Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

photographing large naked ladies

hook 7 706 England
11 May 2012 10:10AM
Hi all
i dont want this to turn out to be a controversial thread.
I am shooting next years cancer calendar for a local charity and have taken on the theme of totally naked ladies of all shapes and sizes some slim some large. some large is not good in my mind as i know it will be a (honestly) hard task to make them feel good about themselves along side the slimmer ladies.

is there any tips apart from the norm of above and telephoto etc. and has anybody seen and other work of large naked ladies ?

MK

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 May 2012 10:14AM
The first thing that springs to mind is 'Calendar Girls'. If the calendar doesn't have to show all then don't do it. It's possible with some imagination to come up with poses and props which will allow the ladies to feel good about themselves.

One thing which definitely won't help them feel comfortable is if you start treating the larger ladies any differently to the smaller ones.

Good luck.

Ian
ray1 10 519 1 England
11 May 2012 10:29AM
Im not sure that's how it will be. I did something similar a couple of years ago and the larger ladies were more than happy and if anything more up for it than the others. We had a good laugh and it wasa fun hour.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
11 May 2012 10:39AM

Quote:is there any tips apart from the norm ?

The bigger they are, the further back you'll have to stand. Wink
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
11 May 2012 10:57AM
rotfl! Grin
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
11 May 2012 11:10AM

Quote:The bigger they are, the further back you'll have to stand

You could always get a fisheye lens....Tongue

Ade
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
11 May 2012 11:44AM
Tell them you're extremely good at Photoshop and, by the time you have manipulated their images, they will look positively sylph-like! Wink
Eastlands e2
3 659 3 Northern Ireland
11 May 2012 11:50AM
Treat them with respect whatever the size, encourage them to have fun, let them contribute with ideas for the photoshoot, delete images they are not comfortable with and praise their efforts.
11 May 2012 12:12PM
Yes well said John.

....................................................then stand way back so you can get them all in! Wink
conrad 10 10.9k 116
11 May 2012 12:19PM
Brings back memories of that film, Calendar Girls, I loved that film. 'We're going to need considerably bigger buns!' LOL, very funny.
hook 7 706 England
11 May 2012 1:44PM
some of you are so predictable !!!!!!!!!!
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
11 May 2012 1:51PM
Ian and Ray have it spot on. Don't treat them any differently to the other girls, if you do, it will show. It takes guts to strip off for these things, so have fun.

I did a charity calendar a couple of years ago, using 6 male and 6 female cyclists and a couple of the chaps, by their own admission, did not look like your typical cyclist, but they were the ones who enjoyed their shoot the most, had a laugh and it really showed in the images. On the other side of the coin, a chap with a model physique was much more shy and looked uncomfortable, it took twice as long to get his shot. He was also in the studio & they were outdoors at a bike race with an audience Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
11 May 2012 2:00PM

Quote:Some of you are so predictable !!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on - you can't post a thread like this and not expect some levity! Grin

Surely common sense dictates the common sense answers on this?
11 May 2012 2:18PM
Spot on CB.

Even big girls should be photographed. That's what I say! Wink

(Time to bail out of this one me thinks.)
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
11 May 2012 2:19PM

Quote:some large is not good in my mind as i know it will be a (honestly) hard task to make them feel good about themselves along side the slimmer ladies.

I think that is rather patronising - you are just as likely to get the slimmer ones being nervous about their nudity. They are old enough to know how they feel in comparison to slimmer women and I have no doubt that if they were that embarassed they would not do it. It seems the problem lies with your preconceptions - and you stand more chance of making them uncomfortable if you walk into the shoot with that at the back of your mind.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.