Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing Cars...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mike5537
    mike5537  1 United Kingdom
    26 Mar 2013 - 12:07 PM

Later this week I am going out in the new Maclaren MP4-12c with a very gracious man who lives near me who has agreed to take me for a spin and for me to photograph it. I'd like some tips, advise, ideas etc for creative shots that I should try out so I don't end up wasting the opportunity. My dream job would be a car reviewer/photographer so I plan to write an article of my thoughts afterwards too.

I have a D7000 with an 18-105mm, tamron 70-300mm and a 50mm prime lens, plus my flashgun.

All ideas would be gratefully received, also if anyone knows of a great location to shoot a car in the oundle/peterborough area that would help too!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Mar 2013 - 12:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Spencer1966
    26 Mar 2013 - 12:28 PM

check out Tims work for some inspiration - http://www.ambientlife.co.uk/

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72149 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 12:29 PM

Shooting from a low pov, with a wide angle creates some dramatic images.
    I tend to prefer using a tripod when photographing cars, so you can use ~F16 for better overall detail throughout, at a low shutter speed.
    That said, you can get very creative with a shallow depth of field too, so it's worth experimenting.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 12:51 PM

Quote: I am going out in the new Maclaren MP4-12c

Lucky chap! Maybe he'll let you take the wheel? Wink

Quite a lot of outdoor shots of cars have them on grass, gravel or other plain surface. Don't take the photo in a car park which has a lot of white lines. You will spend ages in PS removing these distractions! Grin

mike5537
    mike5537  1 United Kingdom
    26 Mar 2013 - 1:15 PM

Spencer - thanks for the link, a bit advanced for my abilities i think but some interesting angles to try!

arhb - how long shutter speeds do you mean? I don't yet own an ND filter so cant push it too far that way!

Carabosse - I am secretly hoping he throws me the keys but not going to hold my breath on that one!

blastedkane
    26 Mar 2013 - 3:56 PM

Also...... if you can go out in your car then you could take the "Panning" style. Just get to a quiet secion of dual carriage way and match speed. a slower shutter speed will mean the road blurs while the car (theoretically) stays still

http://www.victor-hew.com/miscelaneous/project-001-shooting-moving-cars-in-a-moving-car/

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72149 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 4:02 PM

Quote: Spencer - thanks for the link, a bit advanced for my abilities i think but some interesting angles to try!
    arhb - how long shutter speeds do you mean? I don't yet own an ND filter so cant push it too far that way!

Carabosse - I am secretly hoping he throws me the keys but not going to hold my breath on that one!

What I meant was, if you're ISO is 100 and you have the aperture at F16, you will need a tripod to steady a shot with for example 1/10sec shutter speed for the correct exposure -
    the ambient light will determine the actual shutter speed, but at f16 it might be low.
    No ND filters assumed Smile

Last Modified By arhb at 26 Mar 2013 - 4:03 PM
    puertouk
    puertouk  21054 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 4:38 PM

Try using f22 and your flash, off camera, with the flash at different positions around the car. You can get some really good atmospheric shots. Get really low down for some shots. Make sure you turn the wheels at an angle. If you can get a small pair of step ladders, use them as well. Get shots in the countryside and also in a industrial area, which again can be very atmospheric. Maybe check out Sekonic site for some tips with flash. Hope this helps and enjoy your day with the Mclaren.
    Stephen

Philo
    Philo e2 Member 464 forum postsPhilo vcard England83 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 7:11 PM

Ade does some damn good stuff too.
    Phil

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014740 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Mar 2013 - 7:59 PM

Cheers Phil - hopefully cars will be coming out of hibernation soon... if this snow ever disappears!

I use a mix of techniques

HDR is very effective outside if you've not got huge lights...

If it's getting dark, strobist techniques work just fine too - experiment with the lights though - you don't always want hot spots reflecting in the bodywork

I've hung out of windows of moving cars shooting in the tunnels of the A58 in Leeds

Also, I like using my 85mm 1.8 to pick out details and blur stuff.

Met a young pro car tog at focus - he does a LOT of post processing to great effect - has done shoots in the desert and everything

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.