Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing Birds of Prey

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6535 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Feb 2011 - 9:13 AM

Hi all

A neighbour and friend of mine has asked me to take some pics of him and his Harris Hawk. He wants some images of the bird in flight, catching 'prey' etc.

I have to say that I have never done this sort of photography, and would welcome any tips you may have. I have a 400D with a 17-70mm lens, but may be able to borrow a longer 200mm zoom.

Thanks all.

Nige

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Feb 2011 - 9:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hazelmouse
    4 Feb 2011 - 10:45 AM

Suggest you contact Linda Wright (bzbee). She does photographs for ICBP at Newent (handily near me!) and teaches on their photography days.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6535 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Feb 2011 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the tip - have sent a PM.

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7824 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    4 Feb 2011 - 6:51 PM

You will probably need a longish lens to get close enough, and very good light, If I was using a 400 D, I would try AIservo mode with high frame rate, using center focus point, TV mode 1/1600 shutter speed, and then up the ISO to what you are comfortable with, if you are struggling because your aperture is too small, you could try centre weighted metering, and If that fails try shooting in manual setting or reduce the shutter speed slightly.

1-img-8020.jpg

This was taken with an old mark 1 200mm f 2.8 L, if you can borrow a fast aperture 200mm then it will help with the autofocusing speed

Last Modified By NeilS at 4 Feb 2011 - 6:52 PM
    User_Removed
    5 Feb 2011 - 7:29 PM

A bit of blur at the extremity of the wing tips adds to the overall effect of the shot. Yes - a 70-200 or 70-300 lens is about right.

But, by far, the most important factor is either to avoid photographing the jessies or removing them afterwards in PS. Nothing looks more horribly fake than the photo of a bird of prey with "unnatural" appendages trailing from a leg.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.