Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

photographing a wedding in a church any rules?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AliceLuisePhotography

Well I am alevel photography student and it was my first church wedding I had to start somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
12 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

There's a legal maxim, "de minimis non curat lex" translated as "the law isn't concerned with trifles", which even HMRC has been known to follow.

Snappers need to ply for trade before they need to worry about tax and most would be employed so the tax allowance is already used up.

Evertonian
12 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Quote: I was booked a few days ago for a wedding today, however the bride and groom don't know they have a photographer

Maybe the B&G don't want a photographer, ever thought about that.

Has happened and as a result the TOG didn't get paid.

MikeA
MikeA  91174 forum posts England
12 May 2013 - 1:35 PM

Quote: To the Op, QUICK , put your tin hat on, Incoming. You just lit the touch paper when you said 50 quid. that will bring them all out. Gets popcorn, takes seat and gets ready to watch the show.

Btw well done for managing in what could have been a very difficult situation.

LOL.... been a few takers alreadyWink

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123952 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 5:00 PM

I have in the past been also booked by a bride's mother not because it was a surprise for the couple but because they didn't want a wedding photographer .... a challenging wedding and I did get paid.

Well done in completing your first challenging wedding.

Last Modified By peterjones at 12 May 2013 - 5:01 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 May 2013 - 5:06 PM

your only mistake......

mentioning weddings on this forum

Wink

scottishphototours

Quote: Well I am alevel photography student and it was my first church wedding I had to start somewhere.

Good on you. As you say, we all have to start somewhere and you've clearly made the Bride's day!

On a couple of points:

- never accept any booking from anyone other than the B&G - very difficult waters when you're trying to produce meaningful pictures of one set of people whilst trying to please another person.
- You've now told the world (and HMRC) that you've taken payment for your services. Do yourself a favour and teach yourself how to record these payments on a spreadsheet - just in case HMRC come calling - so you have a record of what you've been doing and what you've been paid. The business side of this is every bit as important as the actual taking of the pics.

thewilliam
18 May 2013 - 5:12 PM

One big danger is when a photo business grows from amateur into something substantial. At what stage do you declare to HMRC?

The usual rule is when you ply for trade, you're no longer amateur. One of our regular customers is an investigating inspector with HMRC and I met her, with her team, at a wedding fair. They were collecting business cards from the exhibitors and one team member was in a quiet corner, nose in laptop, checking whether the business was registered.

Many of the exhibitors hadn't registered their businesses with HMRC and so the inspector would pose as a prospect and casually ask how long the exhibitor had been in business. If longer than 90 days, a "sales meeting" would be set up and the poor exhibitor would talk him or herself into trouble. Most newbies would over-state their experience.

It seems that most would pay the penalty rather than risk a Court appearance and a prison sentence.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123952 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

I agree with the comments re HMRC; don't forget that HMRC also check out public websites such as these to uncover self employed individuals who haven't declared to the Revenue that they are self employed; in my experience and some others it is best to be straight with them, if you are just covering one wedding and your earning are minimal they will probably tell you not to bother but if you are wanting to cover weddings on some kind of regular basis you should would tell them.

The Revenue themselves do or did run courses FOC on self employent and completing their returns schedule; if you can post on EPZ and are earning under 15K pa ( I think it is 15K) filling in returns online is a minimal task; getting the returns right is maybe more onerous depending on your circumstances.

Sorry for the digression, Peter.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.