Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photographing in public places and the Police

22 Feb 2010 12:45PM
This disturbing article has appeared on The Guardian website.
I know the topic has been debated before but this really brings it home.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/21/photographer-films-anti-terror-arrest
I will certainly think more than twice if I see Police around and I don't think I should have to!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 12:59PM
Hmmm yes. I agree they did no wrong, but passing on details would have avoided the situation I think. Poor handling on both sides??
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
22 Feb 2010 1:02PM
I'm trying to work out what the officers in this were going to get out at the end of it all - so far all I can come up with is that they get the name and address of someone who owns a camera who also takes photos in the street - and I can't come up with much else.

I wonder are cameras (of the SLR variety) going to come under some future licencing act and thus in preparation for this act its essential to get the details of every photographer in the country first so they can't back out?

Anyone else got any theories?
fraser 10 631 14 Scotland
22 Feb 2010 1:10PM
Can't get us under anti-terrorism law they'll get us under anti-social behaviour. What a cocked up and petty little country we live in.
sophis 8 136 6 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 1:14PM
I have to agree with the photographer for not wanting to give his details why should he have his details put onto the system for taking innocent images and how can photographing a festival be suspicious? all I can say is the police must have been really bored that day.
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 1:25PM

Quote:members of the public were "concerned about the way in which [Patefield] was using his camera".

Someone had probably decided he was some sort of pedo & called the police by the sound of it....marvellous!
sidaorb 8 3.9k 2 England
22 Feb 2010 1:38PM
Bored now, another one sided report and the resulting speculation etc etc.

We weren't there so didn't witness ALL the events as they actually happened, we weren't in the police control room and haven't seen if there were any reports.

Just another report to try and drive a wedge between both groups, obviously a very quiet news day because most of the Christmas celebrations around here ended 2 months ago!
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 1:43PM

Quote: Christmas celebrations around here ended 2 months ago!
What I missed it???
Fluke 7 59 Wales
22 Feb 2010 3:52PM
Bored police with egos the size of small planets wanted to show member of public who's boss, total wasters.
markharrop 10 191 England
22 Feb 2010 4:24PM
Just makes me feel angry and worried that the excuse of photography anywhere can be classed as "possibly antisocial", it's the biggest load of rubbish I have heard of.

I am off to London for the next couple of days with my camera, going to the tourist places, I just hope I don't get stopped by anyone, because I don't think I would be as polite as the gentleman in the film.

Really cannot understand what this country is coming too. Grrrrrrr.
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
22 Feb 2010 6:04PM
Slow news day?
An incident (minor) happened before Christmas and the Guardian now thinks it is newsworthy?

Yawn
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2010 7:43AM
Ultimately its your own decision. You can get it over and done with quickly by giving your details or you can play games with the Police and finish up at the Police Station which I consider would be fun if you have the time.

However, I have had a thought. Not ever having being arrested I am not familiar with procedures at the police station. What do the police do to get a DNA sample from you. If as on TV they ask you to swab the inside of your mounth -- what happens if you refuse to allow them to take a swab.
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
23 Feb 2010 8:44AM

Quote:-- what happens if you refuse to allow them to take a swab.

They might be trained in how to take swaps covertly..............I think three of them hold you down while you get a knee in the back and one other 'fish hooks' your mouth........all without you noticing! or maybe they just give you a drink etc and then take the cup for testing Smile

Actually I've no idea & don't really want to find out from first hand experience
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
23 Feb 2010 8:47AM

Quote:However, I have had a thought. Not ever having being arrested I am not familiar with procedures at the police station. What do the police do to get a DNA sample from you. If as on TV they ask you to swab the inside of your mounth -- what happens if you refuse to allow them to take a swab.

plastic gloves come to mind Wink WinkTongue
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
23 Feb 2010 11:06AM

Quote:plastic gloves come to mind Wink WinkTongue

They do take a swab from your mouth. Just a bit of spit really and yes, they do wear plastic gloves while they're dong it!
However, I think you would have to have been officially arrested before it got to that stage.

Quote:finish up at the Police Station which I consider would be fun if you have the time.

I doubt that it would be. If you caused sufficient trouble over something so minor, they'd probably make sure you didn't consider it "fun"!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.