Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographic Restrictions in the USA

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cmawson
    cmawson  10270 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Oct 2006 - 8:21 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been a topic elsewhere, but I'm off to the US in January & I'm wanting to take shots of cities such as New York, Washington DC, & Boston. I'm trying to find out if there are any general restrictions on photographing in these cities, etc. Especially since the 9/11 atrocities. My interest is primarily architecture & general cityscapes.

Can anyone advise me if there are or anywhere where I can get infomation of such (if any) restrictions.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Oct 2006 - 8:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
    20 Oct 2006 - 9:00 PM

Only place I've ever been stopped was in Federal Plaza, NY, where photography is banned. That was pre 9/11. I've been back to NY since and not had any problems anywhere else.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    20 Oct 2006 - 9:45 PM

Never had a problem in San Francisco last summer.

kaybee
    kaybee  93695 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2006 - 10:11 PM

Never had problems in Washington, Boston or San Fransisco

Nike55
    Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Oct 2006 - 1:34 AM

Not in your area but I didn't have any problems in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, Sacremento.

Thought they'd be a bit sniffy at the Hoover Dam, but they were more suspicious of people walking around not taking snaps. (Vehicles were being visually checked on the way in - those that normally wear a berka or jellaba could expect some delays)

If you are stopped for any reason I suggest you stand with your hands flat on the car roof, legs spread apart and don't reach for the compact camera in your waist band.

Joking apart, the only time you may incur interest is if you linger near any government/military establishments not on the tourist trail too long. (Groom Lake, White Sands, China Lake etc..)

Have a great trip!

billma
    billma  10119 forum posts United States
    21 Oct 2006 - 2:23 AM

Last Year we were taking reflection shots in a building next to the Federal Building in Salt Lake City and a guard came out across the street to see what we were doing. He said that we could not take pictures of the Federal building. I guess Timothy McVey had actually condidered this building prior to selecting the Oklahoma City Federal Building.

Perdiccas
    Perdiccas  790 forum posts Holy See (Vatican City State)
    21 Oct 2006 - 6:22 AM

Krages:The Photographer’s Right

This might be useful just so you are aware of your legal rights when in the US. Of course having federal, state and county laws and more law enforcement agencies than you can shake a stick at it might not cover all eventualities! Useful nonetheless. LOL!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.