Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographic subject matter interests and getting older.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Consulo
    Consulo  10768 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2013 - 2:14 PM

Greetings!

They say that when it comes to people's political views, many of those who were liberals when young become conservatives as they get older, and this got me thinking about photography. If you're a fully-fledged adult with a reasonable amount of years under your belt, would you say that your photographic tastes have changed as you have got older? Have you found an interest in, say, abstract photography that you had when you were younger has slipped away somewhat and that you now enjoy nature/landscape images more now (that's perhaps a crass analogy, but it's only for illustrative purposes)? Are your scope of subject interests the same, or perhaps even broader than they were?

Would be keen to read your thoughts.

Michael.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Feb 2013 - 2:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2013 - 2:49 PM

My main changes are I tend not to stop and take a photo I might have taken 12 years ago as I cant do it the same justice that's already been done by ePHOTOzine members over the years.
    Having been exposed to a huge depth of photography over the last 12 years through ePHOTOzine my level of expectation has also risen dramatically so I'm often disappointed with what I do. Results that would have been mounted, captioned and sent to magazines back in my freelance days never see the light of day now.

When I started I took abstracts, landscapes, still lives, etc...I still do, so subject's not changed dramatically.

I used to do gig photography in the 80s. I'm considering returning to that genre.

I was never good at bird photography...and that's still the same..and I doubt it will change.

I realise a lot of my photos do not contain people and I look back at people photos and think I wish I'd taken more then. I need to change that aspect.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110269 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2013 - 3:02 PM

I've only fairly recently come back to photography (about 10 years ago) so I guess the first change is that getting older has sparked an interest in doing something that used to be a work-related chore.

I find I'm now much more interested in trying to capture the feel of the moment of seeing a shot, rather than taking time to consider, compose and try to get "The Best" image. When I returned to photography found I was still taking "Scientific" shots, technically spot on lacking interest for me.

Now my customers tell me I'm to able to share some of the childlike excitement I get creating my images, a sort of "Did you just see that!" feel I get.

Its not to everyone's taste but the other thing i have found as I got older is that I don't care about that so much these days, I take my shots for me Grin

As to the breadth of subjects that excite me, I find I'm trying everything but street candids / photo-journalism, which I feel is too intrusive for my taste, maybe a case of "so much to do, so little time to do it" Wink

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2013 - 5:11 PM

Maybe I'll change my political leanings when I'm senile but whilst I keep most of my faculties I'll stick to photography. Yes I'm sure photographic tastes change, when I was a young man I used to like getting shots of attractive young women with few clothes, now I take photos of bl..dy flowers.
    I do actually still take the same types of photo as I did 35/40 years ago, but probably better quality.
    I never seen such fantastic images as I have in the last few years. The internet and digital have seen massive improvements to the quality if not composition of pictures.
    Ian

Last Modified By iancrowson at 7 Feb 2013 - 5:12 PM
    puertouk
    puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2013 - 5:15 PM

I think when you start out in photography, you are like the typical Japanese tourist, clicking at everything you see, until you realise, you don't like this or that, but you like this and that. Then, as you mature you tend to stick at what you do best, whether that's landscape, portrait, wildlife or whatever else floats your boat.

Some photographers still enjoy taking images of whatever they see, but maybe a little more subjective. I say, if you like what you see through your lense, take it. If you like your image, why worry what others may think, as long as you enjoy taking your camera out wherever it may be. There's always something out there that will make you think, that looks good, I'll take a shot of that. Just enjoy yourself and don't worry as you are not doing it for a living, but for your enjoyment and as your hobby.
    Stephen

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315367 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2013 - 5:59 PM

When I first started out it was pretty much everything including landscapes, but very few people pictures.

These days its pretty much all people and not much else.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64434 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2013 - 11:45 AM

I started off snapping everything and anything, and still do. But some things more than others.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.