Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographer wanted: product photography on pure white background

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    CatLover
    CatLover Junior Member 1 United Kingdom
    29 Sep 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hi are there any product photographers here that know how to take a photo of product on pure white background?
    This has to be achieved using either continuous lighting without a light box or in a light box or by blowing out the background with flash lighting.

The pure white should NOT be done by masking and cutting out the object in photoshop afterwards.

It is for earrings I hand make.

Im in Wimbledon, if anyone can teach me, please get in touch. I will pay you. Grin

Thanks!
    Angela

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Sep 2012 - 12:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3789 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2012 - 3:10 PM

I'm no expert so can't advise you directly.......but I can point you towards dozens of photo tutorials to be found on YouTube, many jewel leery specific.

I HVE just watched a couple and the favourite system is to hang them from extremely fine fishing or filament thread in front of a white card lit to be completely shadowless.

The other method was to hang or fix them to a clear sheet of plexiglass then shoot through that against a white background.

Have Fun

HOBBO

CDSINUK
    CDSINUK  2223 forum posts England
    29 Sep 2012 - 3:29 PM

you might laugh but this might just do you ? its not a lot of outlay and cheaper than hiring someone, and for small things like earings it may be perfect, and theres plenty of tutorials on various websites Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Studio-including-Lights-Tripod/dp/B00140RTJU/re...

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 29 Sep 2012 - 3:32 PM
    goexplorephotography

Quote: You might laugh but this might just do you ? its not a lot of outlay and cheaper than hiring someone, and for small things like earings it may be perfect, and theres plenty of tutorials on various websites Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Studio-including-Lights-Tripod/dp/B00140RTJU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348928894&sr=8-3

This is a perfect solution for small items. Once you have the kit setup. You need to set the camera in Aperture priority at f8. half press the shutter and take note of the stutter speed. Then set the camera to manual mode. set an aperture of f8 and the shutter speed to previously noted.
    If your shutter speed is below 1/125 second. increase the iso until it comes to at least 1/125 sec. (dont worry about high iso noise if your using the images for website)

Take a test shot and see if it looks the way you want it. if not. You can then adjust the aperture until you get the exact exposure you want. open the aperture to make it whiter or reduce the aperture to make it darker,
    simples.

you could use spot metering but this is a really simple method.

llareggub
    llareggub  4677 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Sep 2012 - 5:39 PM

Light tents are simple to use and are great for product photography but the lighting has a tendancy to be flat and that tends not to show "shiney jewellery off at its best as you do not get the specualar highlights apparently Smile

Misty56
    Misty56  6 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2012 - 5:44 PM

I take photos of Jewelry, what I use is a light tent two studio lights, my lens is a 18-250, or macro lens, depends on the length of the item or how close you need to be
    I have the photos I have taken on my web site, feel free to look ask any questions you want to know
    http://elegentphotographer.co.uk/

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96030 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2012 - 6:00 PM

Here's a very useful site for hints and tips on product photography - Tabletop Studio

lemmy
    lemmy  71807 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Sep 2012 - 7:07 PM

Hi Angela - I live in New Malden and I'd be happy yo show you how to do the product shots as you mention. I wouldn't want any payment, though, happy to pass on knowledge.

It's mainly to do with separating the foreground from the background for lighting purposes. I'm in France until the 12th or 13th of October but anytime after that would be fine.

My brother required a similar thing for his business making TV equipment so I showed him how to make a simple setup that would do the trick.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.