Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographers Complaints

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 3:07 PM

Having only yesterday injured myself ( quite alarmingly so) in the pursuit of yet another possible Photographic stunner,
I sat in Accident and Emergency pondering on all my photographic related injuries, and decided their is a whole branch of medicine that is ignoring us.
Why should "Sports" have its own medical interest, we togs suffer a lot in pursuit of our quest.
I hear by introduce you all to the opportunity to add your personal injury stories so that one day a passing medically inclined person might read them and maybe do further research in to our noble suffering.
( or at the very least, stop agreeing with me at casualty that "Yes that was a bit stupid, and you say it was for a photo...)

I have in the course of my dedication to providing the internet with photographic joy ( some say the joy bit is in doubt, but in my defense I persevere)
aquired-
Photographers Knee/ Bigamists Knee:
Caused by years of getting down on one knee in damp muddy conditions to get a low angled shot,
symptoms include sharp pain just behind knee cap on rising, and the uncontrollable need to make a grimace.
Relived by reviewing shots, though curiously the suffer will undertake the very same action again.

Pod Hands:
Caused by hanging the strap of a mono pod on the delicate bones of the wrist for hours whilst taking only high rise shots and not having the ( wit) opportunity to take the wrist strap off and grip the mono pod between the knees.

Pod Bites:
bruise like marks commonly seen on the shins, caused by the extending leg or legs of a tripod being rapidly opened whilst looking only at the scene and not the tripod, can also occur in the home through falling over a tripod though certain other injuries will also be present, recognizable
in the sufferer by loud expletives.

Photographers Whistle:
Hissing sound Photographer make to relive pain but not break concentration when injured but still continuing to take the shot,
it is advisable to not interrupt this process until the photographer has lowered the camera, the sound should be considered a "Warning" not to interrupt the photographer with suggestions of seeking medical treatment, or screams of "OMG you are bleeding" until all cameras have been lowered.
Their may be some evidence to suggest the "Whistling sound" has pain reliving quality's that are culturally based.

Image psychosis and delusion:
A psychological problem that afflicts many injured photographers and creates the delusional belief that a photograph of the aforementioned injuries is worth taking as evidence of commitment to photography: at present their is no effective solution to this, and it remains untreatable.

I'm certain their are many, many more as yet undocumented Photographic related medical/ psychological, injuries that we brave Togs suffer uniquely,
So if you have one, don't be shy, list it here..... Grin

( for those that are interested- I stabbed myself in the eye with a home made eye dropper yesterday, and their was blood!! so I had to go to our local A&E who were very kind, if some what bemused as to "Why would someone do that" you guys understand though? right? Grin )

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Feb 2013 - 3:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 3:13 PM

Clavicle slipicus:
Caused by carrying heavy camera bag over one shoulder

JJGEE
JJGEE  96342 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 3:32 PM

Depression.
Not really, so do not worry.

Just sometimes you feel a bit fed up when you cannot get motivated to get off your backside and actually go out with the camera.

But of course the other side of the coin is there are good days when you wish the day lasted forever ! !

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 3:38 PM

Quote: Clavicle slipicus:
Caused by carrying heavy camera bag over one shoulder

Sounds related too my "Knackedus Backus" from the same source but aggravated by bending down with said bag on my back to grab a quick macro shot of a "Bug in a Bush" Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 3:42 PM

Trench Foot:
Inflicted on all those landscape photographers who continually get wet feet trying to get the ultimate seascape or waterfall photos

paulcookphotography

Severe ulnar nerve entrapment

Actually the injury was initially from a basal skull fracture some years ago that had somehow damaged the nerve. This, combined with holding a camera to my face for x amount of years led to the nerve being trapped. Basically one day i reached out to open a door and suddenly my hand went into a cramp and i ended up losing (almost total) sensation in half my right hand and half way to my elbow for a few months. Part of the treatment meant i had to wear a full arm splint for months meaning my arm was straight and could not be bent 24/7. Not fun!

This was just after recovering from a broken ankle (pinned), wrist and damaged knee from a mountain biking accident!

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 15 Feb 2013 - 4:07 PM
cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96097 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 3:51 PM

This leads me to ponder a question that I've asked myself several times over the years - do we actually have any fully fit healthy members here? Smile

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 4:01 PM

Trampledunderhorseshoofus

Well nearly as they missed, arranged to take pictures of cavalry charging head on, in the briefing I was told the horses would go to the right when they got close, good plan but unfortunately the horses was not involved in the briefing.
Result was they went left and over me. Unfamiliar with horses at the time I tried to roll across the ground out of the way and curled into a ball, Worse possible move as I now know, I should have remained still and let them go round me. I've. Done lots with them sinse and been in the middle of a charge but standing still. Horses don't like standing on squishy things I'm toldWink.

