Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographers jobs at risk with sneaky ideas.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 10:44 AM

If pros or semi pros want to whinge about how they've lost work because of how I see the digital image revolution. Then they should blame the very same camera companies they buy their kit from for making digital imaging more accessible to the ordinary man on the street!.......I mean lets face it guys a lot of the kit these days is pretty idiot proof!.......Still doesn't mean it's easy to take a good image, but it has made it it easier than using film.

A lot of so say pros these days wouldn't have a clue if you put a good quality film camera and light meter in they're hands and then told then to get on with it!

Ade

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2012 - 10:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023175 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 10:58 AM

Don't get me wrong - I wrote this after all but you can't moan about the way the value of images has been destroyed on one hand but be part of the weekend warrior brigade on the other.

Editorial photography is, on the whole, worth nothing, especially in the local news market. You will now always have plenty of people willing to supply their images for free just as you have a market place full of 'photographer cum day jobs'. Nothing will change on that score, it's a new world and a new way of working. The trick is to find a slot that you can make a living in.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 11:11 AM

Quote: The trick is to find a slot that you can make a living in.

Reckon you've hit the nail on the head there Keith, I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, I guess you would class me as an advanced amateur. But I have in the past sold images to folk....But only because I found my own little niche of taking images of things other togs rarely take images of.

Ade

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's been easy for many years for the amateur to encroach on professional territory, except in the early days the initial investment in gear might have been even less and only the constant cost of film was the deterrent. That, and the fact that you had to make some form of personal contact to sell pictures, whereas now it's possible to vend pictures completely facelessly and with little risk to ego.

Occasionally in the past I bemoaned microstock, and still don't like it, but its advent and effect was as inevitable as stock photography was many years ago when it plundered the rarified territory of the assignment photographer.

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 11:19 AM

I think that covers it perfectly, Not sure anything can be added after readin that Keith

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 2:04 PM

Kieth it's not a company so no argument there seeing we are talking facts here.Smile

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
31 Jan 2012 - 2:06 PM

Quote: Many punters do equate having a nice camera with being a good photographer.

That's why we did well selling expensive gear in the 60's & 70's fuelled by a dream...

mmmmmm

or a good sell!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 2:10 PM

Quote: Kieth it's not a company so no argument there seeing we are talking facts here

Are you charging for your services then, charging for your courses?

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41108 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 2:15 PM

Quote: Kieth it's not a company so no argument there seeing we are talking facts hereAre you charging for your services then, charging for your courses?

Of course i am but like i said it's not a company, there other types of business mine is not a company simples, work it out......Tongue

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023175 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 2:33 PM

If I started building kitchens on a weekend, Ian, how long do you think it would be before I could set up a non-company business website and start teaching other people how to build them...and build them properly?

Obviously I'd be keeping it simples.

ianrobinson
31 Jan 2012 - 2:37 PM

Now your confusing me Keith I assumed as did another person you were talking photography here not my Kitchen company but if that's the case I apologise.

ianrobinson
31 Jan 2012 - 2:40 PM

Quote: I wonder how Ian would view me if I decided to start offering a bit of part time kitchen design or even some bespoke production and then after a couple of years pottering about with that, I then decided that I would start to teach people how to do the same?

I don't own a photographic company

...but your website would argue against that.
Wink

How do I take that Kieth?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 2:51 PM

Quote: The trick is to find a slot that you can make a living in.

Yup...

Try this...

1 - Think of an idea....
2 - Do it
3 - Did it work?
YES - then DO MORE
NO - then STOP DOING IT AND DO SOMETHING ELSE
4 - go to 1

I think of my ideas/workstreams/products/whatever as horses in a race - they set off, some never leave the start line, others gallop off then falter and die after a while, others seem to plod a long, some sleep for ages then when they wake, they're amazing....

If you've only got the one horse....

ianrobinson
31 Jan 2012 - 2:55 PM

Oh by the way pottering around designing and making hand crafted Kitchens takes years and years of hard work and skill to achieve a top class kitchen so by all means crack on Kieth clearly it's so easy.
I have only been designing and making kitchens for 20 years.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2012 - 2:57 PM

is it me, or is there a "whoosh" moment happening?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.