon someone.

A bit like belts in professional boxing...

Last Modified By saltireblue at 21 Mar 2012 - 6:46 PM
guidoa
guidoa  121319 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 - 6:48 PM

Worth looking at are the Sony Awards, I have only seen the 13 pics in the Guardian and they appear brilliant to me, but none are by UK photographers

lemmy
lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 - 6:59 PM

Quote: As Ade says..I have also seen far better in ephotozine. JMHO
Nothing wrong with what has been chosen but again, far better on Flickr as well as in here.,

All I meant was that they can only judge from what is entered so what exists elsewhere is a bit beside the point.Unless they do look around for pictures themselves?

'Photographer of the Year' is pompous - BIP's Photographer of the Year would be more apt if they only judge from their members' entries. Trawling for pix would make more interesting competition, though it would take a lot of resources.

Personally, I find it hard to see photography as a competitive thing. But then I never understood music competitions either. As with photography, how do you compare and compete something that is essentially an art work and thus a matter of taste and opinion? I think I am in a minority in this Wink

Marcel Duchamp commented on that with his urinal in an art gallery. It's a urinal. Except that if it is in an art gallery it must be art. Or else it wouldn't be in an art gallery.

In the end, it's just a bit of fun. But having judged a few competitions, I can vouch for the the fact it is often a very serious business for the competitors.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.