Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photographing Africa- Harry Hook

guidoa e2
13 1.4k United Kingdom
11 Mar 2014 8:42PM
Did anyone see this programme on BBC4 9pm yesterday? Some brilliant photos and subjects.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2014 12:16AM
quite brilliant and what a man, he had real empathy for the people he met and I loved the different reactions of the women he managed to find again after so long

Strange to see him using what looked like a medium format Pentax film camera but printing out some images using a digital printer Smile
Griff2012 e2
2 346 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2014 8:03AM
It was a moving programme. We should all take something from it - the women Harry Hook traced all said they were at their happiest right now. No looking back or worrying about the future.

Brian, he was using a medium format camera and explained to the herdsmen that the photos would need to be developed back in the UK before printing. The images he was printing off in the field were from digital copies of the original images he had taken thirty years ago. Wonderful images then and now, fragile times for those people.
12 Mar 2014 3:34PM
A fantastic programme. I didn't want it to end! I thought his camera was a medium format Fuji(?)
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2014 4:00PM
yep, I'd spotted that he was using a Medium Format film camera, my comments were about the juxtaposition of having a film camera and needing to send the films back to the UK whilst using the digital technology of what looked like a dye sub printer.

In my simple mind I wondered why he wasn't using a digital MF body, then he could have shown the cattle herders their images as he took them (as they seemed to expect)

It took nothing away from the brilliance of the programme or his images, 'twas merely a stray thought Smile
cuffit e2
8 190 2 England
12 Mar 2014 6:29PM
I also enjoyed this programme - the exposure on the final shots was excellent; the story telling excellent as well. I thought he might have brought digital images of the women that he had photographed with him so he could give them a print - but then he had prints to show the guide so that seemed odd. As mentioned by Brian, a very minor point in such a great programme.

Chris
sparrowhawk e2
6 268 2 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2014 8:37PM
totally entrawling programme thanks for pointing it out also very thought evoking too
StuartAt e2
10 1.0k 6 England
12 Mar 2014 9:41PM
Is it possible he was using a film body so that he didn't have to worry about battery charging in sometimes remote locations? Or perhaps he just likes the thrill of wondering if he nailed the shot! Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.