Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photographers jobs at risk with sneaky ideas.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
31 Jan 2012 10:44AM
If pros or semi pros want to whinge about how they've lost work because of how I see the digital image revolution. Then they should blame the very same camera companies they buy their kit from for making digital imaging more accessible to the ordinary man on the street!.......I mean lets face it guys a lot of the kit these days is pretty idiot proof!.......Still doesn't mean it's easy to take a good image, but it has made it it easier than using film.

A lot of so say pros these days wouldn't have a clue if you put a good quality film camera and light meter in they're hands and then told then to get on with it!

Ade

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
31 Jan 2012 10:58AM
Don't get me wrong - I wrote this after all but you can't moan about the way the value of images has been destroyed on one hand but be part of the weekend warrior brigade on the other.

Editorial photography is, on the whole, worth nothing, especially in the local news market. You will now always have plenty of people willing to supply their images for free just as you have a market place full of 'photographer cum day jobs'. Nothing will change on that score, it's a new world and a new way of working. The trick is to find a slot that you can make a living in.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
31 Jan 2012 11:11AM

Quote:The trick is to find a slot that you can make a living in.

Reckon you've hit the nail on the head there Keith, I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, I guess you would class me as an advanced amateur. But I have in the past sold images to folk....But only because I found my own little niche of taking images of things other togs rarely take images of.

Ade
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
31 Jan 2012 11:11AM
It's been easy for many years for the amateur to encroach on professional territory, except in the early days the initial investment in gear might have been even less and only the constant cost of film was the deterrent. That, and the fact that you had to make some form of personal contact to sell pictures, whereas now it's possible to vend pictures completely facelessly and with little risk to ego.

Occasionally in the past I bemoaned microstock, and still don't like it, but its advent and effect was as inevitable as stock photography was many years ago when it plundered the rarified territory of the assignment photographer.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 11:19AM
I think that covers it perfectly, Not sure anything can be added after readin that Keith
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 2:04PM
Kieth it's not a company so no argument there seeing we are talking facts here.Smile
pabloisme e2
4 566 England
31 Jan 2012 2:06PM

Quote:Many punters do equate having a nice camera with being a good photographer.

That's why we did well selling expensive gear in the 60's & 70's fuelled by a dream...

mmmmmm

or a good sell!
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 2:10PM

Quote:Kieth it's not a company so no argument there seeing we are talking facts here
Are you charging for your services then, charging for your courses?
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 2:15PM

Quote:Kieth it's not a company so no argument there seeing we are talking facts hereAre you charging for your services then, charging for your courses?

Of course i am but like i said it's not a company, there other types of business mine is not a company simples, work it out......Tongue
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
31 Jan 2012 2:33PM
If I started building kitchens on a weekend, Ian, how long do you think it would be before I could set up a non-company business website and start teaching other people how to build them...and build them properly?

Obviously I'd be keeping it simples.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 2:37PM
Now your confusing me Keith I assumed as did another person you were talking photography here not my Kitchen company but if that's the case I apologise.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 2:40PM

Quote:I wonder how Ian would view me if I decided to start offering a bit of part time kitchen design or even some bespoke production and then after a couple of years pottering about with that, I then decided that I would start to teach people how to do the same?

I don't own a photographic company

...but your website would argue against that.
Wink

How do I take that Kieth?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
31 Jan 2012 2:51PM

Quote:The trick is to find a slot that you can make a living in.

Yup...

Try this...

1 - Think of an idea....
2 - Do it
3 - Did it work?
YES - then DO MORE
NO - then STOP DOING IT AND DO SOMETHING ELSE
4 - go to 1

I think of my ideas/workstreams/products/whatever as horses in a race - they set off, some never leave the start line, others gallop off then falter and die after a while, others seem to plod a long, some sleep for ages then when they wake, they're amazing....

If you've only got the one horse....
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2012 2:55PM
Oh by the way pottering around designing and making hand crafted Kitchens takes years and years of hard work and skill to achieve a top class kitchen so by all means crack on Kieth clearly it's so easy.
I have only been designing and making kitchens for 20 years.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
31 Jan 2012 2:57PM
is it me, or is there a "whoosh" moment happening?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.