Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing diamonds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dvaid
    Dvaid  5166 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Mar 2013 - 2:58 PM

Anyone have any tips please on photographing diamond(s) in a ring?

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Mar 2013 - 2:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2013 - 3:09 PM

Focus is really critical with diamonds & to get the pattern of the cut, you need to focus on the back of the stone. If you have live view on your camera it can help as you can zoom in and then manually focus to get it exact.
    Takes a few goes to get it right & you also need to light it correctly otherwise you will lose detail with the light bouncing off the stone.

Dvaid
    Dvaid  5166 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Mar 2013 - 3:17 PM

Yes thanks.
    I found focusing to be best on the mount then the stone facts show nicely, but what about lighting? I have tried ambient in a small products tent, but the stone looks flat, and flash off to one side which was better, but I'm not getting the coloured dispersions that I'd expect.

Any tips on lighting?

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2013 - 3:38 PM

You need more than one light. When I did some product shots for a local jeweler I was using a light tent, a couple of studio lights and an led light for extra sparkle. The focus on the facets rather than the mount is what is used to show the stone to it's best advantage as you show the quality of the cutting.

puertouk
    puertouk  21010 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2013 - 6:20 PM

Try using a black velvet cloth. That way the diamonds stand out more. I also suggest using a hand held light meter to get the correct reading.

janeez
    janeez e2 Member 51147 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Mar 2013 - 7:24 PM

I am just in the process of producing images for a jewellers website. One thing that is essential for them is clarity of the diamonds. They must be white and not yellow looking. Some lighting can seriously distort the natural colour of the stones.

Buchephalus
    31 Mar 2013 - 8:41 PM

Have a look at thisSmile

MichaelMelb_AU
    31 Mar 2013 - 11:50 PM

Quote: .....I'm not getting the coloured dispersions that I'd expect.

Any tips on lighting?

I never held a diamond in my hand - except diamond coated instrument. So I am not an expert. But would like to share a tip that may prove to be useful (or not). Diamonds are valued between stones like beautiful women between people. We are all familiar with fantastic magazine images of both. Light, focusing, etc. are really important, but it's a no-go without Photoshop. Do you take your images in RAW? Do you process them? As for lighting - if I ever have a chance to try, black velvet background and movable pointy light would be my first guess. Might try some HDR and image combining techniques as well. And macro lens&tripod I guess do not need to be even mentioned - it's a default.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.