Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographic Institute Professional course

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nicolaharrison
    12 Jan 2012 - 7:06 PM

I am laid up at the moment and looking to study something in photography. Does anyone have any feedback on the PI course or other courses?
    thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jan 2012 - 7:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014804 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2012 - 7:24 PM

Take a look at 123di.com

User_Removed
    12 Jan 2012 - 10:38 PM

Couple of the ePz staff went on the PI Course. There is a blog or review somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

User_Removed
    12 Jan 2012 - 11:07 PM

I can't see the exact thing but there's mention of it in some of these posts.

[edit]
    Oops just spotted it here when I went to close the tab

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Jan 2012 - 11:09 PM
    ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jan 2012 - 8:55 AM

Does this course give certification on completion for the course study, and would it be recognised if you want a job in one of many fields of photography.
    Might be worth having a look at this one that does give certified diplomas or try your local University website.

http://www.idesigni.co.uk/courses/dip-he/photography?_kk=photography%20courses&a...

Have a look here might be of interest.

nik111
    nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6322 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
    13 Jan 2012 - 9:25 AM

Hello,

After completing the Photography Institute course you are sent a certificate and when asked if the course is industry recognised the team at PI told us: "The Photography Institute are accredited by different bodies in different countries. For example in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, UK and Ireland they are accredited by the IARC. In the US and Canada they are accredited by the BBB."

Cheers,

Nikita.

nickjphotos
    14 Jan 2012 - 6:34 PM

I have finished this diploma course last year and have found it a very useful course, and the tutors are always there to help. There is a Facebook group that you can join where people share information and can also help if anyone gets stuck. The course did cost me 500, but was money well worth spent.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jan 2012 - 9:20 PM

That does sound good then I must say.

Graflex
    Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Jan 2012 - 9:11 AM

Frankly,if I was going to hire someone,a bit of paper wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

(a)did I think the person had a good personality and get on with people,and(b) produce the goods on time.

You don't go to school for that.

Blimey,if that's what people are charging I'd better set up my own school on how to get on in the real world of photography.

H.

pault511
    pault511  3 United Kingdom
    15 Jan 2012 - 12:17 PM

The PI are doing a special at the moment, now down to 350!!!!!Wink

fotokay
    fotokay  4 United Kingdom
    19 Jan 2012 - 2:11 PM

Quote: "The Photography Institute are accredited by different bodies in different countries. For example in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, UK and Ireland they are accredited by the IARC. In the US and Canada they are accredited by the BBB."

The IARC, if you visit their website, are a not-for-profit organisation which accredits (what appears to be) a lot of online and correspondence schools. The fact that it is accredited does not mean that the certificate you will get from the course will actually be recognised by any serious commercial entities.

Plan on doing this course to improve your photography with assignments and feedback, not to get a formal qualification. Is this worth 500 (or 350 - see below)? Only you can make that call.

Quote: The PI are doing a special at the moment, now down to 350!!!!!Wink

They regularly make this offer, but the only way to get it is to order their free prospectus. You then get added to a mailing list where you will get offered the discount. I've been getting the offer for some time (first one I've got archived in my email is from Sept 09) and it is always 200 off the full price (making the cost of the course 350). The current offer expires at the end of February.

Although I consider myself an advanced amateur (whatever that means!), I am quite tempted to do this course on the basis that I rarely get constructive feedback and would like to see how well I can shoot against assignments, especially in areas that lie outside my comfort zones.

I would love to do a proper degree in Photography, but the cost is a little intimidating (close to 5000 through the OCA).

BoardingInFive
    27 Jan 2012 - 9:39 AM

Everyone's experience with the PI course is different of course. Mine hasn't been very good.

I've been a 'competent' photographer for many years, and signed up on this course with two objectives; firstly to ensure I had no blind spots in theory or practice and secondly to learn what they promised to teach, 'how to find and keep work' and to 'generate an income from your photography'.

I'm currently on Module 10 out of the 12 contained in the course. My personal opinion is that for anyone who can already tell their Canon from their coccyx, it's going to be thin pickings. It would be an excellent course for someone who likes taking pictures and wanted to learn some serious theory and good practice behind it.

Up to module 10 I would say that the concentration has been on getting you to the point where you can take the best photograph you are capable of doing from a technical viewpoint. Obviously they can't do much to inject creativity where it doesn't already exist, but I don't think that's their objective.

In my case, all hope rests on the last two modules 11 and 12. Everything so far has been about what it is like to be a full time x, y or z style photographer, but not a single sentence on HOW to go about getting the work. So here's hoping the last two modules 'do what it says on the tin'!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.