Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Photographers Bad Press

Mike_Smith e2
7 204 1 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2011 8:50PM
I like to photograph wildlife birds mainly, and i often look on the website of my local bird club for the county. Mainly because i can see what birds have been reported seen in a particular place, helps when you know what is where.
But on my local bird club website i read things in the forums which on a regular basis there is always somebody slating photographers for getting to close or disturbing birds all written by twitchers who dont like us but surely its a minority that disturb birds etc.
They cant tar us all with the same brush, but by my reading it seems they do. Has anyone else seen out like this?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
9 Apr 2011 8:56PM
As long as you personally aren't responsible for disturbing the birds I wouldn't worry about it.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Apr 2011 4:09PM
Actually, the BTO have published somewhere recently a disturbance study (I think it might have been limited to coastal sites) showing that, after dog walkers and bait diggers, the most disturbance to bird life came from birdwatchers.

Photographers, like wildfowlers, are careful not to disturb the birds because a successful "shot", whether with a shotgun or a camera, depends upon getting into range without scaring the "quarry". Twitchers, with their mega-scopes and huge binoculars have no such constraints or need for a similar level of fieldcraft.

I'll have a search for a reference to that study.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.