Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographers jobs at risk with sneaky ideas.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
3 Feb 2012 - 1:06 PM

Kev, I've often thought about "the pick the frame you want" aspect of HD video. It's been discussed here before.

There's a few reasons why it's not as much of a threat to traditional stills as you might think.

Currently (due to the codecs used) a 1920 x 1080 still from an HD stream doesn't look quite as good as a jpeg at the same size. Play and pause some HD movies on your PC or freeze frame Frozen Planet on your digibox and you get the idea. They look amazing moving, not as good still.

In photo terms, HD video is not that high res 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 (A measly 2 megapixels)

The other thing is that if your video is 25 frames per second then your shutter speed can't be slower than 1/25s without losing frames.

It's true that picking from many frames taken quickly suits certain photography, sports, some wildlife, fashion. It wouldn't suit some other work like interiors, product photography, landscape, architeture etc.

Anyone considering a video camera would have to consider that there are DSLRs that have 12fps drive mode at full resolution and do video up to full HD (1920 x 1080) too. The two are definitely coming together.

If I was taking my video-capable DSLR to a sports event I'd still shoot stills. That might change in future

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Feb 2012 - 1:09 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Feb 2012 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graflex
Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Feb 2012 - 1:22 PM

Listen.I expect some bright spark has this design on the drawing board already...

Give it a week.

That's the speed of new equipment these days.

User_Removed
3 Feb 2012 - 1:26 PM

Quote: Give it a week

You miss the point that in order to create an illusion of movement video uses a couple of dozen frames per second. This limits what shutter speeds you can use in video. You can't do a 5 second landscape exposure.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2012 - 1:37 PM

I understand exactly what your saying and agree that in my own main focus there is definetly a possiblity in the near future, But in relationship to the slower speed genre could a work round for shutter speed not be developed if not already if not in camera tech but in software, Im sure HDR was a pipedream at one time and not possible and that is being designed now in camera, we are already seing cameras being developed with selective Dof and meny more processes that was uneque to the still camera at one time.

User_Removed
3 Feb 2012 - 1:44 PM

You can't have a good workaround for it really. Look at a reel of 24fps cine film, you have to put something on each frame.

Imagine it's pitch black in a forest and I do a two minute exposure to gather moonlight. Easy with stills.

Any workaround would mean making several seconds of frame blank or the same.

You can either gather light for a still or for movement take 25 frames every second, but you can't really have both.

It's beside the point anyway, the thing was about being able to take your pick of the best frames. It only works with photography that's shot fast. You don't need a video camera to shoot landscapes. Unlike a video of someone diving into a pool, there's not enough going on between frames that makes one that different from another.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Feb 2012 - 1:48 PM
Graflex
3 Feb 2012 - 4:12 PM

Im not talking landscapes,CL..

News gathering,,,

This is already being done world wide.Stills being removed from frames.In fact,news boys are turning more to video cameras (not through 'stills' cameras)Im talking HD Sony Broadcast here.

User_Removed
3 Feb 2012 - 8:07 PM

Yes but when I pointed out the downsides to pulling stills from video and the shutter speed problem you said "Listen.I expect some bright spark has this design on the drawing board already... Give it a week."

What were you referring to then?

Graflex
4 Feb 2012 - 10:34 AM

Joke...
Never take things seriously in this business.CL.

Had a look at your website,nice pictures,great to see you photographing people.

H.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.