Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Photographing in public places and the Police

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Fluke
Fluke  659 forum posts Wales
23 Feb 2010 - 12:49 PM

Quote: If you caused sufficient trouble over something so minor, they'd probably make sure you didn't consider it "fun"!

is that because they are humourless thugs dressed up in uniforms?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2010 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
23 Feb 2010 - 1:54 PM

Quote:
is that because they are humourless thugs dressed up in uniforms?

That's precisely the kind of attitude that would ensure it's not "fun".

kaybee
kaybee  103761 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2010 - 2:30 PM

Quote: what happens if you refuse to allow them to take a swab.

They are authorised to take hair samples ............... by the roots
and it doesn't have to be from your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User_Removed
23 Feb 2010 - 2:40 PM

Quote: members of the public were "concerned about the way in which [Patefield] was using his camera".

Do you not think they were worried as he had the camera on auto and really should have had it set to manual.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102239 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2010 - 6:46 PM

Quote: Someone had probably decided he was some sort of pedo & called the police by the sound of it....marvellous!

That's what I reckoned. In (reluctant) defence of the police, I have to say that it is my understanding that you can take photos in a public place:
a) if you don't obstruct the pavement or highway e.g. tripod.
b) you don't take a photo that makes the subject look ridiculous or humiliated.
c) you are not in a building. I think taking photos in an indoor shopping mall can be prohibited.
d) but not if someone tells you that they object to you taking their photo.
Maybe on the last count the police were right in principle; that's assuming the police were telling the truth i.e. that someone did actually tell the police that they objected to the photographer taking their photos.
However, as has already been said, the police didn't handle things well at all.

JamesGarfield
23 Feb 2010 - 8:11 PM

In this day and age where people blow themselves up on the underground, have explosives hidden in their underwear on planes why wouldn't you want to co-operate with the police when questioned quite reasonably about what you're doing, camera or no camera?!?!?!
Last year in New York a security officer called us over to the building he was guarding, it was a federal building and I was taking pictures near it, I did not know it was a federal building. He asked what i was doing and what i was taking pictures of. I was more than happy to explain and i showed him the pictures on the memory card. He was happy and thanked me for my co-operation, I thanked him and went on my way, the time taken out of my day and his to go through this check was 5 minutes, I went on to enjoy the rest of my day and he went on to carry out his duties.
I have no sympathy for this guy who clearly thinks it's ok to waste 3 members of the Police forces time and 8 hours of his. I am in no way connected to the police and have to say that IMPO this guy acted like an idiot just made life a little harder for all of us, if you have nothing to hide why wouldn't you co-operate regardless of what your rights are?

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102239 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Feb 2010 - 4:49 PM

I have to say that over the years, I have been approached by police while taking photos in cities but they were always polite and friendly when I explained what I was doing and they allowed me to continue - probably because I tried to be polite and frank in my answers. This was between the 1980's and 1990's - I suppose things have changed a good deal since then but nevertheless, it is silly to excacerbate these situations.
However, in a hypothetical situation, if I honestly felt the police were being unreasonable and downright unlawful, I would still cooperate but I would insist on taking their numbers while letting them know that I would send in a written complaint to my MP, the newspapers etc.
Of course, it pays to be really certain of your rights in these situations.

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
1 Mar 2010 - 12:57 AM

I've said it before, you do not really have the right not to give your details, you see failure to do so will end in arrest where you'll end up giving them those details along with your DNA.

ventile
ventile  7152 forum posts Wales
1 Mar 2010 - 8:08 AM

Ah,the section 2 act,all it is,they don't want you to take photos in this country no-more!Simple has that!
Countryside you may be alright,but towns and cities will be a no-no!
Good old police just doing they job,yeah right.

Last Modified By ventile at 1 Mar 2010 - 8:08 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.