LVanDhal
15 Feb 2013 - 4:01 PM

Quote: This leads me to ponder a question that I've asked myself several times over the years - do we actually have any fully fit healthy members here? Smile

In all honesty I think photography is a dangerous business/hobby/occupation, we all amateur and prof alike take a lot of risks for the sake of our portfolios, and in quieter moments i wish it at least carried the cache of Amateur/Profesional racing car driver, you know that sort of "You are mad but
sort of brave" reverence, instead of "Uhmmm nice pic, you must have a good camera" sort of view lol.
Maybe we should be able to get our own personal photographers insurance lol, for our own specific "Risks"

LVanDhal
15 Feb 2013 - 4:07 PM

Quote: Trampledunderhorseshoofus

Well nearly as they missed, arranged to take pictures of cavalry charging head on, in the briefing I was told the horses would go to the right when they got close, good plan but unfortunately the horses was not involved in the briefing.
Result was they went left and over me. Unfamiliar with horses at the time I tried to roll across the ground out of the way and curled into a ball, Worse possible move as I now know, I should have remained still and let them go round me. I've. Done lots with them sinse and been in the middle of a charge but standing still. Horses don't like standing on squishy things I'm toldWink.

I've been chased full pelt across a field by a ravenous pack of "Miniature" ponys.........They may look all cute and tiny at a distance but trust me once they decide to turn they are out right creepy and speedy, don't care what the onlookers said after they picked me out of the ditch, those ponys had pure hate in their eyes., ( I was NOT over reactingSad )
Horses beautiful to look at but I find them difficult to understand.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 4:22 PM

On 1st January a three of years ago I awoke to a stunning sunrise so grabbed my gear and headed out. I decided to climb over a field gate to get a better viewpoint for my chosen shot. I had my DSLR with newly acquired 70-300mm zoom attached. On the way over my foot slipped and I realised I was going to fall off the top of the gate. Rather than knacker my camera I "chose" to knacker my knee instead by twisting round so as to protect my gear as I fell. The upshot was I spent a couple of hours in casualty having animal slurry cleaned out of a gaping wound. I hadn't even taken a single shot.

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 4:36 PM

Ruptured a disk in my spine while picking up my camera gear and twisted round! I was chased across a field by a bull, dived over the fence before it managed to tenderise me and finished up in a pile of his s**t. Taking some shots in Huddersfield along one of the canals, slipped and yes, you've guessed it, the camera was safe as I went in! Another time, here on Tenerife, I was taking some shots on a rocky shoreline, when a large wave came along and soaked me and my gear! The wave knocked me backwards and was seeing stars for a while. The things we do for a picture.... It might be safer being a Formula 1 driver and its better paid!
Stephen

martin.w
martin.w e2 Member 12352 forum postsmartin.w vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 4:39 PM

Quote: This leads me to ponder a question that I've asked myself several times over the years - do we actually have any fully fit healthy members here? Smile

Yup. Nearly 30 years of Landscapery and at least the last 15 years Mountain Biking (both mostly in North Derbyshire) and only the odd bruise to show for it Grin

pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 4:47 PM

Got a 10" titanium plate in my leg from a photography related accident 3 years ago! I was shooting a neighbours family gathering in their garden when it started to rain. I grabbed my camera gear, tripod and all, and rushed to get inside out of the wet. At the top of a small set of steps, just as I was about to descend, my camera strap got caught in the branch of a bush. The speed of me going down the steps in conjunction with the tug of the strap was just enough to pull me off balance. Next thing I knew, i was at the bottom of the steps with a spiral break of the fibular!

Bearing in mind, I am often at the waters edge in huge swells, and hanging off precarious Cornish cliffs to get another seascape in the bag, it makes the actual cause of my only togging wound to seem all that more pathetic! TongueSmile

Rgds
Paul

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122319 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 5:10 PM

Tinnitus to the right ear 'ole whilst taking a photograph of a Magnum 500 being fired just a few feet away. I thought I had ear protection on.

20121102-tire-0018-37.jpg

20121102-tire-0018-67-edit.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